MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
last minute help !!!! ruby101 Academics 9 09-11-2010 07:53 AM
ok since SOLAR is going to close soon can some one look at my course selection please Imtiaz Academics 29 08-02-2010 12:03 PM
Course Selection/SOLAR Registration Help SilentWalker Academics 9 07-19-2010 12:02 PM
Mac in A Minute Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 03-31-2010 03:35 PM
Mac In A Minute Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-04-2009 04:04 PM

Solar course selection last minute

Old 07-31-2010 at 08:06 PM   #1
strawbrryjam

Liked: 0 Times

Solar course selection last minute
Hey, i know this is pretty late for selecting courses, but is it possible to select a course that i want to minor in?
it is full now, of course, but is it any other way to select it? like if i call them and explain my situation, will they let me?
I wanna be minor in music and am well experienced with music.
Old 07-31-2010 at 09:13 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Usually, they don't open up courses if you want to minor in them, but every department is different and it can't hurt to try! Since music is a less popular minor (than something like psych, where a bajillion people want to minor in it), you might have better luck Just contact the department, politely explain your situation and ask them if there's anything they can do. Good luck!

strawbrryjam says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 07-31-2010 at 09:41 PM   #3
irule333

Liked: 2 Times

the selection of first year music courses for non music majors amounts to music 1a03/1aa3 and the performance classes(1ee6 and 1g03 solo + ensemble) and 1g03/1ee6 you cant register without an audition anyways...music 1a03 and 1aa3 are way overrated as bird courses so you can hope that people drop out of the class after a couple lectures
Old 08-02-2010 at 07:55 AM   #4
strawbrryjam

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by irule333 View Post
the selection of first year music courses for non music majors amounts to music 1a03/1aa3 and the performance classes(1ee6 and 1g03 solo + ensemble) and 1g03/1ee6 you cant register without an audition anyways...music 1a03 and 1aa3 are way overrated as bird courses so you can hope that people drop out of the class after a couple lectures
but then is solar gonna be open at that point? i wanna take music 1aa3, which is in the 2nd semester, is it gonna be open for that long?
Old 08-02-2010 at 10:52 AM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbrryjam View Post
but then is solar gonna be open at that point? i wanna take music 1aa3, which is in the 2nd semester, is it gonna be open for that long?
It's open from August 11th onwards.

strawbrryjam says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-02-2010 at 11:24 AM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbrryjam View Post
It remains open until the last date to drop courses without penalty in second term. Since you drop courses on SOLAR, it has to remain open You can still add/switch courses for second term up until the drop/add date for term 2 (which is sometime in the first week of january, I believe). You have plenty of time to get into second term courses
Old 08-02-2010 at 11:54 AM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
It remains open until the last date to drop courses without penalty in second term. Since you drop courses on SOLAR, it has to remain open You can still add/switch courses for second term up until the drop/add date for term 2 (which is sometime in the first week of january, I believe). You have plenty of time to get into second term courses
It remains open even beyond that for students that want to cancel their courses.
Old 08-02-2010 at 12:05 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
It remains open even beyond that for students that want to cancel their courses.
Hm...for the summer session last year, it closed on the last day to drop a term 2 course without academic penalty. If we wanted to drop the course beyond that date, we had to see an advisor. Is it different during the school year?
Old 08-02-2010 at 01:58 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Hm...for the summer session last year, it closed on the last day to drop a term 2 course without academic penalty. If we wanted to drop the course beyond that date, we had to see an advisor. Is it different during the school year?
You mean, the last day to cancel a course without academic penalty. Which is the same as cancelling a course without having to pay 100% for it.

This year it closes on March 11th. After this day, you will not get a refund for your course and you will automatically be given a 0.

It's just a technicality but dropping and cancelling a course are two completely different things.
Old 08-02-2010 at 02:21 PM   #10
sayok8737

Liked: 7 Times

so i have a question...on solar when i chose my classes, i wasn't able to select cores or tutorials for any of my classes...is that how it usually is, because some of my friends were able to chose some of their cores and tutorials!

im kinda scared :/
Old 08-02-2010 at 02:24 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayok8737 View Post
so i have a question...on solar when i chose my classes, i wasn't able to select cores or tutorials for any of my classes...is that how it usually is, because some of my friends were able to chose some of their cores and tutorials!

im kinda scared :/
Depends on the course. Usually, no, you can only pick the term you want the course in, although some courses allow early section selection. You should be able to pick sections for all courses that have more than one on August 11, after timetables have come out and SOLAR reopens.