MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone taken Kinesiology 1Y03 and 1YY3? Sohaibb First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 07-09-2008 09:24 PM

Take Kinesiology 1YY3 or Math 1AA3?

Old 08-23-2011 at 11:39 AM   #1
Auror.lah

Liked: 1 Time

Take Kinesiology 1YY3 or Math 1AA3?
I am currently enrolled in Kinesiology 1Y03 & 1YY3, and Math 1A03 in first term.

After I did some research, I realized that most graduate schools require two terms of Calculus, so now I'm wondering if I should take Math 1AA3 instead of Kinesiology 1YY3. However, I always hear Kin 1Y03/1YY3 being described together, so I'm wondering if it's not a good idea to only take 1Y03? Or, would it be a better idea to take Math 1AA3 in second year, or take it over the summer at UT (I live too far from McMaster to consider summer school there)?

Thanks! : )
Old 08-23-2011 at 11:45 AM   #2
richardysm

Liked: 4 Times

I'd say take Kin 1YY3 this term and take Math 1AA3 later. Isn't Kin course harder to get into (SOLAR rage)
Old 08-23-2011 at 11:51 AM   #3
gmoney

Liked: 21 Times

Many schools also require two terms of physiology, and Kin 1Y03/1YY3 qualify! I've taken all these courses, and let me tell you, these two kin courses were my favorite courses that I've taken at Mac! Will you be writing your MCATs/DAT btw? I found what I learned in kin to be of utmost help when it came to the Biology section of the MCAT. Math 1AA3 on the other hand.... It wasn't the most difficult course I've taken, but I honestly can not think of a more useless one :/ If you can take it over the summer, do it.

And yes, of course you can take Kin 1Y03 and not 1YY3. However, they compliment each other very well so I would taking them in one year. 1Yo3 I found to be more learning about the anatomy of the human body, whereas 1YY3 you applied that knowledge to learn about all the systems.
Old 08-23-2011 at 11:52 AM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardysm View Post
I'd say take Kin 1YY3 this term and take Math 1AA3 later. Isn't Kin course harder to get into (SOLAR rage)
Usually yes. I don't know if it's because I'm in 4th year but this year both 1Y03 and 1YY3 are still available...
Old 08-23-2011 at 11:55 AM   #5
richardysm

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Usually yes. I don't know if it's because I'm in 4th year but this year both 1Y03 and 1YY3 are still available...
1Y03 is full for me :(
1YY3 is open though.
Old 08-23-2011 at 11:59 AM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardysm View Post
1Y03 is full for me :(
1YY3 is open though.
Guess it is because I'm in 4th year :\
Old 08-23-2011 at 02:26 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Take Math 1AA3. It'll be harder to remember math if you split the two courses. However, with Kin, the two courses build up on each other, but you don't need to remember everything you learned in 1Y03. I split the two Kin courses and took one in first year and the second during second year and it wasn't a problem at all. However, now that I want to take Math 1LT3 (it wasn't offered yet when I was in first year), I would have to review some of math 1LS3 and it's much harder to split those 2 courses overall.

BlueWave likes this.
Old 08-23-2011 at 03:14 PM   #8
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Take Math 1AA3. It'll be harder to remember math if you split the two courses. However, with Kin, the two courses build up on each other, but you don't need to remember everything you learned in 1Y03. I split the two Kin courses and took one in first year and the second during second year and it wasn't a problem at all. However, now that I want to take Math 1LT3 (it wasn't offered yet when I was in first year), I would have to review some of math 1LS3 and it's much harder to split those 2 courses overall.
d'accord.

Integration, is very easy to forget.
Old 08-23-2011 at 09:09 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I didn't find 1AA3 difficult without any prior knowledge...I chose to take 1LS3 in first term of the school year and 1AA3 in the summer after first year, as well as taking both kin courses during first year. Personally, I think that was a really good decision, because not only was I able to dedicate as much time as necessary to 1AA3 by taking it in the summer, but kin is also a very light/not time consuming/enjoyable course, making it perfect for the school year. When I took 1LS3 it was basically 99% high school review, because it was the first time offering the course and they decided to start it off easy, so forgetting things from 1LS3 really wasn't an issue, and a 12 in 1AA3 is definitely doable even if you forget everything you learned in 1LS3...since 1LS3 is easier than 1A03, I'd assume the same applies for 1A03.