MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Incoming first years in the markham/richmond hill area? SirPhil First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 08-03-2011 12:43 PM
Go bus from Markham to McMaster and vice versa hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-01-2009 07:32 AM
The Benefits of Taking Indigenous Studies Classes at McMaster lorend Academics 7 06-30-2009 10:27 PM
First Annual Canadian National Brain Bee is Taking Place at McMaster lorend ARCHIVES 5 05-11-2008 04:12 PM
The McMaster World Congress is taking place this week! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-15-2008 11:54 AM

taking go bus to mcmaster from markham

Old 07-28-2011 at 07:50 AM   #16
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

there's an easier way to do it from markham than going to York. The bus from york may drop you off on campus but it takes a long time, making many stops.

You can buy a 10 ride pass for unionville go station --> hamilton and take the lakeshore go train/bus from unionville. This bus/train (depending on time of day) will take you directly to union station. From there take the QEW Express to Hamilton Go and get off at the first stop - colombia college, from there its only a 10 min walk or a quick bus ride along main to campus.

I find this takes me, door to door, 2 hours and a bit, while the York U option takes 3 hours from markham.

Alternatively, you could take the TTC to union, but that I find is very time consuming.
Old 07-28-2011 at 08:22 AM   #17
luv.ng.u

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScarn View Post
Interesting, I will have to try that one day. So how would I buy a ticket that would let me transfer? I never knew you could do that
You can buy it at Compass, just let the person know that you're going from Mac to Unionville Go station. Don't need to tell them you're going to York then transferring, it's implied.
I used to have a set of 10-ride for Mac - York as well as Mac - Unionville, but most of the times, I take it all the way to Unionville anyways, so I have not bought a new 10-ride for Mac-York. But you can still use it to go to York as your final destination, just don't get on another go bus.

I haven't taken it from Unionville to Mac, but perhaps the route that SciMania suggested could be shorter. I usually take it from Mac to Unionville and the busride itself takes 2 hours.
For your suggested route, if I wanted to go from Mac to Unionville, where would I get on and what ticket would I purchase? Thanks
Old 07-28-2011 at 08:38 AM   #18
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post
there's an easier way to do it from markham than going to York. The bus from york may drop you off on campus but it takes a long time, making many stops.

You can buy a 10 ride pass for unionville go station --> hamilton and take the lakeshore go train/bus from unionville. This bus/train (depending on time of day) will take you directly to union station. From there take the QEW Express to Hamilton Go and get off at the first stop - colombia college, from there its only a 10 min walk or a quick bus ride along main to campus.

I find this takes me, door to door, 2 hours and a bit, while the York U option takes 3 hours from markham.

Alternatively, you could take the TTC to union, but that I find is very time consuming.
3 hours o_o?! The Mac to York U bus takes 1 h 15 mins (except during rush hour traffic - but I've never spent longer than 1.5 h on the bus itself) and then it takes me another 20 min drive to get home (in Markham).
Old 07-28-2011 at 08:51 AM   #19
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemaking View Post
3 hours o_o?! The Mac to York U bus takes 1 h 15 mins (except during rush hour traffic - but I've never spent longer than 1.5 h on the bus itself) and then it takes me another 20 min drive to get home (in Markham).
I meant 3 hrs if you take the go bus from unionville --> york then take the go from york --> mac. Taking into account the waiting times between the transfer, from the time you leave home to the time you arrive at mac it ends up being closer to 3 hrs travel time.

If you're driving to/from markham --> york then that definitley speeds things up.

Also every time i've taken it the mac --> york u bus takes atleast 1.5 hrs, and in bad weather or when its crowded it always ends up taking much much longer. Not to mention the insanity of that bus stop at mac after an exam or at 5:30 when everyone is trying to get home. Also if you miss a bus it's atleast another 40 mins or so of waiting, while the QEW express runs on the half hour.

Last edited by SciMania : 07-28-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-04-2011 at 10:00 PM   #20

Liked: 0 Times

since theres no go bus 52 and 47 during the weekends, what other buses can take me back to markham or go back to mcmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay7 View Post
Theres no bus that goes directly from STC to mac. On weekdays you can take the GO bus from STC to york, then the 47 to mac, but the bus from STC to york isn't offered on weekends.
since theres no 52 and 47 bus on weekends what other buses can i take to mac or go back home?

Last edited by jhan523 : 08-04-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-04-2011 at 10:44 PM   #21
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737300173 View Post
since theres no 52 and 47 bus on weekends what other buses can i take to mac or go back home?
The buses operate Friday night, so you can go home then. And service resumes Sunday afternoon-evening so that you can make it back to Mac. Alternatively, there's always going through Hamilton GO Centre.