MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Television Network MACTV Clubs & Groups 0 09-18-2009 06:36 PM
McMaster Television Network MACTV MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-18-2009 06:32 PM
Cable/Television jhan523 General Discussion 23 09-01-2009 06:59 PM
Fall Primetime Television Schedule! mitch General Discussion 9 08-28-2008 02:16 PM

Television

Old 08-13-2008 at 07:00 PM   #1
marcotdj

Liked: 0 Times

Television
Is it possible to put a tv in a traditional room. Are we allowed to mount it on the wall. (This would involve a hammer and nails)
Old 08-13-2008 at 07:14 PM   #2
JBeans

Liked: 14 Times

I have known people to bring a small tv into rez.
You cannot mount it on the wall though. You can't make any holes in the walls and they're also brick

marcotdj says thanks to JBeans for this post.
Old 08-14-2008 at 12:32 AM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

This brings up a question... if you just happen to damage the walls, can you repair them yourself? Lol Like mix some cement and then paint over it? I know it would be more expensive than actually paying the university to do it. But let's just say it was cheaper...
Old 08-15-2008 at 01:57 AM   #4
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Haha, well, unofficially you could, yes, but you're not supposed to.....but if you did such a good job that they don't even notice anything wrong when they do your move-out inspection, then in theory you'd be fine. Oh, and if it were possible to do yourself, I'm almost certain it'd be cheaper - Mac's Physical Plant charges a lot.

Having said that, matching the texture and/or paint may be an issue, and I don't want to know what you'd be doing in your room to break the cinderblocks on your walls :p

A funny story that I heard once (which may or may not be apocryphal) has to do with some damages in a Bates apartment. Now, Bates (and some other buildings) have drywall walls in the apartments, which is much more easily damaged than concrete, obviously. Apparently, during a rather wild evening, someone ran into a wall and basically put a person-sized hole in it. The noise apparently alerted the building staff, which saw said hole, and proceeded to write up the residents for the damage they caused. This meant that a work order was also put in to Physical Plant to repair the wall, the cost of which would be billed to the residents. So several days later Physical Plant shows up to fix the massive hole - and they can't find it. Apparently, over the weekend the residents decided to fix it themselves, hoping to do it much more cheaply than what they would have otherwise been charged. And they did an amazingly good job. I don't know if you've ever worked with drywall, but it takes practice and a fair amount of skill to put it up seamlessly - but apparently they did it, and even painted it a close enough colour that it wasn't noticeably different from the rest of the wall. Apparently their work satisfied Housing enough that an "official" repair wasn't needed, and they weren't charged for it.

True or not, I think it's a pretty amusing story.
Old 08-15-2008 at 02:03 AM   #5
Leraison

Liked: 0 Times

I heard a similar story about a guy who forgot his key and didn't want to have to pay (since he'd done it so many times) so he punched a whole through his wall in order to twist his door know ad get in and then lightly covered it up (with stuff that wasn't very strong.) So the story of this passed along so much so that some guy broke into his apartment by punching the exact same place which was apparently really easy since it wasn't strong and stole a bunch of stuff.

Dont know if its true or not...
Old 08-15-2008 at 02:10 AM   #6
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Hah, that's a good one too, I'd never heard that. Although it's actually somewhat plausible considering what they charge you to get a lock-out key :p
Old 08-15-2008 at 09:55 AM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Lmao, those are some great stories. Those dry-wallers should go look for jobs XD There is an incredibly high demand for dry-wallers these days. Although, I don't know if that's changing with the decline of housing being built.