Don't ride your bike in NYC DannyV General Discussion 3 08-05-2008 11:41 AM

Stolen Bike

Old 03-11-2010 at 11:14 AM   #16
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Two words: GPS tracking.
Technically that's 4 words. But regardless, an excellent idea.
Know of any good GPS signal emitting devices for a relatively cheap price?
Old 03-11-2010 at 06:59 PM   #17
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Even though it takes some time, taking the seat off is probably the best option. But even then, someone could just break the lock and walk away with the bike instead of riding it. If someone said "Hey, you're walking with a bike with no seat. Did you steal it?", they could easily say "No, the seat broke" or something..

There's really no good way to keep your bike safe on campus :/
Old 03-11-2010 at 09:55 PM   #18
WekSos

Liked: 24 Times

GPS tracking ? common, maybe you can look into the "GPS snitch" if your actually that worried. What if the theifs are so advanced they carry gps signal jammers with them ...

nvm its a bike not a car LOL.

Sorry to say but I doubt your going to be seeing your bike again, and those U-locks suck, one blow iwth a hammer and your good to go ... trust me ive lost my keys before...

If you do see your bike around, you either jack it back, or you camp out and well ... you know the drill
Old 03-11-2010 at 10:20 PM   #19
l.esho
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

Out of all things to steal from university students - laptops, iPods, money, student cards, they steal a BIKE? What is this, 1996?

A friend of mine had his bike jacked on campus a couple months ago as well.

Hopefully they'll find the low lives and throw them back in jail.

But can you imagine though?
'What you in here for?"
"Assault."
"Grand theft auto."
"I stole a few bikes."

You know who the b**ch is gonna be.
And's that's karma.

Afzal, camais, wuZheng like this.
Old 03-11-2010 at 10:23 PM   #20
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.esho View Post
Out of all things to steal from university students - laptops, iPods, money, student cards, they steal a BIKE? What is this, 1996?

'What you in here for?"
"Assault."
"Grand theft auto."
"I stole a few bikes."

And's that's karma.
omfg.
one could only wish.
GOOD bloody year.
nintendo 64 came out.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

camais likes this.
Old 03-11-2010 at 10:45 PM   #21
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.esho View Post

'What you in here for?"
"Assault."
"Grand theft auto."
"I stole a few bikes."

And's that's karma.
is the ***** the one that had their bike stolen? or the one who sold it for cash that you are mocking on the internet? I don't get it?
Old 03-12-2010 at 12:53 AM   #22
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
is the ***** the one that had their bike stolen? or the one who sold it for cash that you are mocking on the internet? I don't get it?
dont worry man, you never get it

andrew22 likes this.
Old 03-12-2010 at 01:20 AM   #23
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

the Bike was a schwinn, the brand itself screams "steal me"
O and if he was put in jail he wouldn't say i stole a bike, he would say "i stole mother ***** schwinn"
Old 03-12-2010 at 10:01 AM   #24
l.esho
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post

how could you miss my point completely? LOL it read again
Old 03-12-2010 at 12:08 PM   #25
Jessicaaaa

Liked: 42 Times

Just want to let you know that there is a program run by the hamilton police about stolen bikes. you can go to a policing center and fill out missing bike report and put your picture of it and stuff and every once in a while the police have auctions for unclaimed bikes that they ahve recovered. im sure they probably cross reference if any of the missing bikes were ones that were reported missing. so if you havent done so, it might be a good idea to fill out a stolen bike report.
Old 03-12-2010 at 12:33 PM   #26
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Another thing you could do to (possibly) prevent your bike from being stolen is make it very noticable/unique. Paint half of it rainbow or something. This way, people might be less inclined to steal it because the person will know who has it when they see it. Or, at the very least, it'll make it easier for you to identify to police.
Old 03-12-2010 at 09:19 PM   #27
wuZheng

Liked: 0 Times

Mmm, yea... preventative measures might've been helpful beforehand... or maybe not even at all.

And Jess, yea I know and I'm in the process of reporting things to authorities and whatnot, but kinda busy these days... don't have time to fret over a stolen bike, no matter how pissed off I happen to be (read: very f cking pissed off).

Healthsci1, I don't exactly get your meaning... a department store bike isn't really valuable to anyone but the owner and even then the value is derived from the utility of having a bicycle. Although, if you're saying its because it is a department store bike that it got stolen, then I probably can understand.

Anyways, thanks for the hilarious replies. I got semi-excited at the semi-violent ideas, would've enjoyed lurking the bike racks to catch a thief Dexter style, but alas... time consuming...

*sigh*

Let me know if you guys catch some sketchy guy around campus with a bolt cutter. It'll make my day. X)
Old 03-13-2010 at 07:40 PM   #28
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

when i was waiting for the go bus on friday i saw a guy riding a bike while handling another one...now that i think about it, it was a tad sketchy
Old 03-14-2010 at 01:31 AM   #29
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Dude that sucks (you get extra sympathy because I download a lot of stuff off you on DC++). These bike thieves are spineless.

wuZheng says thanks to deadpool for this post.
Old 03-14-2010 at 04:00 PM   #30
wuZheng

Liked: 0 Times

Mmm, I should probably get all the peeps on DC++ to help me lurk around bike racks to jump thieves (on free time of course)... I feel like doing something for the lulz. =)

Last edited by wuZheng : 03-14-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: For the lulz.