MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer school questions? Kuttan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 03-21-2012 11:53 AM
Summer School Questions ginaj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 03-24-2011 05:50 PM
Summer school questions. Strategy Academics 7 02-25-2011 12:28 AM

Summer sublet questions

Old 04-03-2013 at 04:44 PM   #1
sarah2874

Liked: 13 Times

Summer sublet questions
Hi everyone
I have a few questions in regards to summer sublets.
1. I haven't managed to find someone to sublet my room yet for over the summer. If I don't manage to find someone, I will still have to pay for utilities even though I will be living at home. Does this mean, because I have all of the expenses of living away from home, that I can claim to be living "away from home" during the summer on when OSAP applications open (despite the fact that I'm actually living at home)? It would seriously suck if I had the extra expense of 4 months rent but didn't receive any extra support.
2. If I manage to find someone (and I hope I do), will I have to count this as summer income, or is it just to cover costs?
Thanks for your help!
Old 04-03-2013 at 04:53 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah2874 View Post
Hi everyone
I have a few questions in regards to summer sublets.
1. I haven't managed to find someone to sublet my room yet for over the summer. If I don't manage to find someone, I will still have to pay for utilities even though I will be living at home. Does this mean, because I have all of the expenses of living away from home, that I can claim to be living "away from home" during the summer on when OSAP applications open (despite the fact that I'm actually living at home)? It would seriously suck if I had the extra expense of 4 months rent but didn't receive any extra support.
2. If I manage to find someone (and I hope I do), will I have to count this as summer income, or is it just to cover costs?
Thanks for your help!
1. I think you can say you're living away from home. They won't be able to prove otherwise, and you do have the costs associated with it.

2. If you want to include any house-associated costs over the summer on your application, then you should write the full costs of everything and then include the sublet rent as income, OR you could probably also not include the house costs AND not include the sublet rent as income.

Caveat: I have no legit source for this, that's just my best guess. If you want to be 100% sure, ask SFAS.

sarah2874 says thanks to starfish for this post.