MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The LSS Presents: The Graduate School Experience murgling MacInsiders Announcements 2 03-23-2011 02:59 PM
Graduate school thebends Academics 6 08-24-2010 06:57 PM
Graduate School (masters) Clematis Academics 6 08-18-2010 11:52 PM
upgraded marks- graduate school milkproject Academics 11 04-10-2010 04:39 PM
Post-Graduate Series Part Six: Graduate School lorend Post-Graduate Advice Series 2 05-06-2009 12:19 PM

summer school for graduate schools

Old 06-14-2011 at 11:16 PM   #1
luna

Liked: 10 Times

summer school for graduate schools
Do the spring/summer sessions count towards graduate/professional schools?
Old 06-14-2011 at 11:21 PM   #2
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
Do the spring/summer sessions count towards graduate/professional schools?
Depends on the school.

For Ontario med:

McMaster/Queens/Northern: Yes
Western/Toronto/Ottawa: No

DarkHalo says thanks to UlteriorMtve for this post.

spyridm likes this.
Old 06-14-2011 at 11:21 PM   #3
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

i think you need to be a bitttttt more specific - because it depends on the school and the program
some places just take it as a "completion" credit and do not factor it into your cumulative average and others will

For McMaster however, yes, it will count towards your GPA and it will be counted for graduate programs

hahaha exactly what i was thinking UlteriorMtve!
Old 06-14-2011 at 11:46 PM   #4
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

umm i dont know about if it counts towards the gpa.... um in terms of counting the courses for the requirements id assume so.. otherwise not as many med school hopefuls would be taking orgo in the summer
Old 06-15-2011 at 12:10 AM   #5
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I'm pretty sure that queens doesn't care, unless you do so poorly in your best two years that they need to use the alternative weighting.

Then again it might have changed since 2009.

Edit: not sure what you mean by counts, if you mean it's okay as a prereq all schools count it. Whether or not they use the marks is another.

Old 06-19-2011 at 11:22 AM   #6
luna

Liked: 10 Times

i mean in terms of counting towards gpa and fulfilling the requirement for professional schools
Old 06-19-2011 at 11:47 AM   #7
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
i mean in terms of counting towards gpa and fulfilling the requirement for professional schools
if the sumer courses u have taken are at mac then yes they will count towards ur gpa, if they were taken at another uni then no they will not count towards your gpa. also some prof/grad schools will look at the grades you got in the summer courses but it all depends on if the course is a requirement or not, and the grad/prof school itself. different schools do diff things it all varies.

in terms of them counting for requirements , YES, summer courses can count towards a requirement for entry into grad/prof school. like i said earlier a lot of med school hopefuls do orgo in the summer because it is presumed to be easier and ur apparently able to get a better grade in it over the summer. if summer orgo didn't count towards med school req then i doubt it would be as popular as it is now.
Old 06-19-2011 at 01:44 PM   #8
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
if the sumer courses u have taken are at mac then yes they will count towards ur gpa, if they were taken at another uni then no they will not count towards your gpa. also some prof/grad schools will look at the grades you got in the summer courses but it all depends on if the course is a requirement or not, and the grad/prof school itself. different schools do diff things it all varies.

in terms of them counting for requirements , YES, summer courses can count towards a requirement for entry into grad/prof school. like i said earlier a lot of med school hopefuls do orgo in the summer because it is presumed to be easier and ur apparently able to get a better grade in it over the summer. if summer orgo didn't count towards med school req then i doubt it would be as popular as it is now.
Clarification:

They count towards your cGPA at Mac and summer courses from other schools are just applied as a credit.

However, some schools like Mac Med will count your summer grades (even if it is from another school). Most do not, but they will count it as a prereq.