MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year Chem Students Eow MCHEDDENITE Academics 25 08-12-2010 09:10 PM
Chem 3II3 - Challenging for a 2nd year? fartmonkey Academics 0 06-18-2010 05:56 PM
Chem Eng 3rd Year Electives Justin Leary Academics 1 05-01-2010 06:06 PM
Should I buy the study guide for first year chem & bio??? jasonfung Academics 2 09-04-2008 04:09 PM

Struggling with First Year Chem

Old 02-09-2011 at 07:51 PM   #1
jamiebenyovi

Liked: 7 Times

Struggling with First Year Chem
I took Chem 1A03 first semester and didn't do well at all (ended with a 5). Now i'm taking Chem 1AA3 and i did terrible on the first midterm. I'm really having trouble pin-pointing exactly what i'm having trouble with but it seems as though I'm able to do the math problems that show up as 2 mark questions and some of the 3 mark ones but it seems like i'm having the most trouble with the conceptual questions and the harder 3 mark questions.

Do you guys have any suggestions about what i could possibly do to improve? I think my study habits will also need to be changed because clearly I'm not getting great results. I'm really desperate at the moment because I really want to do well because I know the exam is gonna be a killer.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 02-09-2011 at 07:52 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

do more past papers from multiple years. i remember my first chem midterm had 1/3 of the questions on a past paper that wasnt posted
Old 02-09-2011 at 07:58 PM   #3
jamiebenyovi

I have my second midterm the Friday after reading week so i'm hoping to get some insight on how to prepare better for the next test since it's cumulative so it'll most likely be more difficult.
Old 02-09-2011 at 07:59 PM   #4
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

I was in pretty much the same situation last year. At the time I thought I was studying ridiculously hard (reading the textbook, doing all the recommended textbook problems, reading over class notes) but in retrospect, it was useless. All that matters is the practice midterms and tutorials. Go through them on your own, without looking at the solutions. Any concepts you don't understand, you can either seek answers from the textbook or the internet.. or better yet, compile a bunch of problems, go to tutorial and ask your TA for help. That's what they're being paid for... to help you. Or go to office hours. Take advantage of all the opportunities that are available to you!
Old 02-09-2011 at 08:03 PM   #5
jamiebenyovi

Thank you that's really helpful! I find reading the text book is impossible and that the practice problems are really useless. I did the tutorials and old tests for the last midterm but there really weren't that many problems on Kinetics which was where I was having trouble since there really wasn't a lot to practice with.

Is chemistry the same in second year or are they just trying to get rid of the kids that shouldn't be taking chemistry in first year and then the upper year courses aren't as bad?
Old 02-09-2011 at 08:21 PM   #6
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebenyovi View Post
Is chemistry the same in second year or are they just trying to get rid of the kids that shouldn't be taking chemistry in first year and then the upper year courses aren't as bad?
You wish

I'm assuming you are talking about organic chemistry only since most 2nd year science students do take both 2OA3 and 2OB3. They do build on some important concepts from 1st year chemistry, BUT you can get away with it if you work hard and read the text book. Memorizing the reactions and mechanisms WILL NOT WORK.

(If you're considering about taking other 2nd chemistry courses as electives, STAY AWAY FROM THEM IF YOU VALUE YOUR GPA!!!!!!)
Old 02-09-2011 at 08:31 PM   #7
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Thank you that's really helpful! I find reading the text book is impossible and that the practice problems are really useless. I did the tutorials and old tests for the last midterm but there really weren't that many problems on Kinetics which was where I was having trouble since there really wasn't a lot to practice with.

I would have to agree with what was said about doing the tutorial problems + practice midterms. Most importantly, DO NOT look at the solutions until you are finished going through the problems. Treat the practice midterms as real midterm exams and do it without looking at your notes if you can.

I didn't do well in first year chem because I didn't know how to study..I used to focus on textbook problems, and memorizing which will not work...you need to practice.

On the other hand, upper year chem courses were not easier in any way, if anything it just gets harder and more detailed but things will feel easier because you'll know how to study for it. Those 3 mark questions in 1st year chem are a little ridiculous, if you don't know the answer you're basically doomed, except with those part marks...but its not really designed for you to do super well, but with the right methods of studying its certainly possible.

Also in upper year chem courses (i've only taken 2OA3, chem bio 2p03 and am currently taking 2OB3), I find that the marking is more in your favour (ex. super easy to score well on the labs, assignments, and midterms tend to have written answers for part marks)

Good luck!
Old 02-09-2011 at 08:36 PM   #8
jamiebenyovi

Yeah i really find the 3 mark questions to be a little ridiculous. Having multiple choice questions worth 3 marks with rarely a place to earn any part marks really sucks. The only chem courses i'd probably take in second year are organic chem and if I don't need to take any more chem throughout university i certainly won't because it really isn't my best subject.
Old 02-09-2011 at 08:40 PM   #9
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
and midterms tend to have written answers for part marks)
Quote:
Having multiple choice questions worth 3 marks with rarely a place to earn any part marks really sucks
Lol, getting 1/3 or 0/3 on an MC question isn't that bad.

Not knowing how to do a synthesis question worth 15 marks on an exam worth 50%-75% of your final - that's bad.
Old 02-09-2011 at 08:48 PM   #10
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

Quote:
I can't say anything about any upper chem year courses besides Orgo 2OA/B3, so I don't mean to contradict what Serene said, but based on personal experience, second year chemistry has been infinitely better than first year. The main reason being that I learned how to actually study, haha. Also in second year we're given so much more opportunity for practice (you should see the endless list of old tutorials, assignments, midterms that have been posted to avenue.... its amazing) and if you make a genuine effort to understand concepts and learn the "language of orgo", you'll be fine. Unlike in first year... tests and exams were unfair and uncalled for, imo.

One of the reasons first year chem sucks is that if you had poor preparation in highschool, you're screwed. At least in second year, the material is new to everyone; nobody is at a disadvantage, everyone is on equal footing.

And to be totally honest... I barely remember anything from 1st year chem. Anything to do with calculations... buffers, pH, inorganic chemistry... completely blocked from my memory. And it hasn't hurt me at all.
Old 02-09-2011 at 09:02 PM   #11
gmoney

Liked: 21 Times

GO TO FARSHID's TUTORIAL.

he is an amazingggg TA. I'm in third year now, but I have a class in the same room that first year chem tutorials are in, and I see his name written on the board beside first year chem problems so i assume he's still a TA haha. He explains everything so well its insane. I struggled so much in first term chem, and then second term i started going to ALL his tutorials and it helped sooo much (my mark shot up to a 10 ). He has a way of explaining problems where he gives you the most useful tricks that you can apply to any problem. He won a TA award when I was in first year. I HIGHLY recommend going to all his tutorials, as he gives different advice and tricks depending on people's questions.

Biochem47 likes this.
Old 02-09-2011 at 09:08 PM   #12
smarties13

Liked: 16 Times

i dont know why people are discounting text practice problems here especially cause 3 out of the 5 3 mark questions on the buffer midterm was from the textbook!!!! i did all of them and i did decent on the midterm
Old 02-09-2011 at 09:40 PM   #13
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
GO TO FARSHID's TUTORIAL.

he is an amazingggg TA. I'm in third year now, but I have a class in the same room that first year chem tutorials are in, and I see his name written on the board beside first year chem problems so i assume he's still a TA haha. He explains everything so well its insane. I struggled so much in first term chem, and then second term i started going to ALL his tutorials and it helped sooo much (my mark shot up to a 10 ). He has a way of explaining problems where he gives you the most useful tricks that you can apply to any problem. He won a TA award when I was in first year. I HIGHLY recommend going to all his tutorials, as he gives different advice and tricks depending on people's questions.
YES!

Farshid is the man!!! If he's still TAing chem, I highly recommend him!

britb, L'Étoile like this.
Old 02-09-2011 at 10:16 PM   #14
BernaBee

Liked: 0 Times

I'm in the same boat as you ! Chem isn't really my thing (1AA3 is the last chem I need to take), I did really poorly in 1A03 and just when I thought I understood 1AA3 I received my 1st midterm mark and it was a disaster.
I'm also looking for tips from upper year students that can help me succeed this term. I think I need to look into my study habits especially since I don't have much of a foundation of chemistry from high school.
Thanks for posting this thread up I'm sure many others are in the same situation !
Old 02-10-2011 at 12:12 AM   #15
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

also try the practice problems posted on the textbook website (if they still give codes witht the book)