MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Teen girl falls through massive unseen sidewalk sinkhole in China jim1 Politics 4 04-25-2012 04:35 AM
Support a Mac Student in the Aeropostale Real Teen Contest mlangille MacInsiders Announcements 6 03-25-2010 10:25 AM

Teen Mom

Old 07-18-2012 at 01:07 PM   #31
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

I have my concerns about this show because I'm afraid that in some way it might glorify having a child at a young age and while I believe most people that watch the show are smart enough to realize that it's just a TV show and that having a child at a young age would be extremely hard, I know that there are some people that may take it too literally and think omg I want to be on TV or I want to be a mom now.

I highly disagree with you calling these girls whores as was stated before and I also disagree with you saying they failed at life. Just because they had a kid at 16 they failed at life?! I completely disagree and that's a really silly judgement to make.

Just because it's on TV that doesn't mean it's GOOD TV. Have you ever watched a full episode? I think that there are some lessons that can be learned from this show and the girl who gave up her baby for adoption has displayed that process and has probably helped many girls (teens) and women as well. Giving up your baby for adoption is an extremely hard process and I feel like she has helped educate people on the issue and maybe allowed more women to come to terms with that decision, thus providing a better life for the baby.

So I agree some girls are just out for the fame but I do also think there are some genuine people on the show, before you decide to put people down like that maybe you should look a little further rather than jump to conclusions.
Old 07-18-2012 at 01:18 PM   #32
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Well I have this cousin (kind-of, hes not related), he developped early, about 6 feet tall at 12, needless to say he got all the girls. By 16 he was throwing parties when his parents were gone, having sex in their bed, leaving condoms around the house, totally disrespectful. Last I heard he has a kid with some girl! He's 18 now, thats good I guess, but all I could think is man he is not fit, this is going to be terrible, poor unborn baby!

Then my other cousin got so mad at me because her parents (my aunt) had her kids at 18, and wasnt married at first, and my cousins turned out good. So they were mad that I was judging. But its hard not too, I mean this guy could turn his life around and be responsible. But so far, I am worried, eeeek!
Old 07-18-2012 at 01:35 PM   #33
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Very poor choice of wording but I would call it uneducated actions. I'm sure many of them regret doing it later (stress, financial burdens, possible single motherhood) but it can't be considered as whoring. Women around 16 are in puberty and female hormones drive them insane. Biologically, puberty prepares a woman for reproduction. Thus, it isn't surprising that this is happening more and more considering the constant childhood exposure to sexuality.

In forms of a TV show, it could be educational and informative about the troubles. But in terms of entertainment, wtf..?
Old 07-18-2012 at 01:54 PM   #34
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

I would just like to second that, hormones deffinitely drive us insane

Entropy likes this.
Old 07-18-2012 at 02:05 PM   #35
mcmcmc

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Walked into the room last night to see my sister watching this show called Teen Moms. Basically documents the lives of kids that had babies in their teens and how they have coped. Why the heck is this considered good TV??? Your giving kids the oppurtunity to be on TV in exchange for them being teen whores. These people become celebrities for being a basic failure in life. What is wrong with women that they watch this crap and call it good TV? I say women because I know no man would be caught dead watching this excuse for reality tv. Someone please fill in the gaps for me here
lmfaooo, stop
Old 07-18-2012 at 02:18 PM   #36
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Is this one of those shows where a girl has a babby, gains like 400 pounds and then lives in a trailer with their boyfriend where they proceed to have ten more "beautiful and special children", who then grow up to become wife beater wearing rednecks?

If so, lol.

The only reality shows I watch are Hoarders and Pawn Stars (which is only semi-reality).
Old 07-18-2012 at 02:28 PM   #37
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Is this one of those shows where a girl has a babby, gains like 400 pounds and then lives in a trailer with their boyfriend where they proceed to have ten more "beautiful and special children", who then grow up to become wife beater wearing rednecks?

If so, lol.

The only reality shows I watch are Hoarders and Pawn Stars (which is only semi-reality).
Yay Hoarders! I might be on that show one day aha. Also you should watch Storage Wars :|

And now, this show is like teen girls with DRAMATIC lives who cant afford anything so they work at pizza shops while their mom or grandparents take care of their kid, and their boyfriend comes back to tell them he's been cheating or something, and she still goes out and parties. Thats a mashup of like all the story lines
Old 07-18-2012 at 05:00 PM   #38
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Hey, we best not be slutshaming. Being a "whore" "slut" or someone who sleeps around isn't a bad thing, as long you're being safe about it. Minors having children isn't something I support on the other hand, but if something happens it's not our place to judge, we have to make sure they're getting the support/education/resources needed so they can be the best parents they can be.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

RyanC, sarahsullz like this.
Old 07-18-2012 at 05:13 PM   #39
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

[quote=jamescw1234;326 447we have to make sure they're getting the support/education/resources needed so they can be the best parents they can be.[/QUOTE]

I dunno if support/education/resources includes TV show
Old 07-18-2012 at 05:27 PM   #40
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp31 View Post
I dunno if support/education/resources includes TV show
I'm talking generally, I don't think exploiting vulnerable people is the way to go.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 07-18-2012 at 10:30 PM   #41
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
The poster above does have grounds to question whether there's a sexist angle to the post. You said equated "teen whores" with "teen moms" (only women). You did not equate "teen whores" with "teen parents" (both genders). Hence, that's a pretty valid point.

No bushra you are wrong in this case. I only referred to the the mothers because the show is called teen mom, not teen parents. It is a play on words of the title of the show. So it would make no sense to do as you say and try associating teen whore with teen parents, when the whole point of that comment was directed at putting a spin on the show's title. So once again, it is not sexist since the show is not called teen parents, and your putting down of my response is also not valid as your point did not take into consideration the actual context of the original post.

And melanie, couldnt agree more with your comments!

Last edited by Chris23 : 07-19-2012 at 07:29 AM.

Melanieee likes this.
Old 07-18-2012 at 10:33 PM   #42
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
Hey, we best not be slutshaming. Being a "whore" "slut" or someone who sleeps around isn't a bad thing, as long you're being safe about it. Minors having children isn't something I support on the other hand, but if something happens it's not our place to judge, we have to make sure they're getting the support/education/resources needed so they can be the best parents they can be.
although you have a good point that it shouldnt be up to the general public to judge the show star's personal decisions, by putting their lives on a reality show, they are willingly opening themselves up to the ridicule and judgment of the general public. If they dont want to be subjected to the opinions of others, maybe they shouldnt have signed up for a show documenting their lifestyles
Old 07-18-2012 at 10:49 PM   #43
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

i hate this show. i'm from a city that has a high, if not highest, teen pregnancy rate. i see kids like the ones in the show so much >_>
Old 07-18-2012 at 11:04 PM   #44
Incognitus

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
Being a "whore" "slut" or someone who sleeps around isn't a bad thing, as long you're being safe about it.
Proof or it didn't happen? It's easy to throw words around...but you have to think about how justifiable a claim that truly is. While I'm not intending to start a debate on this issue since it's off topic...here's the bottom line: I have no right to tell you or anyone what to do with your personal life and that's not what this is about...

But to make the very bold claim that what someone is doing is safe implies that what they are doing is completely without risk. Adding risk into the equation means precisely that things aren't as safe as they seem. And quite frankly, the science and the statistics don't lie: people get STDs from having sex (there's a shocker).

Even if you want to claim that "human error" accounts for that, and in such cases "they weren't being safe" it is undeniably a risk you take when you "sleep around" (your words) with someone you don't know. No matter how safe you think you're being, there are always unwarranted risks.

EDIT: Just want to note that I'm not directly intending on disagreeing with your claim. This is simply something I've wondered about, and upon closer analysis, the issue becomes far more complex. Perhaps saying "Safe sex" is an oxymoron, and perhaps not. And if you have a satisfactory response I'd enjoy reading it.

--------------------

Back on topic: I think people might be missing the point: No, I don't see a problem with labeling them as "sluts" and "whores." The day I see teen males exploiting their situation on a "teen dads" show, I'll call them sluts and whores too....that and douchebags.

Last edited by Incognitus : 07-18-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-19-2012 at 02:28 AM   #45
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Unless you can say that you've never engaged in activity that involves no risk of pregnancy, you really have no right to judge as otherwise you're being a hypocrite. And no using both condoms and oral contraceptives is not 0 risk. Typical use failure would still be 1.2% (15%*8%) meaning that there would be a 1.2% chance using both as typically used that a pregnancy would occur in a year. Perfect use is still nonzero at 0.006%.

The equation of girl has sex as a teenager and gets pregnant with "whore" IS sexist. The only way around it is if you also condemn any guy who takes the same risk (including your former teenaged self) with the same label.

Also keep in mind in the future that teen pregnancies are not uncommon and that you probably have called forum members or their mothers "whores"