MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solar Jackxer0 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-01-2010 11:39 PM
Solar Black.Mamba Academics 2 06-22-2010 05:26 PM
Solar Re-opens August 13th at 8:30 am mcinside MacInsiders Announcements 11 08-11-2009 12:32 AM
SOLAR: july 13th?? Summer21 Academics 12 08-11-2008 10:31 AM

solar on aug 13th

Old 07-15-2009 at 08:51 PM   #1
muns2

Liked: 0 Times

solar on aug 13th
When we select core, lab and tutorial classes on Aug 13th,
is it similar to course selection from before?
Does it tell you if the classes are full? What should I
expect when going on solar on the 13th?

Also, when we receive our time tables on the 11th of August,
are the classes put in a way that there are no conflicting courses?
Old 07-15-2009 at 08:54 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns2 View Post
When we select core, lab and tutorial classes on Aug 13th,
is it similar to course selection from before?
Does it tell you if the classes are full? What should I
expect when going on solar on the 13th?

Also, when we receive our time tables on the 11th of August,
are the classes put in a way that there are no conflicting courses?
You will already be sectioned by August 13th. If you wish to change your sections you just use the "modify" action.

It will tell you which sections are full. But unlike courses, seats will open up more frequently as everyone is moving around between sections. So if you see it full at first, don't worry too much, just keep on trying.

You should expect A LOT of those "MUGSI is full" and "SOLAR is full" messages. It will be a lot harder to get in since ALL students are trying to get in.

They will try and make a conflict-free schedule, but it's not guaranteed.

daisy says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-15-2009 at 08:56 PM   #3
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Your labs and tutorials will be picked for you. And yes, if you do change it, you'll know which ones are full.

To my knowledge, timetables are put such to avoid conflicts, however, if there is a conflict that cannot be resolved, then it will be indicated.

daisy says thanks to Ivan Q. for this post.
Old 07-15-2009 at 08:56 PM   #4
muns2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You will already be sectioned by August 13th. If you wish to change your sections you just use the "modify" action.

It will tell you which sections are full. But unlike courses, seats will open up more frequently as everyone is moving around between sections. So if you see it full at first, don't worry too much, just keep on trying.

You should expect A LOT of those "MUGSI is full" and "SOLAR is full" messages. It will be a lot harder to get in since ALL students are trying to get in.

They will try and make a conflict-free schedule, but it's not guaranteed.
ok. thank you so much for the reply !
Old 07-15-2009 at 08:57 PM   #5
muns2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Q. View Post
Your labs and tutorials will be picked for you. And yes, if you do change it, you'll know which ones are full.

To my knowledge, timetables are put such to avoid conflicts, however, if there is a conflict that cannot be resolved, then it will be indicated.
thank u so much for the reply !
Old 07-15-2009 at 09:02 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Yep! SOLAR tries to avoid the conflicts, yet there is a possibility you'll have a conflict - who knows.
When you're assigned the core, lab and tutorials most likely they'll all be full if the course is full, but after people start moving around theirs =, more spaces will open up
Old 07-15-2009 at 09:05 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Yep! SOLAR tries to avoid the conflicts, yet there is a possibility you'll have a conflict - who knows.
When you're assigned the core, lab and tutorials most likely they'll all be full if the course is full, but after people start moving around theirs =, more spaces will open up
I don't think they would all be full. It really depends on the course. But there should be space to move around. If not you can always start a thread on MacInsiders to see if anyone wants to switch sections.

crys.eg likes this.
Old 07-15-2009 at 09:32 PM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Jeremy, if we drew up those mock schedules and planned our sections such that they were conflict free, that would mean there are conflict free paths for us to be placed in, so is it possible that our SOLAR sections would take a similar note in order to be conflict free?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-15-2009 at 09:40 PM   #9
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Jeremy, if we drew up those mock schedules and planned our sections such that they were conflict free, that would mean there are conflict free paths for us to be placed in, so is it possible that our SOLAR sections would take a similar note in order to be conflict free?
SOLAR would try to do that yes. It tries it's best (and it's actually not bad at THIS part of it's job) to section you without any conflicts are all, so you might get something close to your mock schedule if you're lucky
Old 07-15-2009 at 09:45 PM   #10
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
SOLAR would try to do that yes. It tries it's best (and it's actually not bad at THIS part of it's job) to section you without any conflicts are all, so you might get something close to your mock schedule if you're lucky
Fingers crossed
I'm making a SOLAR survival guide for a friend of mine who's going to help me register.
I'll probably send him some of the posts on the website as well too.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-15-2009 at 10:09 PM   #11
zoyy

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Fingers crossed
Yah, hopefully SOLAR creates a conflict-free timetable for you

In my first year, the mock timetable I made was perfect, and I was able to fit in the electives I wanted. But the one SOLAR made, had a conflict because it decided to put me in a lab that conflicted with one of my electives, when there was another perfectly good lab time that avoided this. However, I couldn't fix it b/c the more preferred lab slot ended up being full by the time SOLAR re-opened :(. I had to pick another elective and shuffle around my timtable myself.

But if you get a conflict-free one, you're good to go!
Old 07-15-2009 at 10:12 PM   #12
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

The other key thing to remember is that you have some lee-way with semester two. As long as your semester one is perfect for september, you're good. You have until January to get your semester two sorted out, and by that time people might drop out of the class, change programs, quit university, etc. so you can get a seat in previously full classes.
Old 07-15-2009 at 10:16 PM   #13
nciggle

Liked: 11 Times

So does SOLAR open up again at midnight like it did for the initial course selection where there was a wave of people trying to get on?
Old 07-15-2009 at 10:17 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nciggle View Post
So does SOLAR open up again at midnight like it did for the initial course selection where there was a wave of people trying to get on?
It actually opens at 8:30am. Everyone (all years and faculties) will be trying to get on this time.
Old 07-15-2009 at 11:36 PM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
It actually opens at 8:30am. Everyone (all years and faculties) will be trying to get on this time.
I still find that change in time really weird.. and inconvenient.. but.. Oh well XD