language courses MacStudent1 Academics 5 08-04-2010 09:48 PM
Language courses Goce Academics 31 07-13-2009 06:24 AM
Mohawk language course. What is it like? raine Academics 8 11-28-2008 06:27 PM

Which language?

Old 01-05-2011 at 09:57 AM   #1
ninjamachete

Liked: 24 Times

Which language?
im stuck in a dilemma and i can't decide which language course to take as an elective for Eng I, so i was wondering if you were to pick any of the three which would it be? Russian, Italian, or German? I have no prior knowledge of any of these

Btw, whats the last day to drop a course without financial penalty?
Old 01-05-2011 at 10:08 AM   #2
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

January 11th's the course drop/add deadline.
After that, you have until March 11th for a partial refund

Beginner language courses are full year though... I don't think you can register for them this term (unless you're thinking about taking them next year).
Old 01-05-2011 at 10:21 AM   #3
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Russian is actually two 3-unit courses, unlike the other intro language courses which are a single 6-unit. Russian is supposed to be a very difficult language to learn, but I enjoy it, and I also 12'd the first course last semester... so...
Old 01-05-2011 at 11:27 AM   #4
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

i would think italian would be easier to learn.. some of the words might be similar to english/french
Old 01-05-2011 at 11:40 AM   #5
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamachete View Post
im stuck in a dilemma and i can't decide which language course to take as an elective for Eng I, so i was wondering if you were to pick any of the three which would it be? Russian, Italian, or German? I have no prior knowledge of any of these

Btw, whats the last day to drop a course without financial penalty?
I studied Italian for 7 years it is a great language and easy to learn. Most of the grammar has rules which can easily be applied.

I don't know why you would want to learn Russian. You won't achieve anything with it unless you are planning to move to Russia.

I never studied German. I wish I did and I will probably take some night classes after I graduate. It looks like a fascinating language to learn. It is most certainly harder than Italian but I can see it being easier than Russian. Also German would help you a lot of you decide to move to Germany once you graduate.
Old 01-05-2011 at 12:48 PM   #6
Andrew A
Elite Member

Russian could be useful outside of Russia, too. Maybe not as much as Italian or German but still, there are a lot of Russian scientists and engineers out there. That was a big part of my decision to take Russian - lots of software engineers and computer scientists come out of Russia, so speaking their language could be useful :p

ninjamachete likes this.
Old 01-05-2011 at 01:30 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I took a beginner's german course in highschool and I absolutely loved it. It's definitely not easy to learn, but I would say it's a little more difficult than Italian. German has a lot of patterns with root words and such, so I thought vocabulary and such were pretty straighforward. Although pronounciation takes a while to learn, especially with longer words. I loved both though. I think any beginner's language course is easy enough if you're interested in that language and you put in enough effort to learn the grammatic rules and whatnot.
Old 01-05-2011 at 03:29 PM   #8
ninjamachete

Liked: 24 Times

i think i'll go with Russian for now. No reason, just my instinct.
Old 01-05-2011 at 04:47 PM   #9
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamachete View Post
i think i'll go with Russian for now. No reason, just my instinct.
Good luck with that, because it is very different from English. If I were you, I would take German, Spanish or French. And in that order for easiness. German resembles English in a way, some words do sound alike. French is much harder to learn than Spanish.
Old 01-05-2011 at 05:54 PM   #10
Andrew A
Elite Member

Honestly, Russian reminded me a lot of French. I didn't find it very difficult at all.