MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Second Year Mechanical Eng Boolean First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 02-28-2010 10:22 PM
Course Picking: Mechanical Eng & Management RoyK Academics 2 06-22-2009 12:09 PM

Swtiching from MATERIALS ENG to MECHANICAL ENG

Old 04-24-2015 at 04:38 AM   #1
1yaya44

Liked: 0 Times

Swtiching from MATERIALS ENG to MECHANICAL ENG
Hi, I'm currently a second year MATLS Eng student and I want to switch my field to Mechanical or Elect Eng. Well the reason why I didn't get into either of the two from first year was due to my low average which was 4.4/12. This year, I took a third year course STATS 3Y03 which I got a C+ on and my other MATLS grades now are comprising of 2As, 4Bs, 4Cs and 2Ds. I got an A in maths 2Z03 and ENG 2MM3 (an electricity and circuit course). So my average this year should be around a 6.4/12. Based on my grades, what are my chances of getting into any of the above named fields that I intend to transfer to?
Old 04-24-2015 at 10:43 AM   #2
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

electrical, for sure is one of the more competitive programs from what I hear (current first year). Best go talk to Sally Williams, she can probably give you better info than me. An alternative to electrical would be computer eng, which has a lot of electrical courses and much lower competition.
Old 04-24-2015 at 11:05 AM   #3
*spark*

Liked: 55 Times

Interesting to know that electrical is gaining popularity.. A few years back mechanical used to have one of the most competitive entrance averages while electrical was pretty easy to get into. These things change every year but you should definitely talk to Sally Williams about this.
I also think that comp eng would be the best alternative to elec eng as many of the courses overlap.
Old 04-24-2015 at 05:07 PM   #4
Ish001

Liked: 26 Times

Talk to your adviser about switching. It might be case dependent.

What I wanted to add is if you're switching mainly because you did poorly in Malakhov's classes, don't worry too much. It's not like that for all the Matls courses. In any case, if materials has no interest to you explore other options instead of continuing in a program you don't enjoy.

if you have any additional questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck!