MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social Sciences anyone? Alina Introduce Yourself 9 08-26-2012 01:37 AM
social sciences anyone? :) leedermp Introduce Yourself 10 08-31-2010 09:14 PM
Course Help - Social Sciences steph.elle First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-27-2010 08:32 PM

Summer School - Social Sciences

Old 02-07-2013 at 09:50 AM   #1
themacmaster

Liked: 0 Times

Summer School - Social Sciences
Would anyone be able to provide me with some insight on the following:

a) What kinds of social science courses are usually offered in summer school?
b) What is the workload like? (lots of readings/essays in comparison to regular school year)
c) Is it generally easier or harder than in summer school?
d) How many days per week are there classes for a course? (and for how many hours?)

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2013 at 10:27 AM   #2
darkstar

Liked: 47 Times

the courses available will change year by year but from my experience, they are generally (fairly useless) electives. I guess that depends on your program though. Stuff like first year econ, antro, poly sci and sociology are usually offered but anything 2nd year and up is a crap shoot.

The format is usually an essay, midterm and final or two essays and a final. I don't think I have ever had any quizzes or test but I did have a group project once. The workload is generally the same but you have less time to do it. The amount of reading is usually the same as a normal term. The only class I have ever taken in the summer that was a lighter load was Cults of North America (religious studies) since it was all based on movies we watched not readings. If it is taught by the normal prof, for example sco sci 2p03 with Dr. Voros, it will be the exact same class as the normal term.

I have always found summer classes harder to get a good mark in. There is a lot of work in a short period of time and its not uncommon to have a midterm or an essay due on like the 4th class. A lot of the profs are also sessional which can make it more difficult since no one knows anything about them and how they mark. For some of them it might even be there first time teaching.

Classes are twice a week for 3 hours each time. Usually mon and wed or tues and thurs. Most commonly they are 9am, 1 pm or 7pm

themacmaster says thanks to darkstar for this post.
Old 02-07-2013 at 11:47 AM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Someone posted a link to the tentative spring/summer 2013 timetable a few days ago, you can take a look there to see what is likely to be offered.

themacmaster says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 02-07-2013 at 12:01 PM   #4
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Someone posted a link to the tentative spring/summer 2013 timetable a few days ago, you can take a look there to see what is likely to be offered.
That's a good idea to know what courses will (but not 100%) be offered this spring/summer.

@OP:

Tentative 2013 Spring/Summer timetable

Credit goes to the OP here: Original thread

Last edited by jim1 : 02-07-2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: typo

themacmaster says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 04-21-2013 at 09:35 PM   #5
Dani

Liked: 0 Times

are full year courses available in summer school (soc 1a06)?
Old 04-21-2013 at 09:59 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani View Post
are full year courses available in summer school (soc 1a06)?
The timetable is up, check yourself.
Some full year courses are available in the summer, I'm not sure if soc 1A06 is one of them.