MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minor in Software Engineering? Jeger First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 06-11-2010 02:25 AM
Minor in Software Engineering? Jeger Academics 2 06-08-2010 03:38 PM
Software Engineering Courses... EngLufLuf Academics 1 02-21-2010 11:59 PM
Engineering Management hork0 Academics 2 01-27-2010 07:06 PM

Software Engineering & Management

Old 05-31-2010 at 12:09 AM   #1
TheAxtmann

Liked: 3 Times

Software Engineering & Management
Does anyone in software engineering have any tips for preparingfor second year? I'm having a pretty boring summer anyway so I guess a little work done to make second year easier can't hurt.

I wouldn't mind trying to learn syntax for a new programming language or two, or even just doing some theory reading. Any suggestions?
Old 05-31-2010 at 12:35 AM   #2
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

I'm not in software eng nor management, but I can say this: Learn yourself some Ocaml. From what I've heard, the language sucks and is a pain in the ass. Also, learn some C, I guess, since you do have to work in C for a while next year.
Old 05-31-2010 at 03:17 AM   #3
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxtmann View Post
Does anyone in software engineering have any tips for preparingfor second year? I'm having a pretty boring summer anyway so I guess a little work done to make second year easier can't hurt.

I wouldn't mind trying to learn syntax for a new programming language or two, or even just doing some theory reading. Any suggestions?
hello fellow software student!
from what i have heard, it never hurts to learn new languages when you are in software engineering. we aren't taught much in terms of programming languages other than C or OCaml. If you would specifically want to prepare for next year, then you could get started on either of the two languages. From what I have heard, Dr. Farmer who generally teaches the course might not teach it again and therefore there might me some changes made to the course. Nevertheless, C is a very important language, so it would anyways be good to know.
Old 05-31-2010 at 06:48 AM   #4
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

C, Java, OCaml.

I, unlike most, liked OCaml. It was different from any language I've ever tried, but I really liked it.

Java is what you'll probably be using most past 2nd year (used it almost all the time in 3rd year classes).
Old 05-31-2010 at 11:33 AM   #5
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanishka View Post
hello fellow software student!
...From what I have heard, Dr. Farmer who generally teaches the course might not teach it again and therefore there might me some changes made to the course...
Your right. Dr. Farmer is not teaching 2S03 this year (the course that I used OCaml heavily in) its going to be Dr. Qiao. So maybe you will not use OCaml next year??
Old 05-31-2010 at 12:28 PM   #6
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Your right. Dr. Farmer is not teaching 2S03 this year (the course that I used OCaml heavily in) its going to be Dr. Qiao. So maybe you will not use OCaml next year??
Dr. Qiao used Java when he taught compsci 1MD3. Maybe he'll use that.

Still, it would be good to learn some OCaml, especially if you've never used a functional programming language before.
Old 05-31-2010 at 01:34 PM   #7
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

I was looking forward to OCaml!
Old 05-31-2010 at 01:50 PM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Safest thing to learn at this point - C. There is no way you're going to avoid C.

If you want to go even further, try C++ or objective-C.
Old 05-31-2010 at 05:33 PM   #9
TheAxtmann

Liked: 3 Times

Thanks for the tips guys. We did Java all through highschool so I'm familiar with it already. I'll definitely take a look at OCaml, never had any experience with functional languages.

Is syntax for C at all like C#? 1D04 was ridiculously easy because C# was almost identical to Java, which I used a lot through highschool.
Old 05-31-2010 at 06:11 PM   #10
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Trust me, the highschool in Java is nothing like the java your gonna learn here. This is hardcore java, right from scratch.

C is nothing like C#, its not video. Infact, your output window will be the command promp. Grab a couple books on C and Java from the library and learn the basic. It will give you a good foundation.
Old 05-31-2010 at 11:14 PM   #11
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Trust me, the highschool in Java is nothing like the java your gonna learn here. This is hardcore java, right from scratch.

C is nothing like C#, its not video. Infact, your output window will be the command promp. Grab a couple books on C and Java from the library and learn the basic. It will give you a good foundation.
I think the high school thing is highly subjective. Some high schools actually do legit computer science. Also, in second year software, there is no hardcore programming (unless you call a linked list hardcore :p).

Also, C is very much like C# (C# is Microsoft's rip-off of Java, which had it's syntax pretty much stolen from C).

The main differences are all in how it internally works. Java and C# are essentially very pretty versions of C with a garbage collector in the background to clean up all your variables lacking reference. In C, you have to clean up all your unused crap yourself. This is where pointers come in, which in a way equate to declaring a variable without a value and then "pointing" it to somewhere in memory where you have declared memory for it.

It all makes a lot more sense after looking at some tutorials :p.
Old 06-01-2010 at 11:15 AM   #12
blackdragon
Elite Member

If he says Java in highschool was similar to C#, then thats not the Java hes gonna learn here. LL are fine, but when you get into some sorting algorithms, they can get kinda messy.

C# is visual, and C isnt. Thats basically it. The syntax is similar, but not the exact same.
Old 06-01-2010 at 11:41 AM   #13
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

I envy you guys who learned Java throughout High School. All I learned was Visual Basic 6.0 and even then it was really really simple things like making a true or false quiz or something hah.
Old 06-01-2010 at 01:12 PM   #14
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I envy you guys who learned Java throughout High School. All I learned was Visual Basic 6.0 and even then it was really really simple things like making a true or false quiz or something hah.
lol VB6. Ya, I used that too in high school. It wasn't until grade 12 that I got to touch Java.

Quote:
C# is visual, and C isnt. Thats basically it.
I'm guessing if he's used Java he wouldn't be freaked out by the console of C. Most Java IDEs I've used have no form making tools... or at least only have a terrible hard-to-use one.

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 06-01-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-01-2010 at 01:52 PM   #15
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
lol VB6. Ya, I used that too in high school. It wasn't until grade 12 that I got to touch Java.

I'm guessing if he's used Java he wouldn't be freaked out by the console of C. Most Java IDEs I've used have no form making tools... or at least only have a terrible hard-to-use one.

Yeah. We used Netbeans.

Try that out and get used to it, would be very helpful for next yr