MacInsiders Logo

Tell me about the porgram you're in :)

Old 10-07-2010 at 05:18 PM   #1
teedee

Liked: 1 Time

Tell me about the porgram you're in :)
Hello everyone, my name is Tina and I'm a grade 12 student who really wants to go to McMaster, but I really have NO IDEA as to which program(s) I want to apply to.
I've (thoroughly) looked at mac's website, but I would also like some opinions from students.
I was thinking about health sciences, nursing, arts and science, and engineering...

If any of you could tell me about the programs that you are currently in (especially first years), I would really appreciate it.
The grade 12 courses that I will/have complete(d) are:

Biology (SBI4UN)
Chemistry (SCH4UN)
English (ENG4UN)
Calculus (MCV4U)
Physics (SPH4U)
Functions (MHF4UN)
World History (CHY4U)
Law (CLN4U)
Accounting (BAT4M)
Data Management (MDM4U)

(and yes, i know that's a lot, but i took 2 last year in grade 11)

So with these courses, what programs should I be looking in to?

Thank you!
Old 10-07-2010 at 05:21 PM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Good, you're not considering Commerce.
Keep it that way.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-07-2010 at 05:21 PM   #3
teedee

darn it, I spelled "program" wrong.
sorry about that. :(
Old 10-07-2010 at 05:23 PM   #4
teedee

http://www.macinsiders.com/newreply.php?do=newre ply&p=182406
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Keep it that way.
hah, i'm not really interested in business-related courses
Old 10-07-2010 at 05:28 PM   #5
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Keep it that way.
Im curious as to why you think this?
Old 10-07-2010 at 05:33 PM   #6
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
Im curious as to why you think this?
For once on MI, don't go offtopic! :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedee View Post
Hello everyone, my name is Tina and I'm a grade 12 student who really wants to go to McMaster, but I really have NO IDEA as to which program(s) I want to apply to.
I've (thoroughly) looked at mac's website, but I would also like some opinions from students.
I was thinking about health sciences, nursing, arts and science, and engineering...

If any of you could tell me about the programs that you are currently in (especially first years), I would really appreciate it.
The grade 12 courses that I will/have complete(d) are:

Biology (SBI4UN)
Chemistry (SCH4UN)
English (ENG4UN)
Calculus (MCV4U)
Physics (SPH4U)
Functions (MHF4UN)
World History (CHY4U)
Law (CLN4U)
Accounting (BAT4M)
Data Management (MDM4U)

(and yes, i know that's a lot, but i took 2 last year in grade 11)

So with these courses, what programs should I be looking in to?

Thank you!
Anything but Engineering, it kills. (everyone except Comp Sci students)
Old 10-07-2010 at 05:34 PM   #7
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Life Science.
Old 10-07-2010 at 05:37 PM   #8
drhorrible

Liked: 98 Times

Well, what are you interested in? Do you have any general ideas about what you want to do in the future?

Did you enjoy your physics and math courses? Did you do really well in them? Have you looked into what types of engineers there are and what they do? If you answered no to any of those questions, you might want to do a little bit of research before considering engineering. I know far too many people who got into engineering in their first year, hated it, and switched out... usually because they didn't do their research before going into the program/overestimated their love for math and physics, lol.

As for health sciences, do you have the marks, volunteer experience and extracurriculars? If not, you likely won't get in... not to be harsh, just so you can save some time from not having to fill out that supplementary application if that's the case. If you have the marks, etc... go for it. From what I've seen, the faculty is very nice to their students, which is always a plus.

Nursing is great, but would you be doing it as a "stepping stone" to medical school? I know a lot of high school students consider doing this... but honestly, that would be a complete waste of time and energy. Med schools don't really care about your background or what school you came from... all they look at are the marks and your MCAT scores. It would be smarter to go into something that's less stressful. However, if you are good with people and think nursing might be for you, then go for it. Have you ever had any experience interacting with nurses and see what their jobs entail? If not, it would be a good idea to get some exposure. Find a volunteer position at a hospital, talk to some nurses and see if it might be for you.

teedee says thanks to drhorrible for this post.
Old 10-07-2010 at 05:39 PM   #9
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Just pick a program at random. Thats pretty much what I did. Seems to be alrite so far.

teedee likes this.
Old 10-07-2010 at 05:40 PM   #10
AK05

Liked: 0 Times

Bachelors of Science in Nursing
Old 10-07-2010 at 05:47 PM   #11
gongshow

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
hah, i'm not really interested in business-related courses
I think she was being sarcastic. Fact you are taking accountants.
Old 10-07-2010 at 05:49 PM   #12
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongshow View Post
I think she was being sarcastic. Fact you are taking accountants.
Why would I be sarcastic?
I HATE commerce at Mac. It's a ****ing joke.

>> because being well rounded is important when you want to be an accountant (which is all Mac is "good" for)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-07-2010 at 06:02 PM   #13
teedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhorrible View Post
Well, what are you interested in? Do you have any general ideas about what you want to do in the future?

Did you enjoy your physics and math courses? Did you do really well in them? Have you looked into what types of engineers there are and what they do? If you answered no to any of those questions, you might want to do a little bit of research before considering engineering. I know far too many people who got into engineering in their first year, hated it, and switched out... usually because they didn't do their research before going into the program/overestimated their love for math and physics, lol.

As for health sciences, do you have the marks, volunteer experience and extracurriculars? If not, you likely won't get in... not to be harsh, just so you can save some time from not having to fill out that supplementary application if that's the case. If you have the marks, etc... go for it. From what I've seen, the faculty is very nice to their students, which is always a plus.

Nursing is great, but would you be doing it as a "stepping stone" to medical school? I know a lot of high school students consider doing this... but honestly, that would be a complete waste of time and energy. Med schools don't really care about your background or what school you came from... all they look at are the marks and your MCAT scores. It would be smarter to go into something that's less stressful. However, if you are good with people and think nursing might be for you, then go for it. Have you ever had any experience interacting with nurses and see what their jobs entail? If not, it would be a good idea to get some exposure. Find a volunteer position at a hospital, talk to some nurses and see if it might be for you.
Well actually, I love physics, but I suck at it. I hate math, but I'm actually good at it. hehe. Sooo maybe not engineering, it was just a thought. And as for health sciences, I do have the marks (90+) & (my goal is 95 for top 6), and a wide variation of volunteer-experience, and a couple of extra-curriculars. I've already read and saved the supplementary application questions that they're asking for this year, and I plan on starting them soon, and I'm going to spend a couple of months editing and rewriting my responses. Nursing is kinda the back up plan, in case health sciences rejects me. But I heard Mac has a great nursing program, so I actually wouldn't mind going into it.
Old 10-07-2010 at 06:05 PM   #14
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Quote:
And as for health sciences, I do have the marks (90+) & (my goal is 95 for top 6), and a wide variation of volunteer-experience, and a couple of extra-curriculars.
lol... that's completely irrelevant. Everyone applying has/had those grades and volunteering hours including myself. It just depends on how good you're application is... even then its a matter of luck. Trust me.

Good luck though.
Old 10-07-2010 at 06:12 PM   #15
teedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogant View Post
lol... that's completely irrelevant. Everyone applying has/had those grades and volunteering hours including myself. It just depends on how good you're application is... even then its a matter of luck. Trust me.

Good luck though.
So I don't have to work my butt off for a 95? A 90 is just as good? Thank goodnesssssss and thank you! I will try my best on the application.