MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saving files on the Library Computers Question Danielle.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 10-24-2011 01:09 PM
Chrome Password Saving Pay919 Computers & Tech 4 03-14-2011 12:46 PM
Cutting Costs and Saving Money on Your Meal Plan! mitch Food & Meal Plans 16 10-18-2008 10:36 AM

what are some money saving tips?

Old 01-30-2014 at 09:13 PM   #1
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

what are some money saving tips?
how do you frugal people save money? I always get little urges to spend money and even though they aren't significant, they add up. I budget but I always go over it
Old 01-30-2014 at 09:28 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Just dont spend. Bring your own things to campus particularly food and drink. Be smart about buying groceries
Old 01-30-2014 at 09:45 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

You have to be more specific. Are you communiting, live off campus, or res? Do you drive, bus or walk to school? Are your biggest expenses school stuff, food, transportation, entertainment, or other?

There are way too many topics related to this for a quick answer.
Old 01-31-2014 at 09:39 AM   #4
jitnikovi

Liked: 13 Times

buy a pack of nuts to keep you going thro the day... 400cal for $1 nomsaiyan
Old 01-31-2014 at 05:00 PM   #5
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

I figure out what i'm going to eat for the week when i'm already at the grocery store. look in the meat aisle and see whats on sale and figure out how you're going to make it. buy most of your food on sale. do you drink a lot of coffee or tea? brew your own.

if you do need to go out for lunch or something, really do avoid buying soft drinks, yes they're delicious but they're so overpriced, you can survive with just tap water

keep track of your spending! i can't stress this enough, you should know how much money you can afford to spend a week, sometimes you will go over that limit due to unforeseen circumstances, but if you don't track your spending you cannot adjust your budget plan for the future to make-up for that extra money spent.

avoid ATM fees, when you're at the grocery store, get cash back. if you do need to use an ATM, withdraw a significant amount of money. if you're withdrawing in increments of $20, and you're paying $2 fees each time... that ain't smart man.

always keep snacks and water in your bag so you'll never have the urge to buy a snack or a drink when you crave it.
Old 01-31-2014 at 05:11 PM   #6
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Cash budget. Once you run out, you're out.

alyssarr likes this.
Old 01-31-2014 at 07:49 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

There's also an app which trakcs your expense spending and what category. I forgot name tho
Old 01-31-2014 at 09:09 PM   #8
rtongsta

Liked: 5 Times

4L of milk at shoppers for less than $5
Old 02-02-2014 at 08:38 PM   #9
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Keep track of everything you spend. I only realized how much I spend on Junk Food after using mint.com

You enter your account information and it keeps track of all your spending and it organizes everything into categories and lets you keep track of it all.

Only down side of it is the security issues.
Old 02-02-2014 at 11:05 PM   #10
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

Honestly the best piece of advice I can give is to keep track of it all... Like ALL of it, if you're feeling that you might be overspending even on occassion.

You can use mint.com as suggested above, or you can just start up an Excel file, with a tab for a few categories: food, entertainment, school (tuition, txtbooks, and only necessary course costs), travel, services (utilities, cell, internet, and other subscriptions), and then misc.

Put in every expense you make, every coffee you buy, every snack you purchase, if you're serious about it, just do it.

At the end of the month, look back and see where all that money is going (the best is to look at it over 3 months where one-off purchases don't seem that big).

To actually start saving, set a budget and see if you can keep to it, review your adherence to it every 2-4 weeks. Go with a list to shop and get only listed items, preferably ones on sales (which means you should keep an eye on fortinos.ca flyers, and sign up for their PC points to get deals customized to your shopping habits).

There's more, but this is a good place to start.