MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer school orgo chem LBJ.MVP Academics 0 03-24-2010 07:12 PM
Orgo 20B3 and 2OA3, and biochem 2EE3, and bio 2EE3 rits Academics 1 08-24-2008 03:44 PM

taking orgo chem & Biochem 2EE3 in summer

Old 07-12-2010 at 03:05 PM   #1
minji

Liked: 0 Times

taking orgo chem & Biochem 2EE3 in summer
My schedule for this upcoming september is mostly bio based;

BIO 2A03 2B03 2C03 2D03 (and maybe 2EE3)
ENVIR SCI 2C03, 2B03 (or 2E03 or 2Q03), 2W03
CHEM 2E03
BIOCEM 2EE3

If I add chem and biochem it'll definitely make my workload heavy and I'm not quite sure if I can handle it. and also, I absolutely HATE chem. so I was thinking of dropping chem and biochem (since chem is prereq) and taking it over summer.

I'm also interested in biopharm coop 3rd year but both orgo courses (2AO3 and 2BO3) are required to apply. so if I decide to drop chem 2e03 and add two orgos, would it be easier to do it over the summer, seeing that my schedule is heavy as it is? then I'd have to take level II biochem course in 3rd year... but I assume 3rd year courses would be even heavier than 2nd year. Is it really hard to get into biopharm cause I wouldn't even bother taking those two orgos if chances of getting accepted to biopharm coop is very small, and I hear it's very competitive.

Any suggestions would be great!

Last edited by minji : 07-12-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-12-2010 at 03:10 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by minji View Post
My schedule for this upcoming september is mostly bio based;

BIO 2A03 2B03 2C03 2D03 (and maybe 2EE3)
ENVIR SCI 2C03, 2B03 (or 2E03 or 2Q03), 2W03
CHEM 2E03
BIOCEM 2EE3

If I add chem and biochem it'll definitely make my workload heavy and I'm not quite sure if I can handle it. and also, I absolutely HATE chem. so I was thinking of dropping chem and biochem (since chem is prereq) and taking it over summer.

I'm also interested in biopharm coop 3rd year but both orgo courses (2AO3 and 2BO3) are required to apply. so if I decide to drop chem 2e03 and add two orgos, would it be easier to do it over the summer, seeing that my schedule is heavy as it is? then I'd have to take level II biochem course in 3rd year... but I assume 3rd year courses would be even heavier than 2nd year. but I wouldn't even bother taking those two orgos if chances of getting accepted to biopharm coop is very small cause I hear it's very competitive.

Biochem isn't very hard, it's just a lot of memorization. You won't really be learning any concepts or theories.

Most people say it's easier to take Orgo during summer because you can dedicate all your time to studying for that one course. Workload wise it's really not as heavy as you think. I took those 5 bios, 2 biochems, 2 orgos and my elective which was econ. I was still able to party and relax while still handling the work. But everyone is different, so if you think you can't handle the workload then don't try to.
Old 07-12-2010 at 04:04 PM   #3
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:

I'm also interested in biopharm coop 3rd year but both orgo courses (2AO3 and 2BO3) are required to apply. so if I decide to drop chem 2e03 and add two orgos, would it be easier to do it over the summer, seeing that my schedule is heavy as it is? then I'd have to take level II biochem course in 3rd year... but I assume 3rd year courses would be even heavier than 2nd year. Is it really hard to get into biopharm cause I wouldn't even bother taking those two orgos if chances of getting accepted to biopharm coop is very small, and I hear it's very competitive.

Most of the co-op programs are fairly competitive and you will be interviewed along the process. Biopharm is one of the most competitive programs, I believe. I'm not sure about biopharm, but for genetics co-op some students entered with high averages and some with lower averages. Your interview 'score' also plays a factor! My only concern with your plan is taking orgo in the summer. I don't know if the co-op office will accept you into the program (or even accept your application) if you have not completed your orgo courses!

Adding orgo to your regular school year will make things harder, but it is not impossible! I did it... and so did everyone else in the genetics specialization (non-co-op and co-op)! I also had a part time job, so it is very possible to do well and still have some free time =)

Last edited by Ivan Q. : 07-12-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-12-2010 at 04:10 PM   #4
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I would try to get Orgo and biochem in, since its required and you don't want even a slight disadvantage with this like coop. Maybe drop a couple of electives? I don't think Bio 2D03 is required for any programs and maybe you can get out of one of the eth scis and delay it until next year, or take them in the summer? Some of those must just be one shots or delay-able.
Old 07-13-2010 at 12:32 AM   #5
minji

Liked: 0 Times

They said they give out conditional offers where students can take required course(s) for biopharm entry over the summer. Has anyone taken bio 2ee3 and/or 2D03? I was thinking of dropping 2ee3 mainly because it is an evening course but when looking over undergrad calendar, bio 2D03, like britb said, doesn't seem to be required for any upper year courses other than 3B03 (plant physiology). but then again.. I don't see 2ee3 as a prereq to any other upper year courses either

I can't drop any of envir sci coures as I need 9 units of level ii envir sci courses and need 12 units of level ii bio courses. I could delay it but I'm not sure if I want to. Not quite sure if envir sci courses are offered in spring term but I will def look into that.

5 bio courses, 2 orgos and 2 biochem courses.. is that really doable? did you end up getting decent marks? I guess I could manage those courses but I'm not sure if I can get decent marks at the end, especially orgo.. cause I'm terrible at it.

As for interviews.. what exactly are they looking for? They said average doesn't really matter (at least CA of 6) and it's mostly interview & application based..

Last edited by minji : 07-13-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-13-2010 at 12:42 AM   #6
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
They said they give out conditional offers where students can take required course(s) for biopharm entry over the summer. Has anyone taken bio 2ee3 and/or 2D03? I was thinking of dropping 2ee3 mainly because it is an evening course but when looking over undergrad calendar, bio 2D03, like britb said, doesn't seem to be required for any upper year courses other than 3B03 (plant physiology). but then again.. I don't see 2ee3 as a prereq to any other upper year courses either

As for interviews.. what exactly are they looking for? They said average doesn't really matter (at least CA of 6) and it's mostly interview & application based..
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...light=Biopharm

Check that thread for more biopharm info! (or directly ask me here)

As for co-op and required courses in the summer, that is just fine. I myself just got admitted to Biopharm and didnt have the second orgo completed. I just told the application commitee, as well as stated on my application that I will have the course done in the summer before starting biopharm in September. You are correct in saying conditional offers are given to people like me . Good luck in school and the biopharm applications! Feel free to ask more questions about the application.