MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Library to sit and study Juve First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-11-2010 06:44 PM
What are your study menthods? vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 08-19-2010 08:42 PM
HTH SCI 3P06 - Therapeutic Drugs in the Marketplace jordan19 Academics 2 08-11-2010 11:34 PM
G1: How & where to study it from? huzaifa47 General Discussion 12 06-17-2009 12:13 AM
How to study? MacEng Academics 6 09-14-2008 01:04 PM

Study Drugs?

Old 09-19-2010 at 11:51 AM   #1
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

Study Drugs?
Forgive me if this is old, but I just heard about it recently. College and University students using certain drugs to aid in studying, or cognition?

I know we've all been down the caffeine route to pull all-night study sessions, but that's as far as it ever went. This is the first I'm hearing about students using other drugs. I also know it's said fish-oil enhances memory, but it's nothing to wow over.

Has anyone gone this route? I'm not talking about illegal drugs either, lol. Apparently their easily accessible OTC or by prescription.

Sounds interesting, but I'm a skeptical person.
Old 09-19-2010 at 11:56 AM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Alot use Redbull or the likes.
Old 09-19-2010 at 11:59 AM   #3
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I haven't personally gone that route, but yeah, I've heard of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderal...-enhancing_use
Old 09-19-2010 at 12:10 PM   #4
Greco

I've been reading Huperzine-A is one of the best, and is actually a natural product.
Old 09-19-2010 at 12:19 PM   #5
Greco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
I haven't personally gone that route, but yeah, I've heard of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderal...-enhancing_use
Adderall is for ADHD. I'm actually really interested in how a regular person can get put on it. I've heard a lot of good grade results though from people who were on it. What do they do, just walk into the docs, say they have problems focusing, and get put on Adderall? LOL
Old 09-19-2010 at 12:28 PM   #6
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

I use time management and realizing that you're probably better off getting a full night's sleep and starting fresh in the morning instead of cramming all at once.

AelyaS, doug, hamnahx02 like this.
Old 09-19-2010 at 12:37 PM   #7
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
Adderall is for ADHD. I'm actually really interested in how a regular person can get put on it. I've heard a lot of good grade results though from people who were on it. What do they do, just walk into the docs, say they have problems focusing, and get put on Adderall? LOL
Probably some people do, but I think most people buy it off people with a prescription (which may or may not be someone who actually does have ADHD). Most of the people I know with ADHD don't like taking their meds anyway, so they always have a lot kicking around. Selling them is a good way to make some extra money.

Actually, Ritalin is another ADHD drug that is often used as a study drug (or as a recreational one).
Old 09-19-2010 at 12:45 PM   #8
Greco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
Probably some people do, but I think most people buy it off people with a prescription (which may or may not be someone who actually does have ADHD). Most of the people I know with ADHD don't like taking their meds anyway, so they always have a lot kicking around. Selling them is a good way to make some extra money.

Actually, Ritalin is another ADHD drug that is often used as a study drug (or as a recreational one).
I'd probably be a bit worried in taking those, even as a study drug, to avoid becoming dependent on them. I'm actually quite curious in the effects of study drugs though. I wouldn't be opposed to trying Huperzine-A, which is a natural supplement, see if it has any effect.
Old 09-19-2010 at 01:30 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
I'd probably be a bit worried in taking those, even as a study drug, to avoid becoming dependent on them. I'm actually quite curious in the effects of study drugs though. I wouldn't be opposed to trying Huperzine-A, which is a natural supplement, see if it has any effect.
Okay, natural product DOES NOT make it safe or without side effects. Most drugs are 'natural products'. For example, vincristine is used as a chemotherapy drug to fight cancers--primarily leukemias and lymphomas. As you're probably aware, chemo drugs are cell-toxic and come with a whole boatload of nasty side effects. Vincristine is also classified as a natural product, though--it's isolated from the Madagascar periwinkle plant.

A quick search of huperzine-A tells me that it's an acetylcholinesterase (AChE) inhibitor. These compounds are used in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, since these people have too little acetylcholine, so partially inhibiting the enzyme that breaks it down is useful. For someone with normal amounts of aceytlcholine, inhibiting AChE can be fatal, because an increase in acetylcholine without anything to break it down will cause sustained firing of neurons. This is the mechanism through which many 'nerve gases' work--and nerve gases are so toxic that they're classified as 'chemical weapons of mass destruction'.
Huperzine-A probably won't kill you if taken in small doses...but since you have no idea what exactly constitutes a 'small dose', it's not something that's safe to experiment with when you have absolutely no knowledge or appreciation for how it works.

/end rant
Since natural products (and AChE inhibitors) are a main focus of my program, I felt compelled to comment

dsahota, Mahratta like this.
Old 09-19-2010 at 01:34 PM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Don't do Adderall. Most people that it's 'effective' on are probably undiagnosed mild ADHD cases. If you don't actually have that problem, I believe it causes pretty much the opposite effect of what you're trying to do.

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 09-19-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2010 at 01:38 PM   #11
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

You could argue that coffee is a drug, but aw man, it's not. It's a way of life
~obsessed~

Taking this sort of stuff isn't worth the possible risks. Just sleep and good food and the occasional study break to make room for breaking into song and dance.

temptingf8 likes this.
Old 09-19-2010 at 01:41 PM   #12
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
You could argue that coffee is a drug, but aw man, it's not. It's a way of life
~obsessed~

Taking this sort of stuff isn't worth the possible risks. Just sleep and good food and the occasional study break to make room for breaking into song and dance.
Coffee isn't a drug, caffeine is...in the same way cocaine or ethanol are drugs--they're not prescribed for anything, they're just used recreationally, but they are small molecules with a biological effect.
Old 09-19-2010 at 01:45 PM   #13
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

I'm sorry, I should have reworded my statement. It's sort of what I meant.

Chemical biology major-1
English major-0

doug, justinsftw like this.
Old 09-19-2010 at 01:58 PM   #14
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
I'm sorry, I should have reworded my statement. It's sort of what I meant.

Chemical biology major-1
English major-0
LOOOOL
Old 09-19-2010 at 03:12 PM   #15
Greco

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Okay, natural product DOES NOT make it safe or without side effects. Most drugs are 'natural products'. For example, vincristine is used as a chemotherapy drug to fight cancers--primarily leukemias and lymphomas. As you're probably aware, chemo drugs are cell-toxic and come with a whole boatload of nasty side effects. Vincristine is also classified as a natural product, though--it's isolated from the Madagascar periwinkle plant.

A quick search of huperzine-A tells me that it's an acetylcholinesterase (AChE) inhibitor. These compounds are used in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, since these people have too little acetylcholine, so partially inhibiting the enzyme that breaks it down is useful. For someone with normal amounts of aceytlcholine, inhibiting AChE can be fatal, because an increase in acetylcholine without anything to break it down will cause sustained firing of neurons. This is the mechanism through which many 'nerve gases' work--and nerve gases are so toxic that they're classified as 'chemical weapons of mass destruction'.
Huperzine-A probably won't kill you if taken in small doses...but since you have no idea what exactly constitutes a 'small dose', it's not something that's safe to experiment with when you have absolutely no knowledge or appreciation for how it works.

/end rant
Since natural products (and AChE inhibitors) are a main focus of my program, I felt compelled to comment
Yes, it's used for Alzheimer's patients, but in different doses. After doing some research I've found that Huperzine is sold in health stores, for example: http://www.nutritionhouse.co m/item... -_60_Capsules

not at all geared to Alzheimer's patients, likely a much smaller dose, with added ingredients, and not as strong.