MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Incoming first years in the markham/richmond hill area? SirPhil First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 08-03-2011 12:43 PM
Go bus from Markham to McMaster and vice versa hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-01-2009 07:32 AM
The Benefits of Taking Indigenous Studies Classes at McMaster lorend Academics 7 06-30-2009 10:27 PM
First Annual Canadian National Brain Bee is Taking Place at McMaster lorend ARCHIVES 5 05-11-2008 04:12 PM
The McMaster World Congress is taking place this week! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-15-2008 11:54 AM

taking go bus to mcmaster from markham

Old 07-27-2011 at 10:03 PM   #1

Liked: 0 Times

taking go bus to mcmaster from markham
i live in markham so i was wondering where is the go bus stop that takes you to mcmaster and do we need to transfer buses. and is taking the go bus the cheapest way to get to mcmaster.

thanks.
Old 07-27-2011 at 10:07 PM   #2
twinsora

Liked: 3 Times

Well, depending on where you start from, I'm not too sure. But you want to get to York University, and take the 46 HWY 407 Westbound GO Bus. Takes you to and from basically Guelph to York U, with McMasters being one of the stops.
Old 07-27-2011 at 10:08 PM   #3
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

I'm from Markham too and I take the Mac to York U bus and then my parents pick me up from York or I take the Viva back home. The other option is to take the Hamilton -> Union and then transfer to the Markham bus but that takes longer and is more complicated. And yes GO bus is the cheapest to/from Mac and Markham.
Old 07-27-2011 at 10:11 PM   #4

what if i start at the downtown union station then how do i take the go bus to mac and i just found out its cheaper
Old 07-27-2011 at 10:13 PM   #5
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

There's no bus that goes to/from Union directly to Mac. You'd have to bus to Hamilton GO (downtown) and then take the HSR to Mac.
Old 07-27-2011 at 10:15 PM   #6

oh ok thanks alot for the heads up. then i think my closest stop would be the one at scarbrough town centre that will bring me directly to mcmaster
Old 07-27-2011 at 10:22 PM   #7
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

I live in Markham too and I take the GO bus from mac to York and then the VIVA purple to First Markham Place. It's approximately a three hour commute.

Btw, the GO bus ticket is around $80 for ten ride, which is pretty good; lasts me half a year
Old 07-27-2011 at 10:26 PM   #8
luv.ng.u

Liked: 1 Time

I usually take the 47 (Mac to York) and then another Go bus at York (52 or 54) and get off at Unionville go station (the station with the YMCA next to it). My ticket includes taking both buses so it's a little more expensive. Around $111. Then my parents usually pick me up from there or you could take the Viva/York buses from there. I find it's a lot faster than taking the Viva from York because the 52/54 are Go buses which go on the 407 and take about 25 mins to get to Unionville Go station (which is 407 and Kennedy). It's really convenient, you basically give your ticket when you get on at Mac, then ride it all the way to York, get off, get on a 52 or 54, simply just show them your ticket telling them you're transferring (they don't have to punch it in again) and take it to Unionville Go. The whole ride takes 2 hours (from Mac to Unionville). If you live north of Steeles (which I assume you do as you said you live in Markham), it'll probably be the faster way than going to Scarborough town, but perhaps not the cheaper way.

If you're going to Mac from home, then it's the opposite: 52/54 go bus --> York --> 47 --> Mac

Hope that helps!

Edit: When I say "my ticket" I mean my 10-ride! So per ride, it's between $11-12. Probably the same if you're going to buy a 10 ride from Mac to York ($80) then pay the Viva ($3.25 per ticket)

Last edited by luv.ng.u : 07-27-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-27-2011 at 10:30 PM   #9
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv.ng.u View Post
I usually take the 47 (Mac to York) and then another Go bus at York (52 or 54) and get off at Unionville go station (the station with the YMCA next to it). My ticket includes taking both buses so it's a little more expensive. Around $111. Then my parents usually pick me up from there or you could take the Viva/York buses from there. I find it's a lot faster than taking the Viva from York because the 52/54 are Go buses which go on the 407 and take about 25 mins to get to Unionville Go station (which is 407 and Kennedy). It's really convenient, you basically give your ticket when you get on at Mac, then ride it all the way to York, get off, get on a 52 or 54, simply just show them your ticket telling them you're transferring (they don't have to punch it in again) and take it to Unionville Go. The whole ride takes 2 hours (from Mac to Unionville). If you live north of Steeles (which I assume you do as you said you live in Markham), it'll probably be the faster way than going to Scarborough town, but perhaps not the cheaper way.

If you're going to Mac from home, then it's the opposite: 52/54 go bus --> York --> 47 --> Mac

Hope that helps!
Interesting, I will have to try that one day. So how would I buy a ticket that would let me transfer? I never knew you could do that
Old 07-27-2011 at 10:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv.ng.u View Post

Hope that helps!

Edit: When I say "my ticket" I mean my 10-ride! So per ride, it's between $11-12. Probably the same if you're going to buy a 10 ride from Mac to York ($80) then pay the Viva ($3.25 per ticket)
do i take the 52/54 at the unionville go station and does the $11 ticket include the transfer for goin on the 47 bus
Old 07-27-2011 at 10:42 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScarn View Post
Interesting, I will have to try that one day. So how would I buy a ticket that would let me transfer? I never knew you could do that
You just buy a ticket from where you're leaving to where your destination is (there's a number on your ticket where the bus driver can verify that). E.g. When you're buying the 10-ticket pass they'll ask you where you're leaving from and where you're headed. That way, the ticket includes the transfer in between the 2 locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemaking View Post
There's no bus that goes to/from Union directly to Mac. You'd have to bus to Hamilton GO (downtown) and then take the HSR to Mac.
Or, I find this easier: there's the bus from Mac (behind Keyes) to Burlington/Aldershot station (about a 10-15 min bus ride) followed by the train from Burlington/Aldershot station to union station.

Last edited by jhan523 : 07-28-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-27-2011 at 10:42 PM   #12
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
You just buy a ticket from where you're leaving to where your destination is (there's a number on your ticket where the bus driver can verify that). E.g. When you're buying the 10-ticket pass they'll ask you where you're leaving from and where you're headed.
So I can use a Mac/Unionville station to take the GO bus at York?
Old 07-27-2011 at 11:50 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemaking View Post
That bus stops at Columbia College which is like a <5 minute bus ride from McMaster, or a 10-15 minute walk.
Old 07-28-2011 at 12:42 AM   #14
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScarn View Post
So I can use a Mac/Unionville station to take the GO bus at York?
You can, since the Mac/Unionville one is 111.75, while the York one is 84.25, however, you'd be paying more when taking the Mac/York U line. So maybe try which route works out better for you? Or you can always have one 10-ride tickets for each route and alternate between them or something .

MichaelScarn says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 07-28-2011 at 02:17 AM   #15
jay7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737300173 View Post
oh ok thanks alot for the heads up. then i think my closest stop would be the one at scarbrough town centre that will bring me directly to mcmaster
Theres no bus that goes directly from STC to mac. On weekdays you can take the GO bus from STC to york, then the 47 to mac, but the bus from STC to york isn't offered on weekends.