MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bio2C03 and Bio2A03 Exchange Nogah7 Academics 2 08-12-2010 07:50 PM
Exchange Average? emillar Academics 3 03-07-2010 12:53 AM
Winter Exchange! wongywj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 09-12-2009 11:51 AM
Mac Exchange? tigerize8 General Discussion 11 07-10-2009 01:10 AM
Aussie exchange student introduction Blake General Discussion 7 12-12-2008 11:04 AM

Student Exchange

Old 06-28-2009 at 09:18 PM   #16
merissa

Liked: Liked 4 Times

yeah, true.
other than costs, does anybody know any other differences between the study abroad and exchange programs?
Old 06-28-2009 at 09:49 PM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa View Post
yeah, true.
other than costs, does anybody know any other differences between the study abroad and exchange programs?
Not entirely sure, but wouldn't the courses be pre-approved for exchange programs?
Old 06-28-2009 at 11:13 PM   #18
gmon

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
In the end it should only be twice as expensive. Tuition is normally 3 times as high, but supplementary fees are so high that it normally reduces the total payment to 2 times as much. But yeah, it's because of international students that local students can attend university at a much lower cost. Imagine if there weren't any international students! :o
I think International fees are so high to make up for them not paying the taxes that subsidize higher education, not as a means to lower tuition costs for the rest of us. Tuition is heavily subsidized by the government, so just think how unfair it would be if anyone from any country could come to Canada and have Canadian tax payers pay for their education. That would be totally lame.
Exchange programs work as a partnership where students basically trade places, avoiding any imbalances that could leave governments having to fund education for students who are not citizens.

Anyway, McMaster has a good exchange program, so unless you are wildly wealthy and want to go somewhere we don't have a partnership with, its probably better to stick with the exchange service.

Under the exchange program you pay your tuition to McMaster, and I'm not 100% on this, but I think you need to sign/agree to come back and finish your degree at McMaster.
Residence costs as well as food and entertainment depend on the country you are going to and the cost of living there. I think most of the destinations are in large cities and/or wealthy countries so I would expect things to be more expensive than Hamilton just about where-ever you go. (though probably comparable to living in downtown Toronto)
One thing to keep in mind though is while it's probably possible to do exchange on a budget, you don't go on exchange to save money, you go to experience a different culture and explore a new place. Based on what I've heard, this costs lots of $$... but so does tourism, and if you go on exchange, you can pass off your tourism/partying as an educational experience. (not that exchange isn't an educational experience!)

I think usually you apply for exchange in the fall of your 2nd year, and leave during your 3rd year. (this is a strict rule for commerce, other faculties may be able to do it differently) You also get setup with previous exchange students from McMaster (and sometimes from other countries!) to find out more about their experiences while abroad. (this is the best possible marketing for the exchange program, people are ALWAYS thrilled with their exchange experiences)

As for courses, the business faculty keeps a record of course equivalencies between partner institutions, so you will always know in advance if courses at other schools will satisfy your requirements at Mac. (I would assume other faculties do the same) So it is easy to get your courses pre-approved if you go to a school that has had many prior visits by McMaster students.

I'm leaving for my exchange to Oslo later this summer, so I can't really comment to much on the actual experience of it, but I can say the application process and lead up has been smooth and relatively easy, and as a whole I have been made to feel very optimistic about the whole thing.

Last edited by gmon : 06-29-2009 at 10:09 AM.

merissa, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to gmon for this post.
Old 06-28-2009 at 11:29 PM   #19
merissa

Liked: Liked 4 Times

thanks for all the info gmon

i've read in a few places that exchange programs can be pretty competitive. is this true? when did you actually find out that you were accepted/approved to do the exchange?
Old 06-28-2009 at 11:31 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Hmmm, the taxes thing doesn't make too much sense though. I mean it makes things "fair" because they haven't been paying taxes. However, everyone here pays taxes which a part of goes to the universities. I still believe that if there were no International students the tuition would be a lot higher for Canadians. After all, the Universities only get a certain amount of money every year from the government depending on how much taxes were collected. Which means the University has to make a certain amount of money in order to pay for everything, obviously the taxes don't cover everything. So the amount of money they need to make comes from the students. Say they need a million dollars. If there are only Canadian students, then they would have to cover the entire million. But since there are also international students Canadian students wouldn't have to pay as much since the international students pay above the average tuition.

I know the entire fairness in the fact that we've been paying through taxes all our lives, but I think what I said above makes sense. But in fact it could be a combination of both. Since we've been paying taxes all our lives, our tuition is lowered and since international students haven't been paying taxes, then their tuition increases.
Old 06-29-2009 at 10:43 AM   #21
gmon

Liked: 0 Times

Yea I tried googling it and it seems like you're right, the schools pretty much just tax the hell out of international students as a way to bring in extra revenue.

@merissa:
I don't think it is all that competitive. You need something like a 7 average, have to submit a somewhat lengthly application, and then there is a group interview. I think this is just to make sure you have done some research/know what you are getting into, and the interview is to make sure you have the right attitude. (ie: they want to make sure you wan't embarass the school/Canada while abroad) They score you mathematically based on your grades and your interview, and then give the people with the highest scores their first choices. There are usually only one or two spots available at each destination, so there is some competitiveness in that sense. My impression is that most people got their first choice, although I do know one guy who got his 3rd :(

Nomination letters from McMaster are mailed out in the middle of February (meaning you are accepted into the exchange program), and you need to apply directly to the exchange destination after this. I think this is a formality though, and you are pretty much guaranteed to be accepted to the university once you are nominated to the exchange program.
Old 06-29-2009 at 05:33 PM   #22
starlight

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Here is a list of all the Exchanges possible.

http://www.mcmaster.ca/oia/programs.htm

There are some in France, Korea and China for engineering. Although Korea and China are just for mobility only. But anyways, it lists the countries, if it's undergrad or grad, if it's in english and who you have to contact. So it's very useful.
Thanks! What does mobility only mean?
Old 06-29-2009 at 05:38 PM   #23
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlight View Post
Thanks! What does mobility only mean?
Not sure what that means... Using the definition of the dictionary I would assume it means that you'll have to move around a lot while in that country?
Old 06-29-2009 at 06:33 PM   #24
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

But one main point however must be that you need to know the language of the country right? I was browsing online one day at some Mac Website and it said you needed to know the language of the host country to some extent :S

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 06-29-2009 at 07:00 PM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
But one main point however must be that you need to know the language of the country right? I was browsing online one day at some Mac Website and it said you needed to know the language of the host country to some extent :S
Some of the exchanges show that the studies may be done in english. But yes, you should know the language of the host country. It'll be hard to shop or get around otherwise.
Old 06-29-2009 at 10:03 PM   #26
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Pfft shopping.

BATHROOM! You always need to know how to ask to go to the bathroom!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-29-2009 at 10:11 PM   #27
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Pfft shopping.

BATHROOM! You always need to know how to ask to go to the bathroom!
Well, I'm assuming you want to buy things to eat.
Old 06-29-2009 at 10:29 PM   #28
starlight

Ohh thanks anyways!
P.S. Jeremy, how do you know Natasha? Haha it was so weird I was on her facebook and saw your name lol
Old 06-29-2009 at 10:30 PM   #29
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlight View Post
Ohh thanks anyways!
P.S. Jeremy, how do you know Natasha? Haha it was so weird I was on her facebook and saw your name lol
Natasha Tjong? I know her from highschool. I was at Brebeuf, the all boys school, and she went to St. Joes, the all girls school. The schools are pretty close to each other. So sad though, I heard St. Joes sold their school... Sucks for Brebeuf Lol
Old 06-29-2009 at 10:33 PM   #30
starlight

Wong lol...and Calvin haha