MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winter OSAP Pickup saukalra MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-28-2009 01:43 PM
Hard Courses During Fall/Winter or Spring/Summer? smiles Academics 14 08-20-2009 09:37 PM
Mac Exchange? tigerize8 General Discussion 11 07-10-2009 01:10 AM
Student Exchange lisforlaura Academics 38 06-29-2009 10:56 PM

Winter Exchange!

Old 09-12-2009 at 12:28 AM   #1
wongywj

Liked: 0 Times

Winter Exchange!
hey guysss : D

i'm josephine from singapore, heading to mcmaster for exchange next semester! really looking forward to it cause its my first time in canada! : ) not sure what i'll be expecting so it'd be really cool if any exchange student headed there during the same time drop me a mail ([email protected]), or even any of the current students share your experience with me! i'm just wondering how winter's like in hamilton cause well my tolerance for cold is almost well, non existent hahaha.

XOXO
Old 09-12-2009 at 12:52 AM   #2
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongywj View Post

i'm josephine from singapore, heading to mcmaster for exchange next semester! really looking forward to it cause its my first time in canada! : ) not sure what i'll be expecting so it'd be really cool if any exchange student headed there during the same time drop me a mail ([email protected]), or even any of the current students share your experience with me! i'm just wondering how winter's like in hamilton cause well my tolerance for cold is almost well, non existent hahaha.

XOXO
We live in igloos and drink beer. Also, be prepared to eat a lot of chilli.
Have fun,
from Adrian
Old 09-12-2009 at 04:25 AM   #3
ghjkghkghkgh

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongywj View Post

XOXO
Don't listen to adrian ;-) but it can get pretty cold in the winter here. A good winter jacket is important, and some Long Johns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_underwear) would be great if you're going to be walking a distance to campus (though some classrooms at Mac are kept unbearably hot, so it can be a tough balancing act).
Old 09-12-2009 at 09:15 AM   #4
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghjkghkghkgh View Post
Don't listen to adrian ;-) but it can get pretty cold in the winter here. A good winter jacket is important, and some Long Johns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_underwear) would be great if you're going to be walking a distance to campus (though some classrooms at Mac are kept unbearably hot, so it can be a tough balancing act).
Girls don't wear longjohns silly, they would rather freeze. It has something to do with their brain chemistry, or the fact that girls don't wear long johns.
Old 09-12-2009 at 09:59 AM   #5
myInteger

Liked: 1 Time

hey!
i used to live in singapore. Its a lot less crowded here (you may find it kinda lonely,) and pretty cold. it's bearable...i guess. its not as clean or rich as singapore. downtown hamilton is pretty run down. if you get a chance to go to downtown toronto you'll see ppl begging, not as many trees..

it'll be a good experience thouhg. most of all, our laws aren't so rigid like in singapore
Old 09-12-2009 at 10:04 AM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by myInteger View Post
hey!
i used to live in singapore. Its a lot less crowded here (you may find it kinda lonely,) and pretty cold. it's bearable...i guess. its not as clean or rich as singapore. downtown hamilton is pretty run down. if you get a chance to go to downtown toronto you'll see ppl begging, not as many trees..

it'll be a good experience thouhg. most of all, our laws aren't so rigid like in singapore
Just so you know all of Canada is not as run down as dirty as Hamilton or parts of downtown Toronto. Places out West and East have some really beautiful places.

Even some places in Ontario are really nice, just not the cities, especially downtown.
Old 09-12-2009 at 10:11 AM   #7
ghjkghkghkgh

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by myInteger View Post
hey!

Canada's richness comes from it's natural features. The city's aren't as nice as some of the rest of the world's, but it's mountains, lakes, forests, and coastlines are amongst the most beautiful and diverse one can find, imho.

Beyond that, we have some of the most abundant natural resources when it comes to things like water, oil, wood, diamonds, and wheat (the best pasta in the world is made from Canada's durum semolina :-). The wine industry of Southern Ontario is a major one too, well known for the quality and desirability of its product and also for having invented ice wine.

Some of the most important inventions and discoveries including the telephone, and penicillin have come from our home here in Canada.

There's a lot to love about Canada, and so the fact that our cities aren't the biggest or the most spectacular can be overlooked :-) In my opinion, that we have 1/10th the population and roughly twice the land (though some of it is permanently frozen) as compared to our closest neighbour country is among the reasons that things are the way they are here.

Last edited by ghjkghkghkgh : 09-12-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-12-2009 at 11:12 AM   #8
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

wtf are you people talking about?! Hamilton looks perfectly clean to me!
Lots of scenery, in the winter it'll all turn white though

I don't think I've been to downtown Hamilton but the off-campus places I've been, people are helpful and kind. I love it here!

the free Go Bus thing is the best!
Old 09-12-2009 at 11:19 AM   #9
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Anywhere past the first 5 minutes of bussing and hamilton starts looking not-so-clean. =/
Old 09-12-2009 at 11:33 AM   #10
Afzal
Android Dev

i disagree, i've been till the Shopper's drug mart on king st on the bus, and also around Hamilton on car and there was no place that looked unclean

the only place that smells is near the Commons Building where all the garbage is
Old 09-12-2009 at 11:37 AM   #11
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

The one in Westdale? Westdale is still very nice.

I thinking more downtown (course I haven't been there in months so I don't remember the exact amount of time needed to bus there >__>)... Then again, downtown of virtually anywhere is usually dirty
Old 09-12-2009 at 11:39 AM   #12
Afzal
Android Dev

oh ok...I haven't been to downtown...I don't like downtown-ish places
Old 09-12-2009 at 11:45 AM   #13
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

I don't either. But you should try at least once though. They have some good restaurants there.

(Alright I've mostly (only?) had all-you-can-eat Asian food there, but there's (probably) other stuff, I swear)
Old 09-12-2009 at 11:51 AM   #14
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

Most parts of downtown arn't up to par with other cities and its a little dirty but there are nicer parts. I would recommend the mountain though. There are nice parks and trees, its clean, theres a mall (better than Jackson IMO because I don't even know why ppl think Jackson is so special and its definitely cleaner). Also other parts of Hamilon are also nice like Stoney Creek and Ancaster (both have movie theatres and lots of new areas and things).