MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Admitted into Social Science and told i wont be able to switch into a Science program MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 05-23-2010 03:47 PM
Admitted to Social Sciences I, will i be able to switch into the BIOPSYCH program? MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 04-27-2010 03:24 PM
Social Science Level II ageless_12 General Discussion 2 03-05-2009 03:08 PM

switch from social sciences to science level 2

Old 06-28-2010 at 02:42 PM   #1
bubblegum3
Account Disabled by User

Liked: Liked 2 Times

switch from social sciences to science level 2
hi,
i missed science level 1 by less than a percent when the admission offers were made, but now my final mark meets the requirements. Do you think they could review my application again and hopefully let me in?
My only other option which i picked was to accept social sciences level 1 with hopes to transfer into sciences asap. can someone help me because i am REAALLLY confused
where do i find the pre requisites? how do i know if they are only available to the faculty of science or everyone? how can i get some pre reqs waived?

thanks
Old 06-28-2010 at 03:32 PM   #2
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Its possible that they would look at your marks and let you in, but only an academic advisor could tell you for sure. This is a busy time of they year if you email them, so if at all possible you should go to drop in counselling in BSB (at Mac). If not, phoning is the next best option.

If you can't get in you still have a chance of being able to go into a science program second year, just make sure you take the right pre-reqs for the program you're interested in. The departments are here, and the programs in that department are accessible by clicking the links.
http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/main/departments.html

In general, you'll need:
Bio 1M03
Bio 1A03
Chem 1A03
Chem 1AA3
Psych 1X03
Physics 1L03 or 1B03
Calc 1A03 or 1LS3

Some of them you won't have problems getting into, some you might need to get a waiver, and some you'll need to take during the summer. Again, an academic advisor will help you more.

Last edited by Marlowe : 06-28-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-29-2010 at 12:25 AM   #3
bubblegum3
Account Disabled by User

Liked: Liked 2 Times

thank you! but i keep trying to call the science department and i get
'' we are with a student, and our voice mail is currently full, try again later, goodbye "
word for word. it is so frustrating..
social sciences advisors tell me to talk to science advisors and they dont answer!!! i am an out of province student so i cannot go in person.
im really frustrated because course selection is tomorrow :(
Old 06-30-2010 at 11:20 AM   #4
bhatoai

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegum3 View Post
thank you! but i keep trying to call the science department and i get
'' we are with a student, and our voice mail is currently full, try again later, goodbye "
word for word. it is so frustrating..
social sciences advisors tell me to talk to science advisors and they dont answer!!! i am an out of province student so i cannot go in person.
im really frustrated because course selection is tomorrow :(

Hey I had the same problem, while on SOLAR I was unable to put in BIO 1A03, CHEM 1A03, thus CHEM 1AA3, PHYSICS1B03 since i was not registered in sciences program. so i made some calls to BIO, CHEM, and PHYSICS department. Bio department said I will not get a BIO 1A03 since i am in social sciences. but CHEM 1A03, CHEM 1AA3, PHYSICS 1B03 said if they have seats available they will get us in.!! so hopefully it works out for both of us.
Old 06-30-2010 at 12:23 PM   #5
TheCheese

Liked: 19 Times

I tried to do the same thing last year, but I only realized I wanted to switch in second semester. Don't make my mistake, if you're gonna try and switch to science then try and take as many of the pre-reqs as possible in your first year.

If you want to get into Physics or Chem, go to the class even if you don't have a seat so you don't get behind, and check SOLAR obsessively until a spot opens up. Thats what I did for Physics 1B03 and I got in after a couple of weeks. For Physics and Chem especially, if you wait a little bit spots ALWAYS open up because there are always people who decide the class is too difficult and drop it.

As for Biology 1A03... good luck getting into that one. I've been fighting for a month to get them to open a spot for me and no luck so far. They don't care if you need it for your major, if you're not in Science you might as well be chopped liver.

Last edited by TheCheese : 06-30-2010 at 12:28 PM.