MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Supplementary Application and Level 2 for Engineering Waseem Introduce Yourself 0 11-18-2016 09:43 PM
Engineering Level 2: Civil OSid First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 04-18-2011 07:00 PM
Supplementary application for health sci Katelyn999 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 11-17-2009 08:47 AM
Anyone going to Engineering Level 2 ????? endearing66 Academics 15 07-06-2009 05:59 AM
SOLAR Level 1 Engineering tungo89 Academics 8 07-02-2008 09:52 PM

Supplementary Application and Level 2 for Engineering

Old 11-18-2016 at 09:54 PM   #1
Waseem

Liked: 0 Times

Supplementary Application and Level 2 for Engineering
I am planning on applying for Engineering at McMaster (obviously). I recently learned that McMaster required a supplementary application for engineering. I just wanted to know what exactly I had to do. I heard that I had to make a video of myself answering questions. If that is true then I wanted to know what kind of questions they would ask. Details about it would be helpful.

I also heard that for engineering, first year is a common year. You have a choice of a specific type of engineering for level 2, which you can have a chance of getting into based on your academic performance. I want to get into mechanical engineering. I wanted to know what kind of marks I would need from first year. I also have a booklet from McMaster that says I can have a free choice for level 2 if I do well in high school. What kind of grades are they looking for exactly?

Thank you, I appreciate your time.
Old 11-19-2016 at 01:00 AM   #2
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

I don't know anymore than you about supplementary application, search engines/mcmaster's eng website would be your best friends online... or if you have a specific question find contact information (phone or email) for someone who could help you (Registrar's office, Eng office, etc.) again by searching or navigating the mac site.

If you get like 90+ (it was 90 a year or two ago, I'm not sure, but I think they're increasing it now) avg in high school and you don't just fail all your classes in first year, you can get into any program second year.

If you dont get free choice you can can into almost any program with a 75% avg (an 8 on the mcmaster 12pt grading scheme). Again searching eng second year cut off and you'll find something. But the number varies depending on the year. Electrical, Bio Med + Electrical, Mechatronic I think are generally more difficult to get into than others. Comp and Eng Phys are on the bottom end, pretty much apply and you're in. Everything else is between.

This is all for regular (non-management programs). With management, you need 6+ gpa (mcmaster grading scheme) and depending on competition a higher gpa than just the non-management cutoff for that program.
Old 11-20-2016 at 07:08 PM   #3
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
You will be required to pay a $40 registration fee after which you can begin the supplementary application process
McMaster never ceases to amaze me with its vast collection of money grabbing schemes.

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 11-29-2016 at 11:18 PM   #4
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

don't be afraid to call the office and ask them the very questions you are putting up on MacInsiders.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, plus those guys are being paid to answer your calls and questions. PUT THEM TO WORK!

http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/current/advising.html
From what I see, try emailing Jennifer Hamilton with your questions, or give her a call.

Additionally Justicebeaver is pretty spot on with his/her answer.