Hedden - Introduce yourself! Chad Hedden Hall Forum 108 08-08-2012 10:13 AM
Introduce Yourself! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 06-08-2010 03:41 PM

SOCS - Introduce yourself!

Old 07-15-2010 at 10:13 PM   #46
cory_1991

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedust View Post
Strait from the streets .... i lost my socs .. does this mean i get free ones!!
SOCS is free... free for 5 dollars...

Caleb likes this.
Old 07-15-2010 at 10:52 PM   #47
Lilylune

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Wow! Med Rad, eh? I have a friend who got into that! Definitely a small program, so congrats!

As for books, I took History 1A03 and 1AA3, and have the books. Took Music 1A03 and 1AA3 as well, but no books. awesome classes though!
Haha really? That's awesome. I hope I get to meet him/her in September.

And yeahh that $5 SOCS thing - does it just get you discounts at stores and stuff? Or are there events you can go to too?
Old 07-15-2010 at 10:56 PM   #48
Caleb

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilylune View Post
Haha really? That's awesome. I hope I get to meet him/her in September.

And yeahh that $5 SOCS thing - does it just get you discounts at stores and stuff? Or are there events you can go to too?

There are so many events and discounts available for Socs members! dances, formals, activities, discounts, the list goes on! I believe Andrew Marlowe mentioned it all in an earlier post (page 1), but I would definitely advise getting it! Pays for itself pretty quickly!

It's $5 during welcome week, and $20 after that (dropped from last year's price).
Old 07-15-2010 at 11:04 PM   #49
SilverHawley

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_1991 View Post
Hey Val,

Thanks for commenting to the thread! I just wanted to say hey because I am also in Humanities I! Maybe we have some classes together? If not, maybe Ill see you around campus.

Cheers

Cory

I looked at your courses and we don't. :/ I was going to take a history, but switched to English at the last minute. I was soooo tempted to take the music histories just because they'd be similar to past courses I've taken, but I decided not to xD

Even though we don't have any classes together, I hope to see you around campus! =D
Old 07-16-2010 at 12:26 AM   #50
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

If anybody's busting the GO Train, I'll be on it from Oakville. So, yeah. Tons of fun.

shay2014 likes this.
Old 07-16-2010 at 09:31 AM   #51
Lilylune

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
There are so many events and discounts available for Socs members! dances, formals, activities, discounts, the list goes on! I believe Andrew Marlowe mentioned it all in an earlier post (page 1), but I would definitely advise getting it! Pays for itself pretty quickly!

It's $5 during welcome week, and $20 after that (dropped from last year's price).

Oh yeah I thought I read about it somewhere! -bad memory-
Sorry for the stupid question but when is welcome week? And are the dances and formals spread out through the year, or near the beginning/end?
Old 07-16-2010 at 09:47 AM   #52
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilylune View Post
Oh yeah I thought I read about it somewhere! -bad memory-
Sorry for the stupid question but when is welcome week? And are the dances and formals spread out through the year, or near the beginning/end?
Welcome week is September 4/5 (depending on your move-in date) until the 10th.

I don't really remember when the formals were, I think res-wide was sometime in the middle before the break.
Old 07-16-2010 at 10:00 AM   #53
greeno03

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_1991 View Post
Hey Brittany,

Welcome to McMaster! I'm only going into first year, but maybe I will see you around campus? what program are you in?

Cory

PS: How much is it costing you for you house?
Thanks and I'm hoping to major in political science and communications so I'll be taking a mix of first year courses and second year politics courses. How about yourself? And the house is about $435 a month (including utilities).
Old 07-16-2010 at 10:13 AM   #54
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

A lot of the formals tend to be around the same time, which is why not many students go to more than a couple. December, January, and February tend to be when they're held. Some are larger, like Charity Bal- but each faculty also has their own, and a lot of clubs do as well.

SOCS always has their formal on the weekend of Frost Week though, which is the first week back from the break.

resh.jyoti says thanks to Marlowe for this post.
Old 07-16-2010 at 10:49 AM   #55
resh.jyoti

Liked: 29 Times

Hey guys!
Great to see the number of people living off-campus This is my first year in SOCS, I was in McKay before, and I'm a 5 minute bus-ride away from Mac

So, stupid question, sorry, but how do you pay the $5 or whatever for SOCS membership? Sounds like a lot of fun
Old 07-16-2010 at 10:55 AM   #56
sayok8737

Liked: 7 Times

Awesome idea
Hey guys, I'm Ines! I live in Stoney Creek, so it'll be about a 45 minute bus ride for me to get to campus!
Ahhhh I'm soooooo excited for September ahahhahaaaa!
Old 07-16-2010 at 11:50 AM   #57
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by resh.jyoti View Post
Hey guys!
Great to see the number of people living off-campus This is my first year in SOCS, I was in McKay before, and I'm a 5 minute bus-ride away from Mac

So, stupid question, sorry, but how do you pay the $5 or whatever for SOCS membership? Sounds like a lot of fun
I'm not sure where we'll be selling them during Welcome Week, but I assume it will be from the SOCS office. I'll find out and let you know!
Old 07-16-2010 at 03:51 PM   #58
cory_1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayok8737 View Post
Awesome idea
Hey guys, I'm Ines! I live in Stoney Creek, so it'll be about a 45 minute bus ride for me to get to campus!
Ahhhh I'm soooooo excited for September ahahhahaaaa!
Hey thanks for posting on the thread
I think you have one of the farthest commutes so far lol
Don't worry though its all for a good cause aha
Congrats on getting into Business!

Cory
Old 07-16-2010 at 03:55 PM   #59
cory_1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by resh.jyoti View Post
Hey guys!

Hey dont worry its not a stupid question.
You can buy the SOCS membership on Welcome Day for $5 or after for $20.
The SOCS office is loacted downstairs of the Student Center (when you walk in from the parking lot and into the student center, turn left and go down the stairs and follow your way around the hall. The SOCS office is on your right.)
My guess is that on Welcome Day, SOCS will have like a "booth"or info desk located upstairs in the Student Center for the convenience of the students. Not 100% sure though...

Hope this helps!

Cory
Old 07-16-2010 at 04:00 PM   #60
cory_1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno03 View Post
Thanks and I'm hoping to major in political science and communications so I'll be taking a mix of first year courses and second year politics courses. How about yourself? And the house is about $435 a month (including utilities).
Hey,

Well Im going into Humanities I and my main focus is on History (Ill probably major in history in my 2nd year). Hoping to teach highschool history one day lol Maybe we have some classes together? What does your schedule look like? I have a mix of Humanities electives...

History 1A03
History 1AA3
History 1BB3
German 1Z06
Philos 1A03
Music 1A03
Music 1AA3
Relig St 1B06

Let me know, maybe Ill see you around campus or talk to you later?

Cory