MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
switching programs, same faculty stephanemone First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-31-2010 10:33 AM
Switching programs from one faculty to another before first year. amare First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 06-22-2010 12:57 PM
Advice Needed: Switching faculties J-Met Academics 13 11-24-2009 03:32 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part Six: The Faculty of Health Sciences saukalra Faculty & Program Series 6 09-07-2009 10:56 PM

Switching my faculty...need just a little advice.

Old 11-11-2010 at 07:57 AM   #1
tamititus

Liked: 1 Time

Switching my faculty...need just a little advice.
So here's the deal: I'm in first year Life Science and I want to get into Nursing.
I've spoken to the Nursing faculty, two academic advisers on multiple occasions, the office or registrar, a career counselor and OUAC. I'm very sure of my decision to switch in; certainty is not necessarily the issue.

The issue is with OUAC. I was told by Nursing that if i want acceptance based on my high school grades, I need to terminate my courses now and reapply with an OUAC 105 application. Basically, I'm dropping out of school for the next 9 months. I will still have a university record although it will just say canceled (I'm making the move before the termination deadline to avoid any penalties...in other words, I'm canceling today). I'm just worried about reapplying with the OUAC 105 because when I called OUAC they said that I should call the registrar to ask if I could just do an "intra-university transfer" since I'm already registered. I explained my situation that I want to admission to be based on high school grades but I'm not sure OUAC really understood my situation. So, I phoned registrar...and the same type of situation resulted. They told me to speak to an academic adviser about it. So, I feel like I'm being bounced back and forth between groups of people who just don't know. Nursing did tell me twice however that OUAC 105 is the way to go so I think ultimately, that's what I'm going to do....I just thought it was best to get a second opinion is all.

Anyway, I suppose this is my long-winded way of asking if anyone has done what I'm doing before. I'm so anxious about this...I just want to get it right!!

Last edited by tamititus : 11-11-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-11-2010 at 06:06 PM   #2
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

There's an accelerated Nursing degree you can switch into, as another option. User name A.Marlowe (or something like that) did this very recently. Try PMing him.
Old 11-11-2010 at 06:51 PM   #3
drhorrible

Liked: 98 Times

For the accelerated program, you need to have done at least 2 years of university. Since you're still in first year right now, you will need to find another way to transfer into Nursing. (I'm in Accelerated Nursing)

What are your concerns with applying through OUAC 105? Are you concerned about not being able to register with OUAC 105 or that you won't be able to get into the faculty through it? If Nursing has told you twice that you should go through OUAC 105 and drop your courses now, I think your best bet is to do that. They are the most familiar with acceptance into their faculty.

Good luck and hope to see you in Nursing next year!
Old 11-12-2010 at 12:59 PM   #4
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

A.Marlowe is my older name, I simplified it a while back

I also entered nursing through the accelerated program, not through the OUAC 105 thing. Unfortunately I don't know too much about doing that, and it seems like I'm a bit late if you were planning on cancelling your courses.

However, what I remember is that Mac takes a very limited number of people into Nursing who have previous university experience (10 people into the regular stream, and approximately 30-40 people into the accelerated program). Make sure that by doing this you would be eligible to apply along with the other high school students rather than with the people trying for one of those 10 spots. Otherwise I might recommend trying to get through your first two years of Science and aiming for the accelerated program.

If you will be competing with the other high school students, you might as well try for that. I guess talking to an academic adviser for nursing would be the best bet- just make sure you specifically ask about that.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Marlowe : 11-12-2010 at 01:01 PM.

tamititus says thanks to Marlowe for this post.
Old 11-12-2010 at 01:32 PM   #5
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
A.Marlowe is my older name, I simplified it a while back

I also entered nursing through the accelerated program, not through the OUAC 105 thing. Unfortunately I don't know too much about doing that, and it seems like I'm a bit late if you were planning on cancelling your courses.

However, what I remember is that Mac takes a very limited number of people into Nursing who have previous university experience (10 people into the regular stream, and approximately 30-40 people into the accelerated program). Make sure that by doing this you would be eligible to apply along with the other high school students rather than with the people trying for one of those 10 spots. Otherwise I might recommend trying to get through your first two years of Science and aiming for the accelerated program.

If you will be competing with the other high school students, you might as well try for that. I guess talking to an academic adviser for nursing would be the best bet- just make sure you specifically ask about that.

Best of luck!
A guy aspiring to be a nurse! someones a flaming bundle of sticks
Old 11-12-2010 at 01:38 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
Or you could not be a douchebag..

Andrew is a great guy, fck off!

Alchemist11, Marlowe, REPLEKIA/., ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to RyanC for this post.

Old 11-12-2010 at 01:42 PM   #7
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Or you could not be a douchebag..

Andrew is a great guy, fck off!
now when you say andrews a great guy........
Old 11-14-2010 at 05:05 PM   #8
tamititus

See, I am able to reapply with my high school grades through OUAC. I'm just scared half to death that I might somehow be competing for the 10 spots or something. But that doesn't make sense because I terminated before penalty and before any marks were placed on my university record. All that my university record says as of now is 'canceled'. The 10 spots are for students who have marks on their university records to compete over...whereas I do not...so how can I be put into this pile of applicants? I don't know but I worry none the less. Oooh, this whole situation gives me such a queasy feeling. :( I hate all this uncertainty!!

I wonder if I will be able to schedule an appointment with an nursing academic adviser...because I'm technically not really even attending McMaster at this moment. I believe my student number and mac id and everything is still valid but I don't know if they would really consider me a student.
What a mess, eh? :(

EDIT: I've decided there isn't any harm in trying. I'm going to call the faculty and see what I an arrange. I just need to talk to someone who can give me definitive answers just so I can shake these feelings that aren't really all that rational.

Last edited by tamititus : 11-14-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-14-2010 at 05:09 PM   #9
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post

12char.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 11-14-2010
maclover
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-14-2010
maclover
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-14-2010 at 05:53 PM   #10
tamititus

By the way, there's nothing wrong with being a male nurse.
It's quite honourable and actually my mother who's in health care has told me on multiple occasions that they're in demand.
The reason we don't have as many male nurses as we need is probably because of comments made by a certain someone on this thread.
>:(

Last edited by tamititus : 11-14-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2010 at 08:27 PM   #11
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

I debated removing the obvious troll post, however I'm going to selfishly leave it; anything that steers the conversation to how awesome male nurses (and myself ) are can't be that bad.

However, let's all try to stay on topic from this point on!

Tamara, you're most likely fine. I'd definitely recommend talking to a nursing academic advisor, or someone from admissions. They talked to me when I was considering transferring into nursing, and I found them to be quite informative/helpful. Not being a mac student right now shouldn't be an issue.

tamititus says thanks to Marlowe for this post.

tamititus, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 11-14-2010 at 10:35 PM   #12
tamititus

Yes, I'm definitely going to speak to an academic adviser. I think it's the only thing that will put my mind at ease. Anyhow, thanks for the advice and yes indeed male nurses are awesome!!
Old 11-19-2010 at 05:07 PM   #13
AeRo

Liked: 10 Times

As a female nurse, i do agree male nurses are awesome! they're very useful when it comes to lifts and transfers! And of course everything else as well!

tamititus says thanks to AeRo for this post.

tamititus likes this.