MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Plastic vs. Metal: March 26th 2010 lorend MacInsiders Announcements 2 03-12-2010 01:33 AM
Goodbye Paper Money - Hello Plastic sniderj Computers & Tech 28 03-07-2010 10:16 PM
McMaster to Ban Plastic Bags on Campus saukalra MacInsiders Announcements 46 09-14-2009 08:04 PM

Take The Plastic Bottle Free Pledge

On February 28, 2011, the MSU Main Office, as well as the Student Health Education Centre (SHEC) and COMPASS became the first plastic bottle free zones on campus. We would like to encourage you to join us in this initiative by taking the Plastic Bottle Free pledge online!

We as a society have a “use and toss” mentality, something we need to start moving away from to cut down on the prodigious amounts of waste we produce. Plastic is particularly harmful for the environment because the primary raw materials are derived from crude oil. As well, despite prevalent recycling programs, around 50% of bottles end up in landfills (where they take 1000+ years to biodegrade) and even when they are recycled it is an energy intensive process. Further to that, unlike aluminum cans which have a prolonged recycling lifespan, plastic can only be “down-cycled” to create things like stuffing. Union Market recently started offering juice in cans, to complement the canned soft drinks they already offer.

The primary goal of this campaign is to encourage the McMaster community to reduce and reuse. Opt for a reusable container over any single-use container whenever possible – drink tap water, use the fountain stations around campus and use fountain drink machines available at TwelvEighty and Hospitality Services venues. The secondary push is to recycle. Buy juice or soda in aluminum cans or a glass bottle whenever the alternative is available.

Do your part to build towards a more sustainable planet, and take the pledge at plasticbottlefree.com
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 03-09-2011 at 10:13 PM   #2
asfand_m3
First Lady

Liked: 28 Times
Just pledged #99!

mkozi likes this.

Old 03-09-2011 at 10:18 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
But they don't have v8 tropic in non-plastic bottle form... :(

Old 03-09-2011 at 10:40 PM   #4
mkozi

Liked: 100 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
But they don't have v8 tropic in non-plastic bottle form... :(
I knowww! I'm actually really disappointed because I approached Union Market about getting canned versions of V8 drinks... and apparently it's not even an option. Very disconcerting.

Old 03-09-2011 at 10:49 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkozi View Post
I knowww! I'm actually really disappointed because I approached Union Market about getting canned versions of V8 drinks... and apparently it's not even an option. Very disconcerting.
Hmm, La Piazza has the regular v8 in cans.. :/

Oh well, I only really drink chocolate milk anyways.

Old 03-09-2011 at 10:51 PM   #6
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times
If only they have bottled water in glass, I love bottled water :(

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Old 03-09-2011 at 11:03 PM   #7
Mikob11
Account Locked

Liked: 60 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post

I r Babboon, lorend like this.

Old 03-09-2011 at 11:06 PM   #8
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikob11 View Post
don't get all smart, I don't like how tap water tastes . . and I ment if they sell glass botteled water oncampus

Old 03-09-2011 at 11:06 PM   #9
...?!
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 76 Times
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...8.html?t=40008

Old 03-09-2011 at 11:06 PM   #10
mkozi

Liked: 100 Times
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what is it you like about bottled water? I've never been a fan myself, but I know a lot of people are. My favourite way to drink water is out of a metal cup. Mmm.

Old 03-09-2011 at 11:15 PM   #11
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkozi View Post
Out of curiosity, what is it you like about bottled water? I've never been a fan myself, but I know a lot of people are. My favourite way to drink water is out of a metal cup. Mmm.
bottled water tastes different, it tastes minerally lmao i can tell the difference.

giftedchick likes this.

Old 03-09-2011 at 11:19 PM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
don't get all smart, I don't like how tap water tastes . . and I ment if they sell glass botteled water oncampus
So you don't like fountain water? I find its tastier than anything.

You should have checked the plastic bottle vs tap water challenge today in the atrium, taste test both.. tap water turns out, more often than not, to be tastier.
(Penn and Teller also did a segment on their show about this)

I r Babboon likes this.

Old 03-09-2011 at 11:24 PM   #13
Mikob11
Account Locked

Quote:
bottled water tastes different, it tastes minerally lmao i can tell the difference.
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=15406 .0

Aquafina straight from the Detroit River

I r Babboon likes this.

Old 03-10-2011 at 12:57 AM   #14
Mikob11
Account Locked

Just gonna leave this here.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search