Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Socs zaki First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-15-2008 10:06 PM
SOCS WW Rep Maria Welcome Week Repping 1 01-28-2008 09:38 AM
Socs lorend Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 5 08-13-2007 10:04 PM
Socs? kara.86 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 4 08-01-2007 11:15 PM

SOCS... not just for your feet

SOCS...Not Just For Your Feet

JOANNA SIMION, MACINSIDERS

SOCS has been good to me my entire university career here at McMaster... Going into my 4th year in 2008, it will be my 3rd Welcome Week as a rep and 4th Welcome Week altogether. Over these years, I have met the friends that will probably be with me for the rest of my life. I don't know anyone that is moderately social, with some kind of sense of humor, and a need to have fun who had a bad experience with SOCS... But still not many people know who we are and even more think we are associated with Social Science... we are not SOC SCI... we are SOCS... completely different acronym people, although I can understand the misunderstanding... SOCS are from all faculties, all years, even some grad students that come to see and catch up with their younger friends.

Those who stick around past the first year tend to stick around for the rest of their university careers and can't imagine where they would be without this amazing group of people... I know I can't... I have had too many fun experiences, spirit pubs, and laughs with this group and there's no way I can turn my back on the society that made me comfortable with life as a university student. SOCS isn't just about fun and drinking or whatever people think... Everyone involved that STAYS involved becomes integrated into the group because, deep down, we all have something that connects us, whether it be a similar faculty or program, similar hometowns, similar sense of humor, or whatever it may be. We help each other through tough times and support each other when we need it the most. SOCS isn't just about the parties,...

We have Academic Success Series, which, despite its unforunate acronym, is geared at helping students to understand the university curriculum, obtain new ways of thinking about things, take better notes, study more effectively for exams, etc. SOCS is a support system that only benefits more from having students from all years, all faculties... Chances are, there's someone in SOCS that has taken your class before and can help you out if you need it. Also, no SOCS member I know would turn anyone down for help.

So how does this differ from res? Obviously res kids are usually from all faculties, but chances are, there are much fewer upper year students than there are first years. But SOCS provides kids with the peace of mind that you DONT need to be on a floor of a residence with dozens of other students in order to make friends. You can live at home or a student house and STILL have a successful and fun social life. I know the competition between res and SOCS over Welcome Week is huge, there's no doubt. Although sometimes it gets messy and unsportsmanly, in the end both res and SOCS only strives to make first years comfortable. I'm sure somewhere a res rep is convincing a first year that WW is only about winning the WW cup and that SOCS are evil, etc etc... but eventually SOCS kids and res kids meet in their classes and realize neither side is evil after all...

I can't speak for res but I know for SOCS we don't condone unsportsmanly behavior, since the judges see and tend to take off points for it... but also because we know that none of these students' classes will be completely off-campus students... except perhaps some 4th year classes since most people move out on their own by then. Also, SOCS is about fun, we really don't care what contests we win, our priority is to make sure as many first year students as possible are having fun, asking their questions, and become at ease with the university way of life.

For me personally, this organization has brought me the closest friends I have ever had and life without them would not only be boring but lonely. Who would I vent to when I've had a bad day? Who would comfort me after a break up? Who would laugh at me for acting crazy the night before or the afternoon before for that matter, because everyone knows SOCS doesnt NEED alcohol to have fun... we sign a contract for Welcome Week and we stick to this contract... we can still have fun, act crazy and keep people interested, even while completely stone sober. These people have become my family and are always there whether I want them to be or not :p There's always something fun to do in the SOCS lounge, where people go to chill between classes. But the lounge has become our home, and these people have become my family, with all their faults and quirkiness, I can't imagine what my life would be like if they were never a part of it... Each person in my life is unique, and they all bring something into the group that would make it lonely without them...

I LOVE SOCS... there's no other way I know to have fun than at a SOCS event... where everyone is just there to have fun, not hate, respect one another and be there if anyone needs a wing man (or woman) or a safe ride home or a place to stay.

I started out talking about SOCS but ended up talking about a family... a group of people that are so incredibly special and dear to my heart that I can't imagine not having them around to bug the hell out of me or support me throughout my smallest or darkest problems. Anyone who becomes a part of this group won't want to leave, they make you feel like you're important and you belong... and who wouldn't want to feel special every day they're with their closest friends?
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post

Article Tools