MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COMP SCI 1TA3 vs COMP SCI 1MA3 ShockValue Academics 0 06-08-2012 08:08 PM
Electrical and biomedical eng weizz Academics 5 08-16-2011 08:51 PM
Tablet for Electrical/Bio Eng? PHLN First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 04-03-2010 08:23 PM
Comp Sci/Comp Eng/Soft Eng stevennevets Academics 9 10-19-2009 08:54 PM
Electrical & Biomedical Engineering nytrogyn First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 03-21-2009 10:49 AM

switch from comp eng to electrical eng

Old 06-11-2012 at 09:35 AM   #16
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinabrahak View Post
you have a point there BD, but as of now, i guess i'll stick with Comp Eng not for any major reason, its just that i've never really thought about electrical engineering. It was always computer and im comfortable with that.

lastly, would you suggest that i purchase textbooks for the programming courses as i dont consider myself a great 'programmer' although i've done quite a bit . I asked the same question on FB, the replies were quite inconsistent and distinct. essentially if i could get an idea of how you would rate the programming courses its terms amount of time required and difficulty for each individual programming course.

thanks guys, really appreciate your responses.
Makes sense - I was the same. Only thought of comp and never really considered electrical.

But to be honest, if I didnt switch to electrical, I wouldnt have landed the job I have right now, and I wouldnt have found my new found passion for electronics and semiconductors!

Try to jump ahead, take a look at material from 3DQ5, 4DS4, 3DR4... these are courses computer engineers take which are fundamental for that field... if you like what you see, you will love the remaining 3 years of comp eng
Old 06-11-2012 at 12:50 PM   #17
Kevinabrahak

Liked: 8 Times

thanks. As far as buying textbooks, what do you recommend. I could buy used texts and prepare ahead of the term i.e during summer OR i could wait and catch up during term I . It depends on how time consuming the course is to grasp for beginners ('me' for instance) .

I asked a few friends on FB, some said NOT to purchase them until the start of the term and others vice-versa. I'm a bit confused.
Old 06-11-2012 at 12:56 PM   #18
Kevinabrahak

thanks BD, i'll definitely try to look over the course material for 3rd year so i could be sure whether to switch or not.

from what i understand, comp engineers have 3DQ5 as a mandatory course, however, elec engineers have it as a technical elective for 3rd year. I've also understood its more like a hardware programming course that many have had problems with. Correct me if im wrong !!
Old 06-11-2012 at 03:00 PM   #19
jewfro9000

Liked: Liked 19 Times

if you're that worried about the programming, just download Netbeans (the compiler you'll most likely be using) and find some online tutorials for C and java. I was a complete programming noob walking into that class and now im fairly confident that i could do/figure out the programming for nearly any electrical/ computer project that i would need programming for

The textbooks for the programming classes are not really necessary.. especially not now!
Old 06-13-2012 at 04:04 PM   #20
Kevinabrahak

thanks.

hows Comp Eng 3DQ5. I know its more like a hardware programming course for level 3 and Comp eng is all about that but i've also heard its one of the more harder courses during 3rd year for comp engineering as a result of which many have switched programmes without much of hesitation !!
Old 06-13-2012 at 05:02 PM   #21
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
thanks.

hows Comp Eng 3DQ5. I know its more like a hardware programming course for level 3 and Comp eng is all about that but i've also heard its one of the more harder courses during 3rd year for comp engineering as a result of which many have switched programmes without much of hesitation !!
It's not so much that it's a lot harder, it just requires a different way of thinking compared to any of the programming courses that you will have taken before.

It is a lot more work that your other courses however.
Old 06-13-2012 at 05:24 PM   #22
Kevinabrahak

are you suggesting that, its more of logical based programming, something that requires a lot of thinking out of the box, than just simple programming or more time consuming but relatively simple programming !! For example, C and Java are relatively easier to pick up for beginners ('me' for instance) as i have started a bit of both and its not a lot of trouble.

Also, does the course have anything to do with designing or is it all hardware programming ?? I remember learning the AUTO CAD during my first year. Never really used it after. that was some great stuff. I'm not hoping for anything like that in computer hardware class.
Old 06-16-2012 at 12:14 PM   #23
islytt

Liked: 5 Times

I want to transfer from computer engineering to electrical engineering as well. Does someone have any ideas how to write the application letter? What will be the best reason for transfer? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-16-2012 at 04:29 PM   #24
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Well what is your actual reason?
Old 06-16-2012 at 04:31 PM   #25
islytt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
Well what is your actual reason?
I prefer electrical engineering courses. I am trying to find out more reasons to get my switch application letter approved. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2012 at 04:51 PM   #26
Kevinabrahak

if I may ask, how were the programming courses ?? I am moving to 2nd year computer engineering . Was it (programming courses) in any way a factor for your switch to electrical also ??
Old 06-16-2012 at 05:23 PM   #27
islytt

Quote:
if I may ask, how were the programming courses ?? I am moving to 2nd year computer engineering . Was it (programming courses) in any way a factor for your switch to electrical also ??
yeah, I will say yes.