MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tutoring for College and University student ~*Sara*~ Academics 0 05-08-2011 12:27 PM
Req to get into Eng. after 2 yr College Program Loboz Academics 4 04-02-2011 09:58 PM
Transfer from college? Leibniz Academics 6 09-26-2010 09:17 PM
College pro or 'action go' Sasha General Discussion 140 11-17-2009 09:45 PM

Soon to be College student

Old 06-04-2011 at 01:37 PM   #1
arsh231

Liked: 0 Times

Soon to be College student
Hello guys just signed up, great place. Anyways here is my question.

Throughout high school i took college level course because i thought our college system was the same to the Americans. I know dumb right but no one told me.

I am in my final year of high school and have just received my registration package to Mohawk college.

I had applied for Electrical Engineering Technology - Control- 3year program with co-o. I thought become a engineer out of this but soon found out i become a Technologist. so i have decided to take Bachelor of Technology Degree Completion Program once done at Mohawk. I have read up and found out that i cannot go for the P-eng, is this true? How can i become a engineer if i becoming a Technologist?

I am also interested in the university of ontario institute of technology but not sure if the accept college students?

So in summary how can i become a engineer if i am starting at college and if i can how long would it take?
Old 06-04-2011 at 01:49 PM   #2
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

If you get a technologist diploma for a college, you can apply to mac as an engineering student, and some of your courses you took in college will count towards getting a B Eng

Although, I also think you can get a P Eng from college, you just have to write a lot of exams
Old 06-04-2011 at 02:15 PM  
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 06-04-2011 at 02:35 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Stay back 1 more year, and apply for engineering.
Old 06-04-2011 at 02:56 PM   #4
butterscotch

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsh231 View Post

Throughout high school i took college level course because i thought our college system was the same to the Americans. I know dumb right but no one told me.

I am in my final year of high school and have just received my registration package to Mohawk college.

I had applied for Electrical Engineering Technology - Control- 3year program with co-o. I thought become a engineer out of this but soon found out i become a Technologist. so i have decided to take Bachelor of Technology Degree Completion Program once done at Mohawk. I have read up and found out that i cannot go for the P-eng, is this true? How can i become a engineer if i becoming a Technologist?

I am also interested in the university of ontario institute of technology but not sure if the accept college students?

So in summary how can i become a engineer if i am starting at college and if i can how long would it take?

Why did you think they made a distinction between college and university level courses ?
Old 06-04-2011 at 03:18 PM   #5
arsh231

Liked: 0 Times

College for people that like hands on things.

University for people that like theory.

Thats what i thought back then and that in the end that was the only difference. Did not know that i could not be a engineer because of this.

I don`t know what to do, i thought i was becoming a engineer lol. Wow idk- is there job demand for technologist?

Would an american university accept with credentials right now? Like university of buffalo?
Old 06-04-2011 at 03:50 PM   #6
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:

I only took college level courses in high school as well. You have two options as to how to get into university. I have no idea what the differences are between the degrees youve mentioned.

1) stay back an extra year in high school to take 6 U or M credits and more likely than not if you speak with a guidance counsellor you wont have to take "bridging" courses - or an alternative school wouldnt make you (I know my alternative school didnt)

2) do a year of college and transfer to university if your GPA is good enough (Mac doesnt give transfer credit for one year of college - which is what I did and got in with a 3.38GPA, or take 2 years of college and get SOME transfer credit based on your final GPA)

I didnt want to stay back in high school an extra year after already having to take an extra semester to finish my 4 years. I didnt want to be done high school when I was 19/20

The only con to taking a year or two of college before transfering is you have to pay. For me taking one year made sense because I knew university was where I would end up and did not want to have to pay for a second year and not be guaranteed transfer credit.
Old 06-04-2011 at 05:19 PM   #7
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

stay back a year, its your best option if you want to be an engineer. (also work, it will give you an appreciation of how hard you need to work in university)
Old 06-04-2011 at 06:35 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
College for people that like hands on things.

University for people that like theory.

Thats what i thought back then and that in the end that was the only difference. Did not know that i could not be a engineer because of this.

I don`t know what to do, i thought i was becoming a engineer lol. Wow idk- is there job demand for technologist?

Would an american university accept with credentials right now? Like university of buffalo?
You should do some research into becoming an engineer, then. It doesn't sound like you've thought this out or planned very well.
For example, a quick google search into admissions requirements in USA will tell you that most (if not all) universities there require you to take the SAT. Their admissions process is also more intensive than ours, and it's unlikely you'd be able to apply now for September.
As people have said, your best options are to either do another year of high school taking the right courses, or do a year of college and then transfer. Taking another year of high school to get the prereqs for engineering could be tricky though, if you lack the appropriate gr11 prereqs for gr12 required courses (I'm not sure if gr11 college courses count as prereqs for gr12 university courses).
Old 06-04-2011 at 08:20 PM   #9
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
Why did you think they made a distinction between college and university level courses ?
he probably got it mixed up by talking to an american.. whether its colleg or university they refer to it all as "college" in speech