MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bio2C03 and Bio2A03 Exchange Nogah7 Academics 2 08-12-2010 07:50 PM
Exchange Average? emillar Academics 3 03-07-2010 12:53 AM
Winter Exchange! wongywj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 09-12-2009 11:51 AM
Mac Exchange? tigerize8 General Discussion 11 07-10-2009 01:10 AM
Aussie exchange student introduction Blake General Discussion 7 12-12-2008 11:04 AM

Student Exchange

Old 01-16-2009 at 10:34 PM   #1
lisforlaura

Liked: 0 Times

Student Exchange
Hi all!

I'm thinking of applying for an international exchange next year, and I'd like to know more about other McMaster students' experiences with international exchanges. I know I can hear a lot of great stories from students who are part of the committee at McMaster University, but I'd like to know if there's anything other than just wonderful things about it. Really, I just want to know more before making a decision.

That being said, I would love to hear ANYONE'S international exchange experiences.

If it matters I'm thinking of applying to Australia, England, and Amsterdam or perhaps Scotland.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2009 at 08:23 PM   #2
merissa

Liked: Liked 4 Times

Did you decide to go on exchange? I'm thinking of going on one as well.. Do you have any tips or advice that helped you make your decision? What's the difference between exchange programs and study abroad programs? If anybody else has any advice or stories to tell of their exchanges, please post thanks
Old 06-26-2009 at 08:36 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I think studying abroad, you just go. Exchange programs you switch with a student from where you are going to study.

Not sure about University, but in High School we didn't have to pay for housing because the students slept at each other's houses.
Old 06-28-2009 at 11:38 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

My friends who did exchanges (France, England) had to pay for their own residence. One stayed in res, one rented an apartment in lieu of staying in res.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-28-2009 at 12:13 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
My friends who did exchanges (France, England) had to pay for their own residence. One stayed in res, one rented an apartment in lieu of staying in res.
I guess university is different then.
Old 06-28-2009 at 08:48 PM   #6
starlight

Liked: 3 Times

I would love to go on an exchange =)
Is there a list of places to go on exchange for engineering students? ( I can only find the ESAP for Russia and Brazil but I was thinking of going to France, Korea or China)
Also, is it possible to do an exchange for the summer term or does it have to be 8 months/during the school year?
Old 06-28-2009 at 08:58 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Me too! It would be awesome! Probably the study abroad program is much easier than an exchange in my opinion! What are the costs in general? I guess residence is the most costly aspect of the whole thing.?
Old 06-28-2009 at 09:00 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlight View Post
I would love to go on an exchange =)
Is there a list of places to go on exchange for engineering students? ( I can only find the ESAP for Russia and Brazil but I was thinking of going to France, Korea or China)
Also, is it possible to do an exchange for the summer term or does it have to be 8 months/during the school year?
Here is a list of all the Exchanges possible.

http://www.mcmaster.ca/oia/programs.htm

There are some in France, Korea and China for engineering. Although Korea and China are just for mobility only. But anyways, it lists the countries, if it's undergrad or grad, if it's in english and who you have to contact. So it's very useful.

starlight says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-28-2009 at 09:01 PM   #9
merissa

ok thanks everyone for the help. i also found some more information on mcmaster's and other universities' website.

Starlight, check out this website for more info: http://oisa.mcmaster.ca/WSAguide/goingabroad.cfm. Mac has exchange agreements with various universities around the world, which are all listed here: http://www.mcmaster.ca/oia/programs.htm. but you can also study at other universities not listed, however you have to organize it yourself and pay tuition at the university you will be studying at (this is the "Study Abroad" option). whereas, if you do an Exchange Program, you pay tuition at mcmaster.

starlight says thanks to merissa for this post.
Old 06-28-2009 at 09:03 PM   #10
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

Not only residence will be expensive, school fees will also be expensive as you will be considered a foreigner, and most universities required foreigners to pay at least twice if not thrice the amount of standard school fees (if you were a local student).
Old 06-28-2009 at 09:04 PM   #11
merissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
Me too! It would be awesome! Probably the study abroad program is much easier than an exchange in my opinion! What are the costs in general? I guess residence is the most costly aspect of the whole thing.?
so if you do the exchange program, you pay tuition to mcmaster. if you do the study abroad option, you pay tuition to the overseas school (which would likely be much more expensive being an international student). then on top of that is obviously your housing, food, entertainment costs that you'd have to pay regardless, and then flights.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to merissa for this post.
Old 06-28-2009 at 09:08 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Not only residence will be expensive, school fees will also be expensive as you will be considered a foreigner, and most universities required foreigners to pay at least twice if not thrice the amount of standard school fees (if you were a local student).
In the end it should only be twice as expensive. Tuition is normally 3 times as high, but supplementary fees are so high that it normally reduces the total payment to 2 times as much. But yeah, it's because of international students that local students can attend university at a much lower cost. Imagine if there weren't any international students! :o
Old 06-28-2009 at 09:10 PM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa View Post
so if you do the exchange program, you pay tuition to mcmaster. if you do the study abroad option, you pay tuition to the overseas school (which would likely be much more expensive being an international student). then on top of that is obviously your housing, food, entertainment costs that you'd have to pay regardless, and then flights.
Ohh I see the difference now, Thanks!
And thanks Jeremy for the link.
merissa
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-28-2009 at 09:17 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa View Post
unless you go to a uni that has an exchange agreement with mac, then tuition will be the same as it would be if you stayed at mac
Well yeah, because of the agreement. It's most likely because students from the university abroad come to McMaster so neither University looses out. Or both Universities loose out depending on how you look at it XD