MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many courses can one take in the summer? oli13 Academics 2 02-09-2011 11:55 AM
Summer courses KRoon10 Academics 4 02-08-2011 04:27 PM
Summer Courses? :| ishk33 Academics 4 02-08-2011 12:13 PM
anyone know when elm will be up for summer courses? sinthusized Academics 3 05-04-2010 10:37 PM
Summer Courses hishkabab Academics 7 01-11-2009 09:11 PM

Summer Co-op vs Summer Courses

Old 12-05-2013 at 11:46 AM   #1
johnnyd710

Liked: 0 Times

Summer Co-op vs Summer Courses
I am in Engineering in my first year at McMaster. I would like to hear your opinions on whether it would be more beneficial to take second year courses during the summer to "get ahead" and make next year easier for me, or to take a co-op to start building a nice resume and pay off some of my tuition!
Thoughts?

Also is it possible/manageable to do both? (Like take one summer course and also a co-op)
Thanks
Old 12-05-2013 at 11:52 AM   #2
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Math 2z03 and 2zz3 are absolutely terrible courses and a lot easier in the summer. That said if you can get a coop i would try that because ultimately job experience is everything. Marks etc dont matter once you get your first job after graduating.
Old 12-05-2013 at 12:08 PM   #3
RSK1

Liked: 10 Times

If you can land a coop definitely do that, it will improve your resume, give you experience, and an advantage when you apply to future positions, which is your ultimate goal. The math courses really aren't that difficult, throughout my first year all I heard was "oh do math in the summer its brutal" or "math will be the hardest course, better do it over the summer". It's an easy class, class average on the midterm was 77 which is extremely high for any class let alone math. If you can handle the first year math courses, you'll be fine. That being said, first year coop is difficult to land; however, it is possible. I would try to get that first and if it doesn't happen, then its more beneficial to take a course over the summer.
Old 12-05-2013 at 12:29 PM   #4
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK1 View Post
If you can land a coop definitely do that, it will improve your resume, give you experience, and an advantage when you apply to future positions, which is your ultimate goal. The math courses really aren't that difficult, throughout my first year all I heard was "oh do math in the summer its brutal" or "math will be the hardest course, better do it over the summer". It's an easy class, class average on the midterm was 77 which is extremely high for any class let alone math. If you can handle the first year math courses, you'll be fine. That being said, first year coop is difficult to land; however, it is possible. I would try to get that first and if it doesn't happen, then its more beneficial to take a course over the summer.
Yeah because Gabardo isn't teaching it anymore, it used to be ~50% averages.
Anyway, OP, it will be difficult for you to get a co-op out of first year, not impossible, but difficult. I'd suggest trying to take all of your electives during the summer, and maybe things like Eng Econ (I think its offered in the summer).
Old 12-14-2013 at 10:07 AM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

There are very few courses that engineering students can take over the summer in their entire undergrad. Take any and all courses in summer to free up those months for either working or coop placements. Pad your resume with part time work while doing summer school courses like math and your electives. You WILL NOT be able to take your upper year courses during the summer -- they're just not offered for some reason.
Old 12-14-2013 at 10:20 AM   #6
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

It's very hard to find a coop job after first year, but it's a bit easier after 2nd year. So taking math 2z03/2zz3 this summer is much better. If you do end up taking them during the school year and you somehow fail/drop them then you waste a good opportunity for coop (after 2nd year).
Keep looking for a coop job, but at the same time register for summer school, and if you do find a job by the end of first year, then you can just drop them and go ahead with your coop.

Last edited by jim1 : 12-14-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-14-2013 at 12:13 PM   #7
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

If you get a co-op, do that. If you don't, and don't mind paying more money to the school and having summer classes, then getting ahead never hurts.

Why are you paying more? After 33 units in one academic year (Sept. - April), you get classes "free". So if you take 6 units in the summer, you pay for them then and can't lump them into your already-heightened unit load. So, just assuming $300 per unit, you would spend 6 * $ 300 = $1800 extra to get ahead and save stress.

Just another consideration. It's only really a ripoff for engineering students.

Old 12-14-2013 at 12:41 PM   #8
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Get coop if u can
Old 12-14-2013 at 01:08 PM   #9
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

2nd year math midterms this year have had high avgs so far with the new prof math also. math aint as scary for 2nd years now.