MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intro to Politics 1G06 Goce 1st Year Course Reviews 8 06-22-2015 11:01 AM
Swiss Chalet Coupons Chad Student Deals & Discounts 0 06-30-2010 10:45 AM
McMaster Humanities Society Wine and Cheese! laurastevens MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-03-2010 09:51 PM
Humanities Wine and Cheese Chad General Discussion 1 02-14-2008 06:24 PM

On Swiss Politics and, more importantly, Swiss Cheese

Old 07-10-2009 at 12:24 AM   #1
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

On Swiss Politics and, more importantly, Swiss Cheese
So we were talking about Swiss Politics on another thread and people went all over the place talking about a million different things, so everyone was asked to start different threads about the side topics!

So here's the Swiss Politics and cheese side topic!

Post all your favorite quotes from members of the Swiss Federal Council, or memories of the 2007 Election, or what those crazy Social Democrats are getting up to now!

And of course, for beginners: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_politics

And cheese. Lots and lots of cheese. Cheese from the lactation of Swiss four footed mammals. Yummm!

temara.brown says thanks to c.erl for this post.

florencem. likes this.
Old 07-10-2009 at 12:27 AM   #2
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

This is amazing. I'm going to switzerland for a year so let's discuss! hahahahaa

I'll be in Bern.. nice place. they've got this fancy clock thinger.

Not so much a fan of the cheese but THE CHOCOLATE. now omg - that is something to talk about.

and every store you go into sells handmade coo-coo clocks.

c.erl likes this.
Old 07-10-2009 at 12:29 AM   #3
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

You're so lucky Temara!

I'm going to try to get an internship at UBS in Switzerland this year, because Switzerland rocks!!

I wasn't really aware of their politics, but one thing that definitely rocked was their lack of taxation.
Old 07-10-2009 at 12:31 AM   #4
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Cheese and chocolate. Two evils to lactose intolerants and those with slow metabolisms. Swiss, oh you tempt me so. ;_;
Old 07-10-2009 at 12:33 AM   #5
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

I'm excited! you can totally do the au pair thing too. I posted information about it here.

I'm not totally sure if I'm going... everything is set for me to go but I'm not sure if it's best for me.. need to save money.. I'd be spending too much travelling if I went now. :(
Old 07-10-2009 at 12:33 AM   #6
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

If I could double like that post, I would! Wow! Bern! Sooooooo lucky!

And the chocolate! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Nothing like real European chocolate to distract me from the blandness of North American chocolate. I can't decide between Toblerone and Lindt as my favorites!
Old 07-10-2009 at 12:39 AM   #7
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

The chocolate is amazing! I love the cheese too haha
Old 07-10-2009 at 12:54 AM   #8
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.erl View Post
If I could double like that post, I would! Wow! Bern! Sooooooo lucky!

And the chocolate! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Nothing like real European chocolate to distract me from the blandness of North American chocolate. I can't decide between Toblerone and Lindt as my favorites!
No need to decide; eat both!
Old 07-10-2009 at 01:18 AM   #9
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

I like this kind that comes in a blue wrapper with a picture of a mountain on it. I have no idea what it's called but I bought this when I was in switzerland and now I find it in the international aisle of my grocery store... it's milk chocolate and hazelnut and OM NOM NOM AMAZING! It's like a hershey bar in that you break off the squares and has a little swiss flag on the package.. if you find this, but it. buy many. so amazing. lindt or toblerone do not compare.
Old 07-10-2009 at 01:28 AM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
I like this kind that comes in a blue wrapper with a picture of a mountain on it. I have no idea what it's called but I bought this when I was in switzerland and now I find it in the international aisle of my grocery store... it's milk chocolate and hazelnut and OM NOM NOM AMAZING! It's like a hershey bar in that you break off the squares and has a little swiss flag on the package.. if you find this, but it. buy many. so amazing. lindt or toblerone do not compare.
*drools* Swiss Chocolate Hazelnut *drools even more*

I know exactly what you are talking about. I don't remember the brand though. But I remember the chocolate. It's soooooooooooooo good.
Old 07-10-2009 at 01:31 AM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Ahh all this talk about chocolate and cheese is making me hungry =P.. Mmmm soo goodd. Ooohh Temara that should be sooo much fun!
Old 07-10-2009 at 01:54 AM   #12
akhtaa2

Liked: 5 Times

Hey Temara a little piece of advice if you end up going to switzerland that I learnt from my uncle when I go there.

Those little chocolate shops that have the best chocolate, love tourists... a lot. Go in and say you are a tourist, literally say you are overwhelmed because you are a tourist and know nothing about chocolate - and they will essentially give you a sample of anything you ask for - even if it ends in you sampling the whole shop. It actually works.

temara.brown says thanks to akhtaa2 for this post.

jhan523, Maegs, sinthusized, _Luu_ like this.
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:07 AM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhtaa2 View Post
Hey Temara a little piece of advice if you end up going to switzerland that I learnt from my uncle when I go there.

Those little chocolate shops that have the best chocolate, love tourists... a lot. Go in and say you are a tourist, literally say you are overwhelmed because you are a tourist and know nothing about chocolate - and they will essentially give you a sample of anything you ask for - even if it ends in you sampling the whole shop. It actually works.
Lol, good tip!
Old 07-10-2009 at 09:59 AM   #14
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

I went to Switzerland seven years ago, with relatives in Zurich. Paradise.

Although expensive. :(
Old 07-10-2009 at 10:20 AM   #15
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Luu_ View Post
I went to Switzerland seven years ago, with relatives in Zurich. Paradise.

Although expensive. :(
Yeah, Zurich and Bern are both in the top 5 most expensive cities in the world to live in.