MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
SOCS Year End Pub Thursday April 29th jhan523 MacInsiders Announcements 1 04-27-2010 06:20 AM
Indigenous Studies Film Night: Monday March 29th lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-27-2010 08:55 AM
McDonalds - Free Coffee Till Nov 29th Chad MacInsiders Announcements 7 11-13-2009 10:22 PM

Talk: Indigenous Peoples and Globalization Sept 29th

Talk: Indigenous Peoples and Globalization Sept 29th

Dear McMaster community members,

The Indigenous Studies Program and Globalization Institute are pleased to co-sponsor a seminar led by Bolivia's ambassador to Canada, Edgar Torres, on the topic "Indigenous Peoples and Globalization." Professor Torres will be speaking on Sept 29, Tuesday, in JHE 326H, between 2 and 3:30. Please mark the date on your calendars and plan to attend this important talk.

A brief biography on Professor Torres appears below.

Thank you,

Daniel Coleman
Academic Co-Chair, President's Committee on Indigenous Issues

Mr. Edgar TORREZ MOSQUIERA was born on August 20, 1954, in Oruro - Bolivia. Mr. TORREZ obtained his Bachelor's degree as Sociologist at the University of San Andres in La Paz, in addition to specialization in Social Planning and Local Government Planning.

From 1992 to 1994 Mr. Torrez worked as Director of Education and Culture at the City Hall of La Paz. In 1995 joined the Provincial Government and served as Director of Territory. Later on, from 1996 to 1998, he was appointed as Deputy Mayor of the district of Cotahuma - La Paz and in 1999 he became Senior Adviser for the Economic Committee at The City Hall of La Paz.

Mr. Torrez was Adviser for the Technical and Planning Committee at the City Hall of La Paz from 2001 to 2002. Subsequently, he was Adviser for different Municipal Governments in Potosi and La Paz. Also, he was advisor for UDAM, for the local Government of Charazani, Llallagua and for the "research about the Indigenous People of the North of Potosi". In 2005, he served at the World Bank as Adviser to "Strategy of the Struggle against Poverty" in Angola.

He has been involved in several research social studies since 1980 until 2004. Mr. Torrez has been working as professor on Social Sciences matters at San Andres University from 1982 to 2006.

Mr. Torrez is currently serves as acting Ambassador of Bolivia to Canada.
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 09-28-2009 at 09:56 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
I can't go. stupid seminar. grrrr.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 09-29-2009 at 11:17 PM   #3
Slania
Program: English + Indigenous Studies
Year: Second

Liked: 1 Time
I could only stay for half an hour which was really disappointing cause I sat at the back as not to disturb the hell out of people when I left...in which case I barely heard a thing. :(
He seemed REALLY interesting too, from the few seconds I actually heard much of what he had to say as I was leaving.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search