MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Im so stupid! eebs95 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-02-2013 10:50 PM
Timetable looking Stupid!? Help! amitoj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-10-2010 06:59 PM
quick, probably stupid question =D DMe3 Academics 1 06-13-2010 02:20 AM
Stupid is what stupid does Command "S" Residence & Housing 47 02-09-2010 12:01 AM
This sounds like a *really* stupid question, but it's been nagging at me... JEFF_CHAN Academics 2 09-08-2008 11:40 PM

Stupid question but...

Old 07-21-2014 at 07:30 PM   #1
inkhawk157

Liked: 0 Times

Stupid question but...
Is water (hot water for example) usually included in rent? One lease I saw doesn't say it includes it and when I asked the landlord, he laughed and said "of course" and he told me he would just write it in for my sake.

I am under the impression that houses in Canada don't include water and while apartments do.
Old 07-21-2014 at 07:35 PM   #2
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

Ask him to include it in the lease agreement. Don't agree to a stupid verbal agreement as that is BS.
Old 07-22-2014 at 10:30 AM   #3
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Just have him write it in, but water is generally included.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.
Old 07-22-2014 at 11:08 AM   #4
knguyens2

Liked: 1 Time

Have him write it in. I have friends who have rented places in which they had to pay their own electricity, cable bills, etc, and including water bills.
Old 07-22-2014 at 12:23 PM   #5
sf

Liked: 36 Times

I have rented several places and have always had to pay for water, electricity etc., it's quite common. Make sure the landlord formally writes in his and your copy of the lease that water is included.
Old 07-22-2014 at 02:28 PM   #6
inkhawk157

Liked: 0 Times

I see, so it isn't a stupid question afterall. Because he treated me like a 12-year-old or some dumb first year when I asked him to.
Old 07-22-2014 at 03:23 PM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

You can't generalize it as "houses don't include water and apartments do". It's different depending on how the landlord has set it up.

Also, if you asked the landlord about hot water, he might think of the actual hot water heater, which should be already in the house. You don't differentiate hot vs cold water when you pay for it - the difference comes in the energy used to heat the water, which is a separate bill.

So, the question "is water included" isn't a stupid question at all, since it depends on the landlord, but when you add in "hot water, for example" it sounds weird and doesn't really make much sense.