Bates Hall '07 lorend Bates Forum 92 06-19-2008 06:15 AM

Support Dean Bates

Old 04-03-2010 at 12:13 PM   #16
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
And I'm just looking for more information before making up my mind..

In my opinion, you're probably not going to gather much support by using that article. It only lists that bad things he has done and none of the good things.
I'm not asking people to support everything he does. I'm asking those people who feel that he has been a positive influence on DeGroote, and DeGroote students, to support him. I couldn't care less whether the professors who have never had a real job have a warm fuzzy feeling about their "research". I care about how Dean Bates has changed DeGroote for the better in terms of awareness, branding, and student satisfaction.

I get that you don't support him, and that's just fine by me. But the group got 480 members in 24 hours, so I think you're wrong about how much support is forthcoming.
Old 04-03-2010 at 01:10 PM   #17
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I never said I didn't support him, I said I am looking for more information first. One article doesn't tell me much.
I'm not sure why you seem defensive. I just think it would be helpful if you used another article but that one makes him sound really, really bad.
Old 04-05-2010 at 08:09 AM   #18
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I'd rather be treated as a customer than as a second, annoying thought by professors/faculty who only give a shit about their research and not educating their students.

And in this situation, I'd much rather be treated like a customer. If they get rid of Dean Bates, they'll be doing it because the faculty is putting pressure on them. They won't give 2 shits about what the students think. And they should because I imagine quite a shit storm going down if Dean Bates is dismissed/fired/etc.

Dean Bates is the MAN.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 04-05-2010 at 10:07 AM   #19
Bobble

Liked: 33 Times

Favorite thing about this thread:
No one seems to have any concrete knowledge of what the professors' beefs are, yet many still support the Dean.

I'm not even saying one side is right or wrong, I'm just saying it's a bit odd to throw your support blindly behind one side without knowing the details of what the conflict is about, no?

Critical thinking fail.

DannyV, Mahratta like this.
Old 04-19-2010 at 09:56 PM   #20
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

How's this going?

should future students avoid McMaster Commerce??? ; )
Old 04-19-2010 at 10:00 PM   #21
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Favorite thing about this thread:
No one seems to have any concrete knowledge of what the professors' beefs are, yet many still support the Dean.

I'm not even saying one side is right or wrong, I'm just saying it's a bit odd to throw your support blindly behind one side without knowing the details of what the conflict is about, no?

Critical thinking fail.
What I know is that many positive things have happened during Dean Bates' time with DeGroote, and he has put a lot of himself into it. I also have a strong personal distaste for academic based professors in a faculty such as business. It is far more useful to learn from someone who has actually worked in the real world, than someone who has never left university.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
How's this going?

should future students avoid McMaster Commerce??? ; )
I haven't heard anything additional. There hasn't been much news coverage since the initial flurry.
Old 04-20-2010 at 09:34 AM   #22
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

There's a more comprehensive list of articles in our news posting here:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2711 7

sniderj says thanks to Chad for this post.