Bates Hall '07 lorend Bates Forum 92 06-19-2008 06:15 AM

Support Dean Bates

Old 04-02-2010 at 12:56 PM   #1
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Support Dean Bates
Hello all,

Once in a blue moon I see something that I actually consider important enough to create a thread for.

Dean Bates, of the DeGroote School of Business, has been under fire by the more "academically minded" members of the faculty, for the way he has run the school. In my personal opinion, Dean Bates has done more for this school than any academic ever could. He has brought DeGroote into the 21st century with his experience and commitment.

Read the article in the Globe and Mail here: http://www.theglobeandmail.c om/rep...rticle1519546/

If you support Dean Bates, become a fan of this Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Suppor...33814?ref=n f

It's really important that we support Dean Bates, and not let DeGroote be dragged back into the stone age by "academics". Students support him 100%, and I want to make sure he knows it.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2010 at 01:15 PM   #2
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

so he treats staff like shit?

but he is good to students?

why are you an apologist for this guy?

that fact that he has to be defended is worrisome, but I don't know the whole story anyways. the students should decide

Last edited by andrew22 : 04-02-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-02-2010 at 01:27 PM   #3
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I don't know too much about it, but from what I've heard the students really like him, but the other professors don't. What other faculty members thinks of the guys shouldn't really be relevant if he does good things for the students.

And a lot of profs do need that push to improve their courses.
Old 04-02-2010 at 01:33 PM   #4
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

(ugh nvm couldnt get a picture to work)

Last edited by andrew22 : 04-02-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-02-2010 at 03:28 PM   #5
sniderj
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
so he treats staff like shit?

but he is good to students?

why are you an apologist for this guy?

that fact that he has to be defended is worrisome, but I don't know the whole story anyways. the students should decide
He doesn't treat staff like shit. He just has this silly idea that a school of business should teach students about the business world, and not cater to overpaid, pompous academics just because they have tenure. These profs just want everything to remain the same so they can continue to do as little work as possible while drawing huge salaries.
Old 04-02-2010 at 03:42 PM   #6
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Dean Bates is a great individual and an asset to Mac. If he is no longer at Mac the b-school loses someone that they will have a hard time replacing.
Old 04-02-2010 at 04:04 PM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I don't know much on this story, and it's hard to get all the info from one article.

I think it's great if the students like him and he raised a lot of money for the school, but that doesn't excuse him from treating other faculty poorly. The article says some of the staff members are on medication for depression because of him - that's really, really bad. The university is a place that should support students and having a high profile is great. But it is also a place where people come to work every single day and they need to have a healthy work environment.

It's always hard to tell who's telling the truth and who's lying/exaggerating in these situations. But from the sound of this article, I'm not sure why we should be supporting him. Does anyone have any more articles on this situations? I'm sure there is more to the story than this article is telling.
Old 04-02-2010 at 04:11 PM   #8
sniderj
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I don't know much on this story, and it's hard to get all the info from one article.

I think it's great if the students like him and he raised a lot of money for the school, but that doesn't excuse him from treating other faculty poorly. The article says some of the staff members are on medication for depression because of him - that's really, really bad. The university is a place that should support students and having a high profile is great. But it is also a place where people come to work every single day and they need to have a healthy work environment.

It's always hard to tell who's telling the truth and who's lying/exaggerating in these situations. But from the sound of this article, I'm not sure why we should be supporting him. Does anyone have any more articles on this situations? I'm sure there is more to the story than this article is telling.
Yeah, I could say I'm on anti-depressants because of certain professors. That doesn't make it true. Or even if I AM taking them, it doesn't mean the professor is actually the reason.

I honestly don't fully understand the faculty's issues with him, but I know that he has done great things for the school, and I support him 100%.
Old 04-02-2010 at 04:23 PM   #9
Kathy2
Elite Member

I don't know, I don't think I can give my support to a professor without knowing all the facts. The article said 80% of the faculty didn't want him to come back. There has to be some serious issues going on here.
Old 04-02-2010 at 04:28 PM   #10
sniderj
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I don't know, I don't think I can give my support to a professor without knowing all the facts. The article said 80% of the faculty didn't want him to come back. There has to be some serious issues going on here.
That's fantastic. Don't give your support. I'm putting it out there as an option.
Old 04-02-2010 at 04:33 PM   #11
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
That's fantastic. Don't give your support. I'm putting it out there as an option.
And I'm just looking for more information before making up my mind..

In my opinion, you're probably not going to gather much support by using that article. It only lists that bad things he has done and none of the good things.
Old 04-02-2010 at 04:46 PM   #12
james2255
Faculty Society VP

Liked: 19 Times

One of the underlying issues is the idea of Paul not having a PH. D. Many faculty feel that Paul is not "qualified" to run the business school.

Check out the commerce society's media release about the issue: http://www.degrootecommerce. ca

I uploaded the 21 Page audit to megaupload. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7XWCKO9A

It's best for everyone to read up and be informed.

--
James Steels
Chief Financial Officer
DeGroote Commerce Society

SRA Commerce
McMaster Students Union Inc.

.:callen:., Marlowe, McIntyre, sniderj all say thanks to james2255 for this post.
Old 04-02-2010 at 05:07 PM   #13
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

The snobbery of academia is killing our educations. Research is placed on such a high premium that proper education is a rarity. MUFA and most tenured professors care more for their research grants than about students.

Dean Bates came to the School of Business to serve students. In the HRES report it talks about tenured Profs feeling that their research is undervalued, and how the Business school is run as if students are the customers.

Hell yes. I want to be treated like a customer, and not some lucky sap who is privileged enough to be around someone with the Ph.D.

sniderj likes this.
Old 04-02-2010 at 05:30 PM   #14
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote from the article "Problems within the business school, named after retired Canadian businessman Michael DeGroote, aren't new. The report said there had been a 20-year history of discord at the school, with deans being pitted against faculty members. Every dean ever except Mr. Bates served only one term and left in part because of the infighting, the report said."

I think this is a pretty clear indication that the problem isn't the dean, but faculty memebers who want to control the business school. If you have such a high turnover rate because of problems between people, that to me says the people creating the problems are the faculty memebers who haven't left. Also, Im surprised by what Rose said. But Rose is just an over educated snob, so I don't really take his comments seriously.
Students seem to really like Bates, and he has done some good things for the business school. I would look at the faculty members, I think they're causing the problems.

anon491, arathbon, lorend, sniderj like this.
Old 04-02-2010 at 05:38 PM   #15
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

^^ WORD

A lot of people are apprehensive to make judgement, but for me, having seen the attitudes of a lot of Academics, it's pretty cut and dry.