MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Library to sit and study Juve First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-11-2010 06:44 PM
What are your study menthods? vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 08-19-2010 08:42 PM
HTH SCI 3P06 - Therapeutic Drugs in the Marketplace jordan19 Academics 2 08-11-2010 11:34 PM
G1: How & where to study it from? huzaifa47 General Discussion 12 06-17-2009 12:13 AM
How to study? MacEng Academics 6 09-14-2008 01:04 PM

Study Drugs?

Old 09-19-2010 at 03:44 PM   #16
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

i just take omega 3 supplements
Old 09-19-2010 at 03:46 PM   #17
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
Yes, it's used for Alzheimer's patients, but in different doses. After doing some research I've found that Huperzine is sold in health stores, for example: http://www.nutritionhouse.co m/item... -_60_Capsules

not at all geared to Alzheimer's patients, likely a much smaller dose, with added ingredients, and not as strong.
But what if your BRAIN EXPLODES AND EVERYONE DIES BECAUSE IT EMITS DEADLY NEUROTOXIN!?

Old 09-19-2010 at 04:46 PM   #18
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

chyaaa

Greco, nerual like this.
Old 09-19-2010 at 05:53 PM   #19
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

If you're in the position to take drugs to help you study, you've already failed in terms of study methods.. use this as your drug: http://csd.mcmaster.ca/academic/onlineresources.html

aaront, temptingf8 like this.
Old 09-19-2010 at 05:58 PM   #20
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
If you're in the position to take drugs to help you study, you've already failed in terms of study methods.. use this as your drug: http://csd.mcmaster.ca/academic/onlineresources.html

Legit.
Old 09-19-2010 at 05:59 PM   #21
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
Yes, it's used for Alzheimer's patients, but in different doses. After doing some research I've found that Huperzine is sold in health stores, for example: http://www.nutritionhouse.co m/item... -_60_Capsules

not at all geared to Alzheimer's patients, likely a much smaller dose, with added ingredients, and not as strong.
It's the same molecule, though. And for the record, I know someone who died from taking too many 'natural supplements' sold in health stores. He just didn't understand what they could actually do, and assumed that because they're natural they must be safe--he even worked at a health/nutrition store.

In terms of the actual compound, I have serious doubts it would actually help--I think most of the effect of these types of drugs is from the placebo effect. The medicinal dose that would be used in someone with Alzheimer's would be the minimum effective dose. Also, inhibiting AChE in a healthy person wouldn't have beneficial effects anyways.

PS, andrew22, did you know that you can isolate an AChE inhibitor (galanthamine) from daffodils? And that this is done commercially? Or was that just a random picture
Old 09-19-2010 at 06:20 PM   #22
vkozina

Liked: 6 Times

Get at least 8 hours of sleep/ night, eat right and exercise....there's your drugs
=)
Old 09-19-2010 at 06:40 PM   #23
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Relevant: http://www.theonion.com/articles/add...harvard,17527/
Old 09-19-2010 at 06:42 PM   #24
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post
LOL
I love the Onion!!!
Old 09-19-2010 at 06:48 PM   #25
doug

Liked: 82 Times

I thought all university students were into cocaine!!!

You mean, my CA lied?!?!?!?
Old 09-19-2010 at 07:00 PM   #26
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post

PS, andrew22, did you know that you can isolate an AChE inhibitor (galanthamine) from daffodils? And that this is done commercially? Or was that just a random picture
nah something else, coincidence.

Last edited by andrew22 : 09-19-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-19-2010 at 08:00 PM   #27
mac_nurse90
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

I agree with the above posters about using time management, sleep and the CSD. In my opinion, as a nursing student, resorting to drugs is a little extreme. Especially with supplements. They are unregulated! There is no law limiting what advertisers can say! (e.g. note the huge assortment of "instant weight loss" pills, "cleansing" pills, acai, etc).

I would NEVER take any prescription drug (ie Adderall) to aid studying! You never know how it's gonna react with you (i.e. drug/food/alcohol interactions; drug allergy, long-term effects). IT IS NOT WORTH IT! (although I understand that it could be tempting in some scenarios!). Especially with drugs that affect the neurological system/brain...sounds kinda scary.

I used to take an "herbal" over-the-counter remedy (St John's Wort) for anxiety/depression/concentration problems and medical professionals did not like that one bit. Most regarded herbal remedies as pharmaceutical drugs and assumed someone actually prescribed it to me (even though I just picked it up at Shoppers Drug Mart).
Just because something is "herbal" doesn't mean it's safe! (They can definitely interact with other "prescription" drugs and cause almost toxic, amplified effects or cause other drugs not to work). You also never know what else a herbal remedy contains (e.g. toxic compounds, preservatives, allergens etc)

I definitely support using the CSD or just time management! (Unfortunately, I am a horrible procrastinator!!!). Yeah it is definitely tempting to resort to instant fixes. I myself drink like 2-3 Red Bulls/night during exam time! But my doctor didn't like that...

As a nursing student who gets drilled constantly about medication errors and complications, I just HAD to reply to this!

**EDIT**: Sorry just on the topic of medications, if you think you may have anxiety/depression etc or are thinking of taking St. John's Wort, please see a medical professional first (the CSD is awesome) ASAP. St John's Wort (and other stuff that I did) did not work at all for me but seeking medical advice did help me with concentration problems, thus improving my school marks, concentration and homework habits. I just mentioned this because mental and cognitive issues ARE HUGE for our age group, especially since we have school factored in! ***

Last edited by mac_nurse90 : 09-19-2010 at 08:24 PM.

nerual likes this.