MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will I have to take an extra year...? GYalstj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-24-2014 01:42 AM
Taking Fourth Year Courses in Third Year beebee2 Academics 1 05-05-2014 06:02 PM
Taking 2nd year courses in 3rd or 4th year LindsayL216 Academics 2 06-06-2012 09:26 AM
Taking Chem 2OB3 during the school year after taking 2OA3 during the summer... oranges Academics 4 08-17-2011 07:47 PM

Taking an Extra Year

Old 07-13-2015 at 01:48 AM   #1
Blitzkrieg

Liked: 0 Times

Taking an Extra Year
Hey so due to some medical reasons (mental illness related) I had to withdraw from my courses for the past school year, which means I'll have to take an extra year. I expect a lot of people to ask me why I'm taking an extra year, and I don't want to tell them about my mental illness. What are some things I could tell them instead?
Old 07-13-2015 at 07:23 AM   #2
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

Something to start is "Mind your own business". If you are mild mannered, "I have to sort some things out before I start again". But, only truth can liberate you my friend... Or, if you dont wanna be liberated, just make up some shady excuses..
Old 07-14-2015 at 12:16 AM   #3
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
Hey so due to some medical reasons (mental illness related) I had to withdraw from my courses for the past school year, which means I'll have to take an extra year. I expect a lot of people to ask me why I'm taking an extra year, and I don't want to tell them about my mental illness. What are some things I could tell them instead?
People won't ask nearly as much as you think they will because people don't think about your life nearly as much as you think they do. Nobody is watching to see how often you screw up, so relax a little and do you.

That said, if you do face the question, be vague. You could say you had a medical situation that's since resolved, you could say you took time off for personal reasons. I told people I was taking time off to find myself, lol. But again, nobody really asks. Tons of people take longer than four years to complete their degrees for so many different reasons.