MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COMP SCI 1TA3 vs COMP SCI 1MA3 ShockValue Academics 0 06-08-2012 08:08 PM
Electrical and biomedical eng weizz Academics 5 08-16-2011 08:51 PM
Tablet for Electrical/Bio Eng? PHLN First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 04-03-2010 08:23 PM
Comp Sci/Comp Eng/Soft Eng stevennevets Academics 9 10-19-2009 08:54 PM
Electrical & Biomedical Engineering nytrogyn First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 03-21-2009 10:49 AM

switch from comp eng to electrical eng

Old 06-10-2012 at 12:55 AM   #1
Kevinabrahak

Liked: 8 Times

switch from comp eng to electrical eng
how could i possibly move from computer engineering to electrical if I decide to do so by the end of my 2nd year. Do i have to take the second math course in addition to few other courses sometime during next summer if i do decide to switch ?

i'm really concerned at the moment. I've looked at a lot replies and read a lot of reviews regarding the two fields and it seems not many people are interested in computer engineering. not sure why.
one of the reason that comes to mind after looking at recent stats is that job offers are really high for electrical engineers in North America alone!! but that cant be the only reason.

i will be doing comp for 2nd year regardless !! but would really appreciate if anyone could add in their thoughts

thanks
Old 06-10-2012 at 01:33 AM   #2
jewfro9000

Liked: Liked 19 Times

you'll need to do the one math course (probably the hardest course ive taken tbh..). I cant think of anything else different about second year.. the good thing is, comp eng does 2dp4 in second year, while elec eng does it in third year so if you decided to switch, you'll already have completed 2dp4 for 3rd year!
Old 06-10-2012 at 07:13 AM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

There's a lot of overlap in 2nd year, regardless of stream.. pure elec, bio, bio and chem, elec and comp, etc are ones that have a lot in common.

I wouldn't say that elec is more applicable than comp eng, they're different focuses, and will have different jobs to search for, regardless. If anything, you'll have better luck finding a job post grad with comp eng than elec eng, purely because of the fact that so many elec engs end up getting employed doing some sort of programming (that is, if they don't fail at finding a job and work at wendy's ). Do NOT switch streams because of job prospects, switch because you enjoy the field.

mc_kumar likes this.
Old 06-10-2012 at 02:14 PM   #4
Kevinabrahak

thanks.

Also, does Mcmaster offer Computer Hardware engineering program for 3rd year. I've not really heard of it however, i do know that UofT and few other universities do offer hardware engineering by itself different from software engineering to students. Not sure how it works at Mcmaster?
Old 06-10-2012 at 02:32 PM   #5
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Yes. That course would be called COE3DQ5, taught by Nicola Nicolici, who's an amazing prof. You'll be working with FPGAs in your lab, which are basically programmable to emulate digital circuits. The course content isn't difficult to understand, but you'll have to put a lot of time and effort into completing your lab assignments. That being said, it's a really rewarding class and you'll be learning how to make computer hardware. To give you an idea what you'll be making, your final project in that class is to create a standalone image decompresser capable of reading a custom image file format (provided by the prof) and displaying its contents through VGA onto a monitor.
Old 06-10-2012 at 02:33 PM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I switched from comp to elec after my first term of 3rd year.. you jsut have to make up 2zz3 if you switch after second year.. and as mentioned above, you will have completed 2dp4 which elec eng take in 3rd year.

Also, dont guaruntee that you will get transfered, I know some people who tried and got rejected, so I would go talk to jeanne hopkins asap.
Old 06-10-2012 at 03:40 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinabrahak View Post
thanks.

Also, does Mcmaster offer Computer Hardware engineering program for 3rd year. I've not really heard of it however, i do know that UofT and few other universities do offer hardware engineering by itself different from software engineering to students. Not sure how it works at Mcmaster?
I don't believe hardware engineering is listed as a program in the course calendar. If you're interested in it, you could take the course Freija mentions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freija View Post
Yes. That course would be called COE3DQ5, taught by Nicola Nicolici, who's an amazing prof. You'll be working with FPGAs in your lab, which are basically programmable to emulate digital circuits. The course content isn't difficult to understand, but you'll have to put a lot of time and effort into completing your lab assignments. That being said, it's a really rewarding class and you'll be learning how to make computer hardware. To give you an idea what you'll be making, your final project in that class is to create a standalone image decompresser capable of reading a custom image file format (provided by the prof) and displaying its contents through VGA onto a monitor.
Old 06-10-2012 at 04:36 PM   #8
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Never switch a program because of job aspects, you will regret it. If you enjoy computer engineering, the job will naturally come to you and money will follow. There is a lot of hardware companies in Canada, to name a few favorites, quadcom, broadcom, amd and endless possibilities in states.

Old 06-10-2012 at 06:32 PM   #9
Kevinabrahak

As you said, the course COE3DQ5, taught by Nicola Nicolici, would be taught during my 3rd year. Is this just one course that i must take along with the other mentioned courses for level 3 Computer Engineering in the course calender? how does that work ?
Old 06-10-2012 at 06:36 PM   #10
Kevinabrahak

Your right blackdragon but wouldn't it make sense to speak to Jeanne before the start of my 3rd year as i plan to do computer eng for 2nd year, however, if i do decide to switch, it would be at the start of my 3rd year.
Old 06-10-2012 at 06:47 PM   #11
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Quote:
As you said, the course COE3DQ5, taught by Nicola Nicolici, would be taught during my 3rd year. Is this just one course that i must take along with the other mentioned courses for level 3 Computer Engineering in the course calender? how does that work ?
It's a mandatory class for Comp engies. Technical elective for Electrical engies.
Old 06-10-2012 at 09:00 PM   #12
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Your right blackdragon but wouldn't it make sense to speak to Jeanne before the start of my 3rd year as i plan to do computer eng for 2nd year, however, if i do decide to switch, it would be at the start of my 3rd year.
I dont understand the purpose in that. The only real difference happens in 3rd year, with 3DQ5.. so if you plan to change, do it ASAP.
Old 06-10-2012 at 11:09 PM   #13
Kevinabrahak

you have a point there BD, but as of now, i guess i'll stick with Comp Eng not for any major reason, its just that i've never really thought about electrical engineering. It was always computer and im comfortable with that.

lastly, would you suggest that i purchase textbooks for the programming courses as i dont consider myself a great 'programmer' although i've done quite a bit . I asked the same question on FB, the replies were quite inconsistent and distinct. essentially if i could get an idea of how you would rate the programming courses its terms amount of time required and difficulty for each individual programming course.

thanks guys, really appreciate your responses.
Old 06-10-2012 at 11:46 PM   #14
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

If you do get the switch approved, just to make it clear getting back on scedule is easy, you will already have 2dp4(elec take it in third). You can take math 2zz3 during the summer or that free space during 3rd.
Old 06-11-2012 at 07:24 AM   #15
jewfro9000

Liked: Liked 19 Times

the programming courses arent that bad actually. I only ever programmed for the assignments (did no practice.. oops) and did alright. If you practice, 2sh4 will be a piece of cake. 2si4 is even easier because you already should know how to do everything that youll be asked to do. Do your work for 2sh4 though, its probably the course i learned the most in so far, despite not liking it that much