MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Question Regarding Bunk and Loft Swampis Residence & Housing 1 09-01-2011 03:34 PM
A materials question and a chem question. (course stuff) Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 03-05-2011 12:20 AM
Graduate school admission question (easy question) Mac12 Academics 3 09-30-2008 06:27 PM

Tax Question

Old 07-22-2013 at 01:17 PM   #1
RiskBreaker

Liked: 5 Times

Tax Question
My parents opened up an RESP account for some years ago and apparently now that I finally have access to it, any money I withdraw from that account will be considered income. According to this website; http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html there is a 15% tax on the first $43,561 of taxable income. I was wondering whether RESP would be considered taxable.

I think it's called the "RESP," is it?
Old 07-22-2013 at 01:45 PM   #2
speirac

Liked: 1 Time

The RESP is always taxable and needs to be claimed on your OSAP application and taxes. From what I understand, if you are a student and withdrawal that money they can't hold it against you in regards to income tax. (not sure though...). I've used a small amount of my RESP each year along with OSAP and I didn't notice any changes in my return or OSAP entitlement.
Hope this helps

RiskBreaker says thanks to speirac for this post.
Old 07-22-2013 at 01:51 PM   #3
RiskBreaker

Thanks, so I just to clarify, you didn't have to pay income tax when you withdrew from your RESP?
Old 07-22-2013 at 01:59 PM   #4
speirac

Liked: 1 Time

I never pay income tax because I don't make enough money during the year as I am a full-time student. I don't know about your situation but RESP's will count towards taxable income. For example. You make 15000 Gross Income in the Summer this year. You also withdrawal 2000 in RESP for the fall. When you do your taxes you will have 17000 in taxable income. It will really depend on your personal situation.

RiskBreaker says thanks to speirac for this post.
Old 07-22-2013 at 02:03 PM   #5
RiskBreaker

Ahh I see. So as long as I don't work there won't be tax. Thank you!>