MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Teen girl falls through massive unseen sidewalk sinkhole in China jim1 Politics 4 04-25-2012 04:35 AM
Support a Mac Student in the Aeropostale Real Teen Contest mlangille MacInsiders Announcements 6 03-25-2010 10:25 AM

Teen Mom

Old 07-18-2012 at 11:57 AM   #16
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

i just dont understand how getting pregnat would satisfy whore requirements... so if i have a boyfriend at sixteen its ok, but dare i get pregnant by him and im a whore? ... .. .
Old 07-18-2012 at 11:57 AM   #17
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

The thing about pregnancy is that it takes two.

The dad is just as responsible for the pregnancy as the mother. Calling one a whore because she's the one actually carrying the child doesn't really make much sense, because she was as involved in the act of conception as the dad was.

The blame either falls on both parties or none, unless it was explicitly one person's fault (e.g. they poked a hole in the condom or something).

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

lt93 likes this.
Old 07-18-2012 at 12:00 PM   #18
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Sorry, teen whores and manwhores? The complete lack of responsibility, on top of them parading it around on a tv show, just shows that none of these people used any thought before doing the things they did. No need to be making this a sexism post when its based on just stupid tv programs. If you want to debate that sort of thing take it to another thread please
Wow that end bit was kind of rude :(

I was hoping that the tone of my previous point would be read in an exasperated way and not accusatory...but alas much gets lost in the translation of text (not to mention you completely ignored the fact that I said I agreed with you...nice).
I was not trying to accuse you of sexism...although yes I guess the undertone is there.

To clarify: I was just saying that I didn't think you were using the correct terminology for what you were trying to imply...which I'm sorry, but thus lead me to find the title of your thread to be a bit offensive. A whore is essentially the same thing as being a prostitute where one is being paid for sexual acts. I think the word you were looking for was slut (as an overly promiscuous individual)... and even then, we really have no idea what goes on in these peoples lives or minds for us to be overly judgemental of their choices.

And just to clarify again, yes I agree these shows are dumb. People are just fascinated by watching it. *shrugs*
Old 07-18-2012 at 12:01 PM   #19
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Also, while some teenage mothers do want a child and do want to be pregnant in their teens, I doubt most of those women actually wanted to be pregnant. Abortion is still a fairly taboo topic in our society. Some of them don't have access to those options, and they're societally forced to carry, deliver and be a part of a child's life when they aren't ready for it.

They may know that. But if their parents and guardians don't consent and they can't make their own healthcare decisions and don't have access to those options, sometimes, they may feel there's nothing they can do.

They're not "dumb" because they continue being teenagers after having children. They're teenagers. They clearly weren't ready to have the child. Most probably didn't expect to get pregnant. But most may have no say.

Should you know the risks? Yes, of course you should. But everybody does risky stupid crap that could change their lives. People jaywalk across Cootes all the time. People smoke. People drink excessively and pass out at parties (both male and female). People torrent.

"You should know better" is not a valid solution to this problem.
Teenagers have sex.
Teenagers get pregnant.
We can't change the first fact. But we can give them access to help them deal with the possibility/reality of the second without ruining their lives.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-18-2012 at 12:03 PM   #20
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyridm View Post
Wow that end bit was kind of rude :(

I was hoping that the tone of my previous point would be read in an exasperated way and not accusatory...but alas much gets lost in the translation of text (not to mention you completely ignored the fact that I said I agreed with you...nice).
I was not trying to accuse you of sexism...although yes I guess the undertone is there.

To clarify: I was just saying that I didn't think you were using the correct terminology for what you were trying to imply...which I'm sorry, but thus lead me to find the title of your thread to be a bit offensive. A whore is essentially the same thing as being a prostitute where one is being paid for sexual acts. I think the word you were looking for was slut (as an overly promiscuous individual)... and even then, we really have no idea what goes on in these peoples lives or minds for us to be overly judgemental of their choices.

And just to clarify again, yes I agree these shows are dumb. People are just fascinated by watching it. *shrugs*
lol so if he had just titled it "Teen Sluts" - no offense taken and problem solved?
Old 07-18-2012 at 12:06 PM   #21
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

No, because there is still the problem of equating teenage mothers to teenage sluts. The blame falls on both parties or none, given that these pregnancies involved an equally responsible male partner. Ignoring that fact can be considered sexist, yes.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-18-2012 at 12:06 PM   #22
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Also side note; when do your promiscuous actions no longer make you a slut? Girl has sex with her boyfriend at 15? we say SLUT. Girl has sex with a differnt guy each night of the week, but shes in university? we say Exploring.

Amirite?
Old 07-18-2012 at 12:08 PM   #23
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
No, because there is still the problem of equating teenage mothers to teenage sluts. The blame falls on both parties or none, given that these pregnancies involved an equally responsible male partner. Ignoring that fact can be considered sexist, yes.
Its always going to be this way. When we will ever get society to congradulate women for sleeping around like the way it is for men. Or when will you see a man shamed for sleeping with a woman.

I cant even imagine such a world.
Old 07-18-2012 at 12:11 PM   #24
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Yes, the world will always be that way. Doesn't mean you shouldn't call it out when it happens if you believe it's wrong. The only way things change is if we take some responsibility for enacting change.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-18-2012 at 12:17 PM   #25
spyridm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
lol so if he had just titled it "Teen Sluts" - no offense taken and problem solved?
And this is why it is impossible to diffuse arguments on Macinsiders... everyone is willing to argue even if you agree with them... two minutes ago I am ranting about double standards and now I'm being accused of having sexist tendencies myself lol AND we have completely lost the point of the thread.

I don't agree with the name of this thread, period. It should have been "Teen moms..." and then there would not have been a problem. No need to call anyone a whore, slut, saint, prostitute, prude, one who puts-out, manwhore or whatever.
Old 07-18-2012 at 12:18 PM   #26
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

still... how does sleeping with your steady boyfriend make u a slut/whore?
Old 07-18-2012 at 12:18 PM   #27
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Well I suppose I didnt take it personally. If I had had a kid in my teens maybe I wouldve, but I think i still would have known he was judging the girls on the show.

Thats what reality tv is about; how am i better than the scum on these shows?
Old 07-18-2012 at 12:20 PM   #28
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
And this is why it is impossible to diffuse arguments on Macinsiders... everyone is willing to argue even if you agree with them... two minutes ago I am ranting about double standards and now I'm being accused of having sexist tendencies myself lol AND we have completely lost the point of the thread.

I don't agree with the name of this thread, period. It should have been "Teen moms..." and then there would not have been a problem. No need to call anyone a whore, slut, saint, prostitute, prude, one who puts-out, manwhore or whatever.
Okay I apologize, you're right we basically agree.

But I guess it didn't offend me, or I just dont care. Which is sad, I guess I have no drive for changing the world. But also it doesnt affect me.

May I ask why you were offended? Are you personalyl offended because of the teen mom subject? Or are you generally disgusted by sexism, judgement and hate.
Old 07-18-2012 at 12:37 PM   #29
spyridm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Okay I apologize, you're right we basically agree.

But I guess it didn't offend me, or I just dont care. Which is sad, I guess I have no drive for changing the world. But also it doesnt affect me.

May I ask why you were offended? Are you personalyl offended because of the teen mom subject? Or are you generally disgusted by sexism, judgement and hate.
Apology accepted and sorry if I was being snarky at all myself.

I myself am not a teenage mom, however I do know some ladies (I'm not close to them though) who are/were teen mothers and are perfectly competent. One fantastic lady in one of my group projects was a teen mom from my understanding and she did it all; school, work and taking care of her kid. I just feel like it is unfair to call someone a whore just because she was unlucky enough to get pregnant when it might not have been her desire.... but I do digress...

I guess I am moreso offended by sexism in general not specifically the teen mom part...it just irks me. There is so much hate in the world between races, classes, ages, genders and it is all just pointless. Now I'm not an ultra feminist or any sort of extremist but if something bothers me I will pipe up and say it... that is just a product of my parents raising me I guess. I also think that being someone who has been placed in a lot of leadership roles throughout highschool and university I am pretty much programmed to stand up for equality and what I think is morally right to maintain a properly functioning group (and this has obviously leaked into all the facets of my life).

Hope that answered your questions??
Old 07-18-2012 at 01:05 PM   #30
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Apology accepted and sorry if I was being snarky at all myself.

I myself am not a teenage mom, however I do know some ladies (I'm not close to them though) who are/were teen mothers and are perfectly competent. One fantastic lady in one of my group projects was a teen mom from my understanding and she did it all; school, work and taking care of her kid. I just feel like it is unfair to call someone a whore just because she was unlucky enough to get pregnant when it might not have been her desire.... but I do digress...

I guess I am moreso offended by sexism in general not specifically the teen mom part...it just irks me. There is so much hate in the world between races, classes, ages, genders and it is all just pointless. Now I'm not an ultra feminist or any sort of extremist but if something bothers me I will pipe up and say it... that is just a product of my parents raising me I guess. I also think that being someone who has been placed in a lot of leadership roles throughout highschool and university I am pretty much programmed to stand up for equality and what I think is morally right to maintain a properly functioning group (and this has obviously leaked into all the facets of my life).

Hope that answered your questions??

Yea I was just curious f course there are competent teenage moms out there! and I bet if I met one, I'd be able to tell right away that she had her head screwed on straight and there would be no form of "teenage whore" judgement in my mind.

But Teen Mom, the show, is just a whole other universe, do the laws of physics even apply there? I do not know. But I did like the one girl who stayed with her bf, and they both decided it would be better for the baby to give it up for adoption. They seemed to understand the reality of their situation.