MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I know which engineering stream is right for me? Ahmed.N First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 03-10-2013 11:52 PM
What's the best engineering stream at Mac? cypher First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 31 04-02-2011 03:40 PM
Which Engineering Stream will better prepare me PHLN First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 03-17-2011 09:49 PM
Choosing an Engineering Stream DarthFuzzy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 03-17-2011 04:24 PM

Switching from engineering regular stream to co-op

Old 08-19-2013 at 04:25 PM   #1
sodiekooner

Liked: 0 Times

Switching from engineering regular stream to co-op
Hi,

I was accepted for the regular Engineering I program (even though I swear I applied to OUAC for co-op, I guess I derped). Is there any way to switch to co-op?
Old 08-19-2013 at 04:52 PM   #2
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

It's basically a buy-in. Take a class, write a cheque, and you'e in Co-op!
Old 08-19-2013 at 04:57 PM   #3
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

there is no "coop" program at mac. Its a pay-for-service thing and if you get 12 months of coop experience it goes on your degree.
Old 08-19-2013 at 05:32 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

You can join coop whenever you like. You just pay for the "services" and the eligibility to take the coop course. Cost is like ~100/year so unless you are doing coop every summer don't bother. Also you are just paying for the "coop" word on your degree. You can still do coop and put it on your resume it's just the school won't recognize you did it.

I believe you can also opt out of it. They try to dissuade you and I think you can't re-enter if you opt out.
Old 08-19-2013 at 06:42 PM   #5
sodiekooner

So there's no difference between someone accepted for regular Engineering I and Engineering I Co-op? That's ..confusing. I tried using SOLAR to enroll in the 1EE0 course, but it said I didn't have the academic requisites for the course. Is there an extra step I have to take to get in?
Old 08-19-2013 at 07:10 PM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

You need to be on the coop stream to do it. Also you register through oscarplus first before on solar, this is the one exception to course registration
Old 08-19-2013 at 09:06 PM   #7
sodiekooner

Ah, makes sense.

I did a bit of research and found this form: http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/eccs/docu...gree ment.pdf

Would this be what I need to send in to get into co-op?
Old 08-19-2013 at 09:12 PM   #8
BenDover
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Screw co-op, find your own job in the summers, and save yourself the annual fee. Having co-op on your degree doesnt mean shit. "work experience" outside of co-op in an eng summer job or internship is the exact same thing as a co-op, except you dont have to write a report on your placements when you arent in co-op

sodiekooner says thanks to BenDover for this post.
Old 08-19-2013 at 09:51 PM   #9
sodiekooner

That makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. Can you use oscarplus to help you find relevant summer jobs outside of co-op? That's kinda the only reason I'd want it, but the fees do make it seem less desirable. Thanks for the input!
Old 08-19-2013 at 10:21 PM   #10
RSK1

Liked: 10 Times

You can't access the engineering specific job posts unless you've completed the 1EE0 course and are registered in co-op; however, you obviously can do your own research and apply on your own to the specific companies you want. Just keep in mind that a lot of major companies do work with the university's co-op program because they do get a tax credit for paying you usually 25%, so why pay you for example $10000 for a summer term when they can pay a student from the same program for only $7500. Unless you have your own private connections to guarantee you a summer job, might be worth going into co-op.
Old 08-20-2013 at 07:03 AM   #11
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
Screw co-op, find your own job in the summers, and save yourself the annual fee. Having co-op on your degree doesnt mean shit. "work experience" outside of co-op in an eng summer job or internship is the exact same thing as a co-op, except you dont have to write a report on your placements when you arent in co-op
Except for the fact that companies like hiring co-op students through their universities to get a nice tax credit.
Old 08-20-2013 at 07:08 AM   #12
BenDover
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Except for the fact that companies like hiring co-op students through their universities to get a nice tax credit.
Agreed that is a nice incentive for the company, i just saw the incentive of not paying 100+ dollars per year and still getting my own engineering coop with major firms to be more beneficial for myself
Old 08-20-2013 at 07:14 AM   #13
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
Agreed that is a nice incentive for the company, i just saw the incentive of not paying 100+ dollars per year and still getting my own engineering coop with major firms to be more beneficial for myself
Well yes, but we all know that the company will position themselves in a more favorable position. Luckily enough, my company has reimbursed me on my co-op fees.