Which language? ninjamachete General Discussion 9 01-05-2011 05:54 PM
Language courses Goce Academics 31 07-13-2009 06:24 AM

Taking a language course in a language you speak

Old 11-30-2011 at 03:47 PM   #1
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Taking a language course in a language you speak
Are are you allowed to take a language course (for me it would be German) if you can already speak the language?
Old 11-30-2011 at 04:13 PM   #2
classic11
Account Disabled by User

Liked: Liked 4 Times

They say you're not, but people do it anyways.
Old 11-30-2011 at 06:49 PM   #3
Philipp31
Elite Member

The thing is you need the grade 12 pre-req to take the course... is there anyway to get around this?
Old 11-30-2011 at 07:00 PM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkolb31 View Post
The thing is you need the grade 12 pre-req to take the course... is there anyway to get around this?
seeing as if you tell them you know german anyways then they wont let you take the course, not too sure what you can do. unless you say you bought a program online that taught you it
Old 11-30-2011 at 07:03 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan H. View Post
seeing as if you tell them you know german anyways then they wont let you take the course, not too sure what you can do. unless you say you bought a program online that taught you it
If you need a prereq, then it's not meant for people with no knowledge of the language. It's probably for people with some knowledge who want to improve. Contact the language dept to find out specifics--they may require you to do a placement test.
Old 11-30-2011 at 07:07 PM   #6
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Technically, no, you're not supposed to. The prerequisites are usually in place to stop you. If you don't have the Grade 12 prereq, but you tell them "I can speak German", they'll know and probably won't place you in the class. Learning German throughout high school is much different and more difficult than being fluent from home.

Not to be a downer, but the language classes are super small and fill up fast. If you're fluent and just looking for a bird course, I would ask you not to take it. Some people really want to learn the language, and it's crummy when people fill up the class even though they are fluent. I was dying to get into Polish for FIVE YEARS (!) at Mac but it always filled up too fast. (Sorry, I know I'm a buzzkill!)

britb, Faer, JeffZ, SC04 like this.
Old 11-30-2011 at 07:33 PM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkolb31 View Post
Are are you allowed to take a language course (for me it would be German) if you can already speak the language?
Seriously, don't. You're just being a douche if you do. Anyway, they would probably pick up on you right away even if you tried. I took German 1Z06 in first year, and some girl who was in the class who moved here from Germany when she was 6 got found out in like 2 seconds. She got transferred to the fourth year class, lol.

Just go take Spanish or something. All the first year languages classes are nub and don't require much work anyway.

Quote:
Not to be a downer, but the language classes are super small and fill up fast.
It's true, I had to kill quite a few people to get into that class.

Philipp31 says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 11-30-2011 at 07:42 PM   #8
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

A bunch of people in Russian 1ZZ3 spoke Ukrainian... that was not really fair either.
Old 11-30-2011 at 11:32 PM   #9
Philipp31
Elite Member

Never considered the risk factor of being transferred to a 4th year class haha, and the douchebaggery of stealing the class from people who actually want to learn (I had no idea people actually took German).
Anyways, thanks for the responses!
Old 12-01-2011 at 01:16 AM   #10
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

Agreed it does suck but it's not awful, I mean he get's to put a 12 on his transcript, let him
Old 12-01-2011 at 02:50 AM   #11
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Are first year languages really that easy? There's no cool ones at mac but I have considered spanish.
Old 12-01-2011 at 11:11 AM   #12
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleStorm View Post
Are first year languages really that easy? There's no cool ones at mac but I have considered spanish.
Not all language courses are really easy but it becomes easy if you're willing to learn. I took Japanese 1Z06 last year and I found it quite hard at first but it became easy afterwards.
Old 12-01-2011 at 01:56 PM   #13
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Awww! I wanted to take Polish in first year, but I didn't cause I wasn't allowed.

:(

QQ

Old 12-01-2011 at 02:33 PM   #14
manap3001
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

If I could get away with this (ie. a ukranian taking russian etc.) I certainly would, I couldn't care less if someone who really wanted to take the course missed out, it's not my problem.
Old 12-01-2011 at 02:40 PM   #15
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3001 View Post
If I could get away with this (ie. a ukranian taking russian etc.) I certainly would, I couldn't care less if someone who really wanted to take the course missed out, it's not my problem.
Well, you're a douche then. Why are you at university if you don't want to learn anything and just cruise through?

They would find out pretty fast anyway, especially if you're in a Russian/Polish class and your last name ends in 'ski' or 'vich'.

Snowman likes this.