MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
thieves stealing... paperplanes Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 13 09-12-2010 09:55 PM

Stealing

Old 12-03-2009 at 09:08 AM   #1
aya017

Liked: 22 Times

Stealing
Hey guys, I was just wondering.. how often does stealing occur at Mac? I'm wondering because there's this girl in my class and she posted on ELM that someone stole her laptop from her locker at the DBAC. I asked her on ELM if she put a lock on her locker, but she hasn't replied yet.

I'm wondering.. really though? (Considering there is almost always people in the locker rooms, and it'd look really odd if you'd suddenly start tinkering with lockers - unless you're a pro thief) Or maybe it was because she didn't put a lock on her locker?

I'm concerned because sometimes I do put my valuables in the gym locker since I go to the gym in between classes (Yes, I do always put a lock on.) If incidence of stealing is really high, I can move my stuff to another safer place.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by aya017 : 12-03-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-03-2009 at 09:28 AM   #2
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

I doubt shit can get stolen from a locked locker.
Old 12-03-2009 at 09:50 AM   #3
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Stuff gets stolen every now and then from around campus. Last year a lot of things were stolen when they were left unattended in libraries.

I also doubt something could be stolen from a locked locker... so its sounds to me like the locker was left unlocked
Old 12-03-2009 at 09:51 AM   #4
dabulls

Liked: 14 Times

You'd be surprised how many people don't lock their lockers.

I'd get a good lock. I only use dudley locks. the others seem so flimsy it feels like you could rip it open with your fingers.
Old 12-03-2009 at 10:02 AM   #5
Flag

Liked: 35 Times

Money get stolen all the time...

Of course, that's by McMaster.... stealing my $40 grumble grumble grumble

Last edited by Flag : 12-03-2009 at 10:14 AM.

Ender, xo.monica like this.
Old 12-03-2009 at 10:13 AM   #6
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

If you put a lock on your locker, no one is going to be able to get into it. Unless they have bolt cutters, which would look insanely suspicious.

Sounds like this person's locker wasn't locked. I see that all the time in the gym. People put their stuff in the lockers and just leave them wide open. Might as well leave your stuff on the floor.

KayakerDan likes this.
Old 12-03-2009 at 10:30 AM   #7
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

I've used the gym locker numerous times and left my laptop, wallet, car keys, etc... and I have yet to run into any problems. Sure students, staff and alumni use the change rooms, but if you lock up your stuff, it's pretty much safe (unless there was an actual thief that was targeting lockers/people?). I do, however see some people leave their lockers unlocked, such as when they go shower or something!
Old 12-03-2009 at 10:54 AM   #8
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

my friend's laptop got stolen because he went to the washroom and left his laptop at the study desk.

Stealing is everywhere.
Old 12-03-2009 at 11:31 AM   #9
dabulls

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice8 View Post
my friend's laptop got stolen because he went to the washroom and left his laptop at the study desk.

Stealing is everywhere.

well how effin stupid can he be???

did he honestly think that it would be there? i see people in mills leaving stuff unattended all the time.. it makes my head spin
Old 12-03-2009 at 12:36 PM   #10
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

Its pretty easy to ask the stranger sitting beside or across from you to watch your stuff while you go to the washroom or get something to eat. I haven't had anyone say no yet.

Afzal likes this.
Old 12-03-2009 at 03:35 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by moops View Post
Its pretty easy to ask the stranger sitting beside or across from you to watch your stuff while you go to the washroom or get something to eat. I haven't had anyone say no yet.
I wouldn't do that either... the stranger could just take your stuff and leave. You don't know who they are.
Old 12-03-2009 at 07:02 PM   #12
b_sunshine55

Liked: 1 Time

people most likely don't steal from locked lockers, but there is a lot of theft on campus especially during exam times

1) NEVER leave your things alone in the library, even to just go to the washroom

2) NEVER leave valuables in the exam room, people steal here all the time because its easy to just pick up someone else's bag and leave

3) Textbooks = valuable, whether its in the library or in the exam room, thieves look for them because they can get $$ by selling them

its easy to get comfortable in a space when you've been studying for a long time there, but remember you are still in a public place that anyone can access!
mac is generally a safe place, but there are people who are around waiting for the opportunity to steal, no need to be scared though, just be smart!
Old 12-03-2009 at 09:39 PM   #13
aya017

Okay the girl replied. She said she did put a lock on and she found it to be unlocked when she came back? Maybe hers was just a rare case... something like that would have to be planned. Like, someone would have had to know which locker she was using, what code, etc. I don't know.

But yeah! I do see some people just leave their lockers open, and without a lock.

Hopefully stealing from locked gym lockers doesn't happen that often. :/
Old 12-03-2009 at 10:07 PM   #14
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aya017 View Post
Okay the girl replied. She said she did put a lock on and she found it to be unlocked when she came back?
was the lock gone too? or was it unlocked with the lock there?

She either didn't bring a lock, or she forgot to lock it. I bet she's trying to get out of handing in an assignment or something right?
Old 12-03-2009 at 11:07 PM   #15
aya017

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
was the lock gone too? or was it unlocked with the lock there?

She either didn't bring a lock, or she forgot to lock it. I bet she's trying to get out of handing in an assignment or something right?
It was apparently unlocked with the lock there. Yeah I'm thinking she forgot to lock it. She's trying to get notes for the class - and since she lost her laptop she has no notes at all. I don't know how she lost it - whether she forgot to lock or not - I don't know, I just sent her some notes - just to help a little. Meh.