Language courses Goce Academics 31 07-13-2009 06:24 AM

Taking a language course in a language you speak

Old 12-01-2011 at 02:57 PM   #16
manap3001
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Well, you're a douche then. Why are you at university if you don't want to learn anything and just cruise through?

They would find out pretty fast anyway, especially if you're in a Russian/Polish class and your last name ends in 'ski' or 'vich'.
Because I've seen dumb/ditzy people with university degrees, and people who are really good at their jobs without university degrees. They want my money, and I want to be more employable, I "learned" everything I needed to know after 1 semester, my method for understanding hasn't changed since then, there is no benefit in making your electives any harder than they need to be.
Old 12-01-2011 at 03:02 PM   #17
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Well if that isn't the most conceited post I've ever read.
Old 12-01-2011 at 04:19 PM   #18
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Well, you're a douche then. Why are you at university if you don't want to learn anything and just cruise through?

They would find out pretty fast anyway, especially if you're in a Russian/Polish class and your last name ends in 'ski' or 'vich'.
They were all actually allowed to stay in the course though. I didn't see any of them in 1Z03 the semester before however so I don't think they were allowed into that. Considering both of those courses are really about learning grammar and basic vocabulary, it's not like either one would have been anything new for a Ukrainian speaker really.
Old 12-01-2011 at 05:54 PM   #19
katrinabell

Liked: 19 Times

They won't force you to leave the course. I have a friend who speaks Russian and is taking Russian right now. A lot of people in linguistics take their language requirements in languages they already speak also.
Old 12-01-2011 at 06:04 PM   #20
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3001 View Post
... I "learned" everything I needed to know after 1 semester ...
Regardless of your program, no, you didn't.

nerual likes this.
Old 12-01-2011 at 06:09 PM   #21
SirPhil

I took German 1Z06 in first year and there was a guy fluent in German in the class. I don't think my Prof minded. If you want to do it, do it. But its just a waste of your money and time seeing as you pay like $500 to be in the class and it would be so easy it hurts for you lol.

But no one is going to stop you.
Old 12-01-2011 at 06:26 PM   #22
Andrew A
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrinabell View Post
They won't force you to leave the course. I have a friend who speaks Russian and is taking Russian right now. A lot of people in linguistics take their language requirements in languages they already speak also.
I don't think people already fluent in the language (or a very similar one, like Ukrainian and Russian) should be eligible for introductory courses designed for people with no prior exposure to the language, considering seats are so limited in language courses. Yes, they are paying for the course the same as anyone else, but when there's a limited number of seats, and half of them are taken up by people who have nothing at all to gain from the course other than an easy 12, I think it might be better to let people who will actually gain some knowledge into the course first...

anon491 likes this.
Old 12-01-2011 at 07:10 PM   #23
katrinabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
I don't think people already fluent in the language (or a very similar one, like Ukrainian and Russian) should be eligible for introductory courses designed for people with no prior exposure to the language, considering seats are so limited in language courses. Yes, they are paying for the course the same as anyone else, but when there's a limited number of seats, and half of them are taken up by people who have nothing at all to gain from the course other than an easy 12, I think it might be better to let people who will actually gain some knowledge into the course first...
I didn't say anything about whether or not they should be allowed to take the classes, only that they won't stop them from doing it.
Old 12-01-2011 at 08:07 PM   #24
Andrew A
Elite Member

Yea, and I feel like perhaps they should... lol.
Old 12-01-2011 at 08:07 PM   #25
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrinabell View Post
I didn't say anything about whether or not they should be allowed to take the classes, only that they won't stop them from doing it.
They might. For language courses, if your prerequisites aren't what they're looking for, you will have to write a test. They will be able to figure out your knowledge of the material and place you accordingly.

I don't think you will get kicked out of a course once you're already in it. But getting in without the prereqs is difficult.