MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
switching programs, same faculty stephanemone First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-31-2010 10:33 AM
switching programs. asimon9 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-30-2010 03:47 PM
switching programs DancesToNIN Academics 4 02-07-2010 08:22 PM
Switching Programs OceanSpray First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 05-21-2009 08:41 PM
switching programs jeff_arato Academics 11 10-11-2008 11:24 PM

Switching programs from one faculty to another before first year.

Old 06-17-2010 at 09:05 PM   #1
amare

Liked: 22 Times

Switching programs from one faculty to another before first year.
Ok I was wondering I got admission to the Social Science program but I really want to go into business. If i have the requirements to get in (82 avg with all the pre-reqs) I was wondering if they would allow me to transfer/get admitted before the year started in September. The McMaster website said that this is possible provided that space is available so I was wondering if I get my final marks to them before the final deadline of June 30 how good of a chance do I have of transferring (I imagine all spots are taken but their is the possibility of rescinded offers).
Old 06-17-2010 at 09:15 PM   #2
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

You're going to want to call up the Department directly and ask them, they'll be able to tell you everything you need to know.

This is the contacts DeGroote gives for prospective students. They should set you straight:
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 905-525-4600 or 905-525-9140 ext. 23650

Even if you do not get it, it's not a big deal. Soc Sci has a lot of elective space, so just take the courses you need to get into Business II and you should be fine (they don't care at all what faculty you come from, as long as you fill the requirements).

amare says thanks to britb for this post.
Old 06-18-2010 at 02:09 AM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I agree with britb, contact them as soon as you can to see what you have to do and get it done as quickly as possible. On the other hand, if it doesn't work out, don't lose hope because you can easily take all the courses or as many as you can and transfer after first year into Commerce
Old 06-20-2010 at 01:40 PM   #4
dlee

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Another option you can consider if you really want to get into business is to withdraw your application from Social Science. Instead, you can use the time during Fall 2010 upgrading your HS courses and secure a spot for Fall 2011 for business. That way, you don't have to spend a whole year of Social Science just for the sake of transferring to Business, I doubt that too many courses are tranferrable in the first place. I assume that Social Science and Business is different, why go in to Social Science if you really wanted to do Business in the frst place? I think Social Science is interesting though, in that way, trying out for it may not hurt but if you are 100% wanting to go into business, I'd reconsider your situation.
Old 06-21-2010 at 05:46 PM   #5
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

or stick with social science take as many business courses as possible and take "elective" course for business so you can reduce time in upper years
Old 06-21-2010 at 06:16 PM   #6
Jellybeanz

Liked: 23 Times

Actually, by looking at the first year curriculums of both social sciences and commerce, it seems pretty easy to complete all of the commerce courses and then apply to Commerce II after first year seeing as social sciences I is fairly flexible. It's also even easier if you've completed Calculus and Vectors 12U as well as Data Management 12U. Here's the Business I curriculum:

Quote:
Requirements

Level I: 30 units (effective 2010-2011)

Students admitted to Business I must complete 30 units as follows:

1 course COMMERCE 1PA0
3 units COMMERCE 1E03
3- 6 units Course list 1 below
3 units COMP SCI 1BA3
6 units from ECON 1B03, 1BB3 (or 1A06)
3 units from MATH 1A03, 1LS3, 1M03 (See Note 5 above.)
0-3 units MATH 1F03 (for those students without Grade 12 Calculus and Vectors U)
0-3 units STATS 1L03 (for those students without Grade 12 Mathematics of Data Management U or equivalent)
3-12 units electives

Course List 1

ANTHROP 1A03
GEOG 1HA3 (or GEO 1HS3), 1HB3
HLTH AGE 1AA3 (HEALTHST 1A03)
HLTH AGE 1BB3 (GERONTOL 1A03)
POL SCI 1G06
PSYCH 1X03 (or 1A03)
RELIG ST 1B06
SOCIOL 1A06
As a Social Science I student you need to take 12 units of social science courses, and Econ 1B03 and 1BB3 both fulfill that requirement. For the other 6 units of social sciences you can choose 2 courses from course list 1, seeing as they're all social sciences courses.

However, Commerce 1PA0, 1E03 and Comp Sci 1BA3 all require registration in Business I as a prerequisite. I'm not quite sure how to get into those courses without being registered in Business I, seeing as I don't really know how that whole process works!

But, nonetheless, I hope this helped if you aren't allowed to transfer faculties this year!

Last edited by Jellybeanz : 06-21-2010 at 07:12 PM.

amare says thanks to Jellybeanz for this post.
Old 06-21-2010 at 08:14 PM   #7
Naheed
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

Call the faculty you want to be in, and they should be able to transfer you, assuming there is room. I switched from Science to Social Science a month before I started first year.
Old 06-21-2010 at 09:56 PM   #8
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Yeah, just follow the courses as closely as possible, call up the faculty for waivers (explain you want to get in and that, in case you cannot get in before 1st year, you're shadowing). You do not actually have a real major until second year anyway, and even then its very easy to switch - I've heard of cases of people doing it four times in a single year.
Old 06-21-2010 at 10:05 PM   #9
amare

Thanks for everybody's help I think I will call the degroote office and explain my situation. I have already e-mailed them and i was waiting for a response but I think I will call and see what they say. I really want to get into commerce ive worked hard all year to get into this program and not social sciences. If I wanted to do social sciences I wouldnt have tried at all this year and I still couldve got in. But anyways like you have said if it doesnt work out my best option would be to shadow the cources. Hopefully they still have enough spaces because that would be the only thing blocking me now. Is there anything specific I should say to them or should I just tell my situation?
Old 06-22-2010 at 09:38 AM   #10
amare

So I just called them and they said there isnt any way of geting into commerce this year because they offer more spaces than they have available and this is even though I have the required average and with rescinded offers. The reason I really still dont want to do this is because I'm competing for spots all over again like this year and I have to do really well first year. I remember reading somewhere that you have to have at least a 7.0 avg and complete all the required courses. Do any of you know how many people try and transfer into commerce 2 after first year?

Last edited by amare : 06-22-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-22-2010 at 12:22 PM   #11
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

I actually accepted an offer to Arts and Science and then in August, was able to transfer to Life Science. I think this is because I also applied and was accepted to Life Science though. Since this doesn't seem to be an option, I would just try and take as many courses as possible that are applicable to the Business degree in your first year. An academic counsellor may be able to assist you in this.
Old 06-22-2010 at 12:57 PM   #12
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

I actually did this and was told to fax a letter to admissions explaining the reasoning behind my decision... Long story short my fax was never received and I eventually called back and was given an email address of a woman who helped me out greatly, and I was switched