MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
switching programs, same faculty stephanemone First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-31-2010 10:33 AM
switching programs. asimon9 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-30-2010 03:47 PM
Switching programs from one faculty to another before first year. amare First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 06-22-2010 12:57 PM
switching programs DancesToNIN Academics 4 02-07-2010 08:22 PM
Switching Programs OceanSpray First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 05-21-2009 08:41 PM

switching programs

Old 10-02-2008 at 03:30 PM   #1
jeff_arato

Liked: 1 Time

switching programs
i was just wondering if it was possible to switch programs for 2nd semester....or if you have to wait until applying for 2nd year programs to transfer
Old 10-03-2008 at 08:11 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

what do you mean by switching programs?

like from engineering to english? or anthropology to psychology?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-03-2008 at 11:49 AM   #3
jeff_arato

like changing faculties...engineeri ng to like science or commerce, or something
Old 10-03-2008 at 04:08 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

You'll have to talk to an academic adviser, as you may or may not have the academic requisites, depending on which program you'd be switching into. Start with your faculty first, then the one you want to switch into.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-03-2008 at 07:19 PM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Yeah, you may find that you have to take a few courses in the summer depending on what the faculty you're switching into says (they've changed a lot of things this year so I don't want to give you information that is no longer correct).

Old 10-08-2008 at 01:24 AM   #6
Blues

I have a question, I guess it expands on this.

I already finished a first degree in an American school. I wanted to get a second undergrad degree in engineering at Mac, since I'm moving to the Hamilton area next year.

The thing is I never took physics, and now that requirement is sort of... throwing a wrench in my plans. Bottom line is, after looking into it (a lot), there is no way I can clear this requirement in time for the 2009-2010 school year locally. I would have to travel quite a bit just to take any equivalent that would let me clear this on time. By travel I mean move into the continental US and that is not an option at the time for many reasons.

My girlfriend and her friends said that if I really want to enroll at Mac for that school year, but can't make that requirement, to apply for life sciences (which I'm qualified for), take physics at Mac, then switch to engineering as soon as possible.

How long I take to get that second degree is not a problem. I really don't mind being set back over this. I just want to know if this is feasable and if anyone knows of this being done before. Even if it's allowed since it kinda feels like bypassing admission requirements (granted, at the cost of a big delay in entering your program).

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-08-2008 at 07:07 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

There are a few options for you, but I think they will require that you do a bunch of research on your own.

First, ask the Engineering Department what their standards are for applying for a second degree in Engineering: often their requirements are not always the same if you have another university degree. However, I suppose depending on what program you have a degree in you may have more or less of a chance.

Second, I suppose is there may be a loophole if you have any physics what-so-ever...by that I mean current Ontario 11th grade physics. If you have that, you can see if you get conditional acceptance if you take the first year "baby physics" at Mac. The course code was 1P03 I believe for the 2007-2008 year. That course is supposed to be equivalent to 12th grade Physics, and from there you should technically be able to go on to other courses in Engineering.

Third, find out what adult education centres are around. Many of them offer high school courses at night. You would theoretically be able to take the physics courses you need through there, and then apply to Mac.

Old 10-09-2008 at 05:05 PM   #8
Blues

Thanks.

I've done a lot of research and visited the university about this. Since my first degree is in finance, they said that getting a second undergrad is a matter of meeting the requirements for anyone fresh out of high school.

I've never taken any physics at all. I saw it going on in other class rooms, but was never in it myself. That why I wanted to know if it was viable to apply for a program I am qualified for, like life sciences, which offers physics in the first semester. I could complete the course, and as soon as I can, switch to an engineering program. I don't mind going the whole way around like that even though it might take a while.

I'm looking into that third option now, looking for night courses I can take.

My question still stands, however. The viability of applying for a program I am qualified for, just so I can enroll at the university and work on getting into an engineering program from the inside.
Old 10-09-2008 at 08:01 PM   #9
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

i have a feeling that taking adult education (high school physics) is alot cheaper and less complicated.
Old 10-10-2008 at 05:58 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Even if you were to apply for life sci you would still need grade 11 physics. The baby physics i'm referring to is equivalent to grade 12 only...and you couldn't take that without grade 11.

And yes, it's a HELL of a lot cheaper to take the courses through adult education. My cousin is doing that. She's taking Math from Grade 10 to Calc (the second part I guess), both bio, both chem. It's only going to cost her a couple hundred dollars to do. Aaaand it is supposed to be a lot easier; which means your acceptance average (if applicable) is likely to be higher.

Old 10-11-2008 at 08:59 PM   #11
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

i dont think there is no baby physics anymore. (highschool equivalence)

there is life science physics now, and there is variety in highschool physics experience: gr 11+12 physics, gr 11 physics and no physics. this physics is prerequisite to 1B03 also
Old 10-11-2008 at 11:24 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

You may be able to do it taking Physics 1L03, as it only says there is Calculus as a prereq, while Physics 1B03 requires Grade 12 Physics, or 1L03 as a prereq.

You'll have to ask Engineering if they'd accept that; as you'd then have to take both first year Engineering Physics courses. 1D03 and 1E03 only mention being registered in Engineering as your only requirement.