Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compare Math 1lt3 And Math 1aa3 ? ruby101 Academics 21 07-07-2010 03:32 PM

Take Math 1A03 then 1LT3

Old 11-09-2012 at 09:43 PM   #1
coffeecappu

Liked: 0 Times

Take Math 1A03 then 1LT3
I'm doing bad in math 1a03 now..but i need a full year math ..
so i'm planning to switch to Math 1LT3..
I dont think i can handle 1AA3
is 1LT3 easier than 1AA3?
Old 11-09-2012 at 10:03 PM   #2
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

http://patrickjmt.com/
As someone who is relatively weak in math, these videos have helped me get 12's in first year math courses.

Scarecrow says thanks to fasailuddin for this post.
Old 11-09-2012 at 10:14 PM   #3
coffeecappu

i need to say.. i do use this site and i am still failing..
Old 11-09-2012 at 10:14 PM   #4
coffeecappu

so any suggestions about watching khanacademy, study harder wont help me
Old 11-09-2012 at 10:26 PM   #5
Esha.B

Is getting a 60% in final in math 1A03 considered okay? as long as you just need the credit??
Old 11-09-2012 at 10:34 PM   #6
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecappu View Post
Are you doing the practice questions? Do you do the problems while looking at the solutions?
Old 11-09-2012 at 10:38 PM   #7
coffeecappu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasailuddin View Post
Are you doing the practice questions? Do you do the problems while looking at the solutions?

noo..but i dont even get it..lol

i've switched to 1lt3 already
i just want to know how people do in that course
Old 11-09-2012 at 10:40 PM   #8
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
You can watch a lot of tutorial videos and still do bad in a certain subject. The videos won't automatically make you good at math. You have to do your part as well...math is practice, i know you have heard it before multiple times but it's true!
Some people get certain topics faster than others, as long as you practice you should be fine.

I never used khanacademy, i tried using jmt in first year math to help me understand something but it didn't work. Personally, i can't make someone teach me math, that's why i don't go to math, i just study on my own

Studying harder should help you, as long as you are studying right. Practice is a key component in math. I think you should understand the topic first then do as many problems as you can. If you still don't get something make sure you go to the math help centre, if that don't help, talk to your prof maybe he/she has a a better advise.
Old 11-09-2012 at 11:09 PM   #9
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

study hard for the exam. its very possible to get 90+ on the exam since most of the exam covers the stuff after the 2nd midterm. if you practice that stuff hard you can still get a half decent grade
Old 11-09-2012 at 11:18 PM   #10
coffeecappu

so is everyone suggesting me to stay in math 1AA3?
Old 11-10-2012 at 09:17 AM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
so is everyone suggesting me to stay in math 1AA3?
If you're not doing practice problems because you don't "get" it then you probably won't do well regardless of which one you take.

You need to work your way through practice problems to get it. Take a look at a couple of full solutions if you get stuck and understand what was done, then try more on your own. There's also a math help centre you can go to, but it's much more useful if you've attempted the problems on your own first because they can show you where you're going wrong.

Anyways, there is some stuff you learn in 1LS3 that you don't learn in 1A03 and vice versa, so switching between the two streams requires a bit of catch-up either way. It's not hard and totally doable, but you need to be willing to do the work.
Old 11-10-2012 at 10:16 AM   #12
coffeecappu

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
If you're not doing practice problems because you don't "get" it then you probably won't do well regardless of which one you take.

You need to work your way through practice problems to get it. Take a look at a couple of full solutions if you get stuck and understand what was done, then try more on your own. There's also a math help centre you can go to, but it's much more useful if you've attempted the problems on your own first because they can show you where you're going wrong.

Anyways, there is some stuff you learn in 1LS3 that you don't learn in 1A03 and vice versa, so switching between the two streams requires a bit of catch-up either way. It's not hard and totally doable, but you need to be willing to do the work.

I do all practice problems and homework questions..
Old 11-10-2012 at 10:17 AM   #13
coffeecappu

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post

and I always go to math help centre too..
that's why i said any of these suggestions wont help

so now I just want to know whether u can get a higher mark in 1LT3
Old 11-10-2012 at 10:27 AM   #14
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
and I always go to math help centre too..
that's why i said any of these suggestions wont help

so now I just want to know whether u can get a higher mark in 1LT3
Like I said before, if you're not doing practice problems then it doesn't matter which you take.
You can get a higher mark in 1LT3. You can also get a higher mark in 1AA3. 1LT3 isn't supposed to be inherently "easier". Personally I preferred the science stream to the life science stream of math, because I found it less boring and I enjoyed the subjects covered, despite not really having a good prof. At the time though, 1LT3 didn't exist so I can't really directly compare.
Old 11-10-2012 at 03:25 PM   #15
5.98e24

Liked: 12 Times

Last year, I took 1A03 in first term and 1LT3 in second term, mainly because I heard that 1AA3 was monstrously difficult. Like you, I had originally registered in 1AA3 but switched out of it before the end of first term. I did well in 1A03 but didn't want to make my workload any heavier than it already was. I also wasn't planning to do a concentration in math, so 1LT3 was sufficient for me. In fact, I'm convinced that the content I learned in 1LT3 is more applicable to what I'm going into than what 1AA3 offered.

I remember hearing that the first midterm for 1AA3 last year had a very low average while the exam was very easy, possibly to make up for the difficulty of the midterm. Regardless, I'm still very glad I took 1LT3 because I'm almost sure the workload is lighter due to easier content. 1LT3 uses a different textbook than both 1A03 and 1AA3 and the 1A stream does not share a significant similarity in material with the 1L stream. The overlap between 1LT3 and 1AA3 is extremely minimal (some integration by parts, at most). If it matters to you, the prof for 1LT3 is also kind and approachable, very clear, and doesn't have the intimidation that I feel the 1A03 and 1AA3 profs carried.

Some people mentioned the complications in going from 1A03 to 1LT3 and how you would have "missed out" on the content that most other 1LT3 students covered in first term 1LS3. I caught up with no trouble at all. In fact, there wasn't much to "catch up" with anyway since you learn derivatives in both 1LS3 and 1A03 (although much more in depth in 1A03, of course). The only term that was unfamiliar to me in 1LT3 (that was taught in 1LS3) was cobwebbing, but it wasn't ever asked on an assignment/test/exam. Whatever you need to know for 1LT3 will be taught in 1LT3. Any foundational knowledge would have been taught in more depth in 1A03 anyway.

I would only say that the transition from the 1LS3 to 1AA3 stream is difficult. I haven't done it, but 1AA3 builds upon heavily from 1A03 material whereas 1LT3 doesn't have as strong of a relationship to 1LS3. In any case, catch-up of 1L material is inherently easier than that of 1A material. If you want confirmation, compare 1LS3 tests with 1A03 tests and come back to me.

Overall, I suggest you take 1LT3 if you aren't pursuing a math major or minor, or if your field of interest does not suggest or demand the knowledge required in 1AA3. Or, if you like a challenge, then 1AA3 may be a good option. Everything else being equal, I don't know for certain if I would have gotten the same or a lower mark in 1AA3 as I did in 1LT3, but I am glad I chose 1LT3 because the lower workload, absence of required assignments, easier tests, and my higher interest in 1LT3 material made it less of a stressful course.

Have a look at the content on the course websites for 1LT3 and 1AA3. That may help with your decision!

Last edited by 5.98e24 : 11-10-2012 at 04:03 PM.

coffeecappu says thanks to 5.98e24 for this post.