MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
Spring/Summer 2009 Final Grades Available on August 25 saukalra MacInsiders Announcements 7 08-25-2009 08:09 PM

Summer school in August?

Old 01-08-2011 at 02:52 PM   #1
Strategy

Liked: 46 Times

Summer school in August?
Is it possible to do summer school in August at Mac? I plan on taking Orgo I. The reason I want to do it in August as opposed to May is so I can lease an apartment from August 2011 - April of 2012. If I take Orgo in May, I don't know where I'll be able to stay for 1 month (can you lease for 1 month? lol).

Any suggestions on this? :S
Old 01-08-2011 at 02:56 PM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

idk what you mean by august... there's no summer school in august.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-08-2011 at 03:02 PM   #3
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategy View Post
Is it possible to do summer school in August at Mac? I plan on taking Orgo I. The reason I want to do it in August as opposed to May is so I can lease an apartment from August 2011 - April of 2012. If I take Orgo in May, I don't know where I'll be able to stay for 1 month (can you lease for 1 month? lol).

Any suggestions on this? :S
orgo 1 is offered in the first term of summer and orgo 2 is offered in the second term and the second term is done within the first week of aug.
Old 01-08-2011 at 03:06 PM   #4
Jessicaaaa

Liked: 42 Times

you might be able to sublet an appt from someone for one month?
Old 01-08-2011 at 04:56 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I don't see why you can't sublet for one month, if you look hard enough. Or maybe get an apartment? Also, you can't take orgo in august. You have to take the first part Chem 2OA3 before you can take 2OB3. And that's only offered in the Spring Term (Starts in May and ends in mid-June) and only after that can you enroll in 2OB3 (Starts from the end of June I believe with exams in the first week of August or so.)
Old 01-08-2011 at 05:49 PM   #6
Strategy

Thanks for the info guys

For those of you who ave taken organic chemistry in the summer (both orgo I and orgo II), can you explain what the schedule was like? (in terms of lectures, tutorials, and labs).

I can't find anything like this at all on the internet, sorry :/ I'm just trying to see if I could maybe commute during the entire summer (I live 40 minutes away from Mac).
Old 01-08-2011 at 05:53 PM   #7
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

where can i see the courses available for summer school ? and how long is it anyway
Old 01-08-2011 at 06:35 PM   #8
Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juve View Post
where can i see the courses available for summer school ? and how long is it anyway
I looked and it says the schedule is not posted yet. It will be available in March.
Old 01-08-2011 at 06:44 PM   #9
dsalvatore

Liked: 67 Times

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys

For those of you who ave taken organic chemistry in the summer (both orgo I and orgo II), can you explain what the schedule was like? (in terms of lectures, tutorials, and labs).

I can't find anything like this at all on the internet, sorry :/ I'm just trying to see if I could maybe commute during the entire summer (I live 40 minutes away from Mac).
I've taken the two first year Chems (1A03 and AA3) in the summer and I'm pretty sure Orgo is run the same way. A summer school course is usually only two days a week (either Mondays and Wednesdays or Tuesdays and Thursdays) and each lecture is 3 hours (usually 9am-12pm). Theres one lab a week and the lab is offered three different days of the week, same goes for tutorials. I usually pick a lab and tutorial that are on the same days as my lectures so I don't have to come to Mac another day because I commute.

Hope that helps!

Strategy says thanks to dsalvatore for this post.
Old 01-08-2011 at 06:54 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juve View Post
Schedule for Spring/Summer 2011 comes out in March still.

As for structure of lectures, it's 2 days a week, each is a 3-hour lecture. Last summer, it was 6-9 PM. And then there's a 3-hour lab everyweek, I believe the labs are offered 3-5 days a week at a specific time, I think last year it was 1:30-4:30, and tutorials are also offered several days, probably before or after labs..

PS- If you go to the Master timetable here: https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/ and look at the dropdown menu under "session" you can see how the schedule was like in Spring/Summer 2010.

Strategy says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.

Juve likes this.
Old 01-08-2011 at 09:21 PM   #11
Strategy

Very helpful everyone! If its only 2 days a week, I might as well just commute It's only 40 minutes one way
Old 01-08-2011 at 09:35 PM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Very helpful everyone! If its only 2 days a week, I might as well just commute It's only 40 minutes one way
If that's the case, then it would be much cheaper to just commute. I have a friend who took summer school and commuted (1.5 hours each way) and it was fine , plus you get to stay at home .
Old 01-09-2011 at 02:12 PM   #13
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
As Sara said, commuting isn't that bad. I've got a 30 minute (with the reliability of the GO buses, it's usually 10-15 minutes above that, if not more) commute - it can be tough during the year, but you shouldn't have any problems with 30-40 minutes in the summer.