MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
thieves stealing... paperplanes Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 13 09-12-2010 09:55 PM

Stealing

Old 12-04-2009 at 12:28 AM   #16
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aya017 View Post
It was apparently unlocked with the lock there. Yeah I'm thinking she forgot to lock it. She's trying to get notes for the class - and since she lost her laptop she has no notes at all. I don't know how she lost it - whether she forgot to lock or not - I don't know, I just sent her some notes - just to help a little. Meh.

hahahah amazing.

obvi the thief stood by her locker following this guide.

Last edited by andrew22 : 12-04-2009 at 12:36 AM.

aya017, Nino like this.
Old 12-09-2009 at 05:19 PM   #17
snaps

Liked: 32 Times

yeah.. to guess a comibnation is not easy but its not hard either.. couple years ago, i use to commute to work for an hour and i spend my time guessing combinations from random locks i found that people left... dont ask.. lol... it took me averagely around 15 minutes to guess a combination.. for example, its because if your number is between 3 and 7, you can always use 5 to unlock it. the second trick is that when you are on your last number to guess, you dont have to redo the first two numbers.. you can just cycle through the numbers and see if it opens...

this brings this down into (60/5)*(60/5) = 144 combinations... each combination takes around 10 seconds to check.. and that gives you 24 minutes to guess the combination.. however, statistically you will never have the last combination you try the right one.. and once you add in the randomness of numbers and do not try combinations such as 1,1,1 2,2,2 etc, your chances will increase.. These two tricks work on most of the locks out there excluding the high end locks... and the very crappy locks you can listen to the tiny click and get the combo in less than a minute.. these are the facts.. i have no life and i tried them and they work..
Old 12-09-2009 at 05:28 PM   #18
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

A few years ago when I was in Thode, I had an accounting textbook stolen while I went to the washroom. Fortunately I was able to get it back.
Old 12-09-2009 at 05:37 PM   #19
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
hahahah amazing.

obvi the thief stood by her locker following this guide.
A lot of people actually precode their lockers...so that as soon as they come back, they pull the lock down and immediately grab their things and go..i've seen that happen in elementary school so I wouldn't be to surprised if this happens here too

Old 12-09-2009 at 07:49 PM   #20
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
A lot of people actually precode their lockers...so that as soon as they come back, they pull the lock down and immediately grab their things and go..i've seen that happen in elementary school so I wouldn't be to surprised if this happens here too

I never did that. I just always had the lock that if you pulled hard enough, it would unlock automatically. >_<

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-09-2009 at 07:52 PM   #21
snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I never did that. I just always had the lock that if you pulled hard enough, it would unlock automatically. >_<

haha.. might as well put a pretty ribbon on your locker

lawleypop, xo.monica like this.
Old 12-09-2009 at 08:12 PM   #22
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabulls View Post
well how effin stupid can he be???

did he honestly think that it would be there? i see people in mills leaving stuff unattended all the time.. it makes my head spin
Really? I would think it's quite annoying to have to pack up your laptop, your textbooks and papers and binders to walk to the washroom for 60 seconds, and come back and have to find a new seat because someone took yours.

You should be able to leave your stuff in a library in the middle of the day for a minute without it getting stolen.

If someone stole my stuff, I'd just steal something more expensive to make up for it
(assuming I could get away with it of course...but considering everyone's stuff is getting stolen it seems rather easy to)
Old 12-09-2009 at 08:30 PM   #23
snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Really? I would think it's quite annoying to have to pack up your laptop, your textbooks and papers and binders to walk to the washroom for 60 seconds, and come back and have to find a new seat because someone took yours.

You should be able to leave your stuff in a library in the middle of the day for a minute without it getting stolen.

If someone stole my stuff, I'd just steal something more expensive to make up for it
(assuming I could get away with it of course...but considering everyone's stuff is getting stolen it seems rather easy to)
I was always taught to watch out for my things, always lock everything, always keep an eye on suspicious people... through experience and through my parents.. when I immigrated to canada, i was surprised how people did not watch out for their stuff... car windows left rolled down, house doors left unlocked, etc... Because I am so careful, I can see where others are leaving flaws that could be exploited.. I thought everyone did not value their belongings.. but then i realized it was because there was a certain trust between people... there just wasnt any thieves back then.. however, now things are changing and everyone is coming here from all over the place and some people take advantage of the situation that is here. Personally i would never take advantage of others, however, I know many people from where i am from that would, and they would laugh at how stupid the people here are, not taking care of their belongings....

i hate this...
Old 12-09-2009 at 08:49 PM   #24
aya017

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps View Post
I was always taught to watch out for my things, always lock everything, always keep an eye on suspicious people... through experience and through my parents.. when I immigrated to canada, i was surprised how people did not watch out for their stuff... car windows left rolled down, house doors left unlocked, etc... Because I am so careful, I can see where others are leaving flaws that could be exploited.. I thought everyone did not value their belongings.. but then i realized it was because there was a certain trust between people... there just wasnt any thieves back then.. however, now things are changing and everyone is coming here from all over the place and some people take advantage of the situation that is here. Personally i would never take advantage of others, however, I know many people from where i am from that would, and they would laugh at how stupid the people here are, not taking care of their belongings....

i hate this...
Woah. You just painted a bad picture of immigrants - and of course I know that wasn't your intent. But that totally stood out the most to me.

But hey, I understand what you're saying. I'm an immigrant too, and back home you had to be cautious, especially if you have something valuable. However, I'd like to point out that there is a rigorous screening process before you can immigrate to Canada (and yes, there may be people who may go through undetected) - but I'd like to believe that most of the immigrants (the new wave anyway, since the rigorous screening process is for the "new" wave) that are here are fairly educated and respected from back home. At least, the immigrants I know of are very respectable. I'm glad to not have met any who are otherwise.

Personally, I don't laugh about people who are so trusting of other people here. I mean, I actually admire the sense that there is enough trust in the community to do that. Back home, I would never leave my laptop for a washroom break (even if it means I won't have a seat right after). If I leave it, I have to leave it with someone I trust.

I don't know, just saying.
Old 12-09-2009 at 08:57 PM   #25
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

aya017, read more carefully.
Old 12-09-2009 at 08:58 PM   #26
snaps

Quote:
Woah. You just painted a bad picture of immigrants - and of course I know that wasn't your intent. But that totally stood out the most to me.

But hey, I understand what you're saying. I'm an immigrant too, and back home you had to be cautious, especially if you have something valuable. However, I'd like to point out that there is a rigorous screening process before you can immigrate to Canada (and yes, there may be people who may go through undetected) - but I'd like to believe that most of the immigrants (the new wave anyway, since the rigorous screening process is for the "new" wave) that are here are fairly educated and respected from back home. At least, the immigrants I know of are very respectable. I'm glad to not have met any who are otherwise.

Personally, I don't laugh about people who are so trusting of other people here. I mean, I actually admire the sense that there is enough trust in the community to do that. Back home, I would never leave my laptop for a washroom break (even if it means I won't have a seat right after). If I leave it, I have to leave it with someone I trust.

I don't know, just saying.

haha sorry, i have to be more clear. i DONT laugh at people for not being cautious. It was meant to be ironic. I was saying that people that take advantage of others laugh at them how stupid they are.. but the people that are not catious are not stupid, they are just use to the trust of people.

and sorry if i painted a wrong picture about immigrants.. I was just trying to say that if you get different people with different morals together, and one of them is more trusting, they tend to suffer more... I am not saying that the more catious people are the ones stealing everything lol...

i shouldnt have said anything.. debating about it is not gonna make it go away
Old 12-09-2009 at 09:14 PM   #27
aya017

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps View Post
haha sorry, i have to be more clear. i DONT laugh at people for not being cautious. It was meant to be ironic. I was saying that people that take advantage of others laugh at them how stupid they are.. but the people that are not catious are not stupid, they are just use to the trust of people.

and sorry if i painted a wrong picture about immigrants.. I was just trying to say that if you get different people with different morals together, and one of them is more trusting, they tend to suffer more... I am not saying that the more catious people are the ones stealing everything lol...

i shouldnt have said anything.. debating about it is not gonna make it go away
OH! ahahah. MY BAD
You know when you're like passionate about something, and you see something against it and you get all annoyed + Exam stress? Yes, that's my excuse.

But yes, yes, I see what you mean. I'm sorry! I should definitely read more carefully lol.
Old 12-09-2009 at 11:29 PM   #28
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Last edited by andrew22 : 12-09-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-10-2009 at 12:13 AM   #29
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
However, I'd like to point out that there is a rigorous screening process before you can immigrate to Canada (and yes, there may be people who may go through undetected) - but I'd like to believe that most of the immigrants (the new wave anyway, since the rigorous screening process is for the "new" wave) that are here are fairly educated and respected from back home. At least, the immigrants I know of are very respectable. I'm glad to not have met any who are otherwise.
LOL Ever heard of Investor class immigration? I reaaaally don't want to go into the details of how the "Investors" come up with the $150,000

And Crime doesn't have that much of a co-relation with education atleast imo. It has more to do with culture; Every culture has differential meanings of what constitutes "deviance". But then again I'm not sure how this thread went towards discussing criminals to discussing immigrants :S

Another theory would be differential achievement. As theory goes immigrants are less likely to do as well as older citizens because of a myriad of factors, but they still have the wants but not the means to achieve them. Which leads to innovation

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 12-10-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2009 at 01:52 AM   #30
creen

Liked: 29 Times

There used to be a time when if something wasn't yours you didn't touch it. And it wasn't that long ago. Now the onus is on you to secure your stuff and even then a lock isn't always enough.

We should go back to chopping peoples hands off that steal! I sometimes step away from my desk when in the library just to stretch my legs. If I saw someone screwing with my stuff I would do them serious physical harm.